Re: [ARRL-LOTW] New computer/certificate renewal

  • Bill Hawkins
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
      Thanks Dave,
      Part of this works well.
      I found the certificate and it expires 2005-09-10, so it is still good.
      I clicked on download and it saved it to desktop.
      I go to desktop and click on Certs but it comes up the same as before--"Expired".
      I tried it again a couple of ways, but still expired.
      Now, this is a new computer with Win XP. Wonder if this could cause some type of problem like firewalls, etc?
      Might have to give ARRL a call.
      Bill W5EC

      Bill:
      Well lets do this.....go to the LOTW site, click on "Your Account" and then
      click on "Your Certificate".  Now your certificate and all it's info will
      appear including the expire date.
      If all is in order, click on "download certificate" link and you will then
      have a good replacement certificate to work with.  Remember, you can see and
      review the data before you download it......
      What you DON'T want to do is order a new certificate if the one you have is
      valid...this really messes things up...I have been there!
      If all else fails, give LOTW a phone call before you go and order
      certificates.  There most helpful Bill.

      73, Dave K8GVK

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
        At 10:00 PM 8/21/2005, Bill Hawkins wrote:
        >Thanks Dave,
        >Part of this works well.
        >I found the certificate and it expires 2005-09-10, so it is still good.
        >I clicked on download and it saved it to desktop.
        >I go to desktop and click on Certs but it comes up the same as
        >before--"Expired".

        OK, dumb question, perhaps.
        What is the date on your computer? Right click on the time in the right
        hand side of the taskbar and click "Adjust Date/Time". Is the date
        correct, including the month and year?

        >I tried it again a couple of ways, but still expired.
        >Now, this is a new computer with Win XP. Wonder if this could cause
        >some type of problem like firewalls, etc?

        Nope, no possible problem with the windows firewall. If you've managed
        to download the file, it's already on your computer and not subject to
        firewall rules.
        Either you don't have a valid certificate (it's expired already), or
        your computer's date is wrong making it look like the cert is no longer
        valid.