Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: tqsl

  • Art
    Message 1 of 24 , May 23 6:17 PM
      Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. With out all of the
      replys I would have missed some important things. Thanks again.

      73
      Art
      WB4MNK

      Message 2 of 24 , May 23 7:55 PM
        At 06:06 PM 5/23/2005, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

        >Rick (K1MU) writes:
        >
        > > You're right, there ought to be a way to export this.
        > >
        > > The location data is in the TrustedQSL data folder; on my
        > > machine it's in C:\Documents and Settings\rmurphy\Application
        > > Data\TrustedQSL\station_data (where 'rmurphy' is my username,
        > > of course. This is on Windows XP).
        > > You could probably save this file and restore it to your new
        > > hard drive.
        >
        >You are correct ... you can backup the "Station_Data" file.
        >However, since the "Application Data" directory is normally a
        >hidden/system directory on "normal" WindowsXP/Win2K systems
        >it is something beyond a "safe" recommendation.

        I don't think there's anything "unsafe" about backing up that one file
        and restoring it to the new system. It's a simple XML-format text file,
        after all.

        >TrustedQSL should have a means of saving/restoring the station
        >location data in any case. It's a "hole" in the design of the
        >software.

        I agree. See the first line of my original reply to this thread.
        -Rick
      • nf4lham
        Message 3 of 24 , May 28 2:35 PM
          Rick -
          I agree backing up/restoring that file would be safe. AFAICT there's
          nothing special about the hidden directories.

          I'm curious about it's location on 98 machines. It's been too long
          since I had one. Does anyone know? Would it be reasonably safe to
          assume (yeh, I know) the location to be defined as "current user/app
          data"? Or it that a construct of only NT type systems?

          Wonder what would be the result of 2 hams, 1 computer, same computer
          login? Actually I don't log on (overtly) to any of my 3 Windows XP
          machines.

          What I'm after is a way to read the location(s) to pass as a command
          line parameter to tqsl for creating the .tq8 file for uploading.

          While the TQSL source code is available, it's almost impossible for
          anyone without a Linux box to unpack (right Dave?).

          73, Mike NF4L

          Message 4 of 24 , May 28 4:21 PM
            At 05:35 PM 5/28/2005, nf4lham wrote:
            >Rick -
            >I agree backing up/restoring that file would be safe. AFAICT there's
            >nothing special about the hidden directories.

            I don't know about that ("nothing special about the hidden
            directories") in general, but for this specific case backing up and
            restoring that file appears to be safe. I tried that and it appeared to
            work. I didn't suggest backing up the certificates that are also in
            that directory tree as I hadn't tried that. It appears that restoring
            that entire directory tree moves the certificates and other TQSL data
            and it all fits on a single floppy for me.

            >I'm curious about it's location on 98 machines. It's been too long
            >since I had one. Does anyone know? Would it be reasonably safe to
            >assume (yeh, I know) the location to be defined as "current user/app
            >data"? Or it that a construct of only NT type systems?

            For Windows '98 the files go into C:\Windows\Application Data\TrustedQSL.

            >Wonder what would be the result of 2 hams, 1 computer, same computer
            >login? Actually I don't log on (overtly) to any of my 3 Windows XP
            >machines.

            You'll have one certificate and location database. With different
            callsigns you should still be OK, but I think it'd be confusing.

            >What I'm after is a way to read the location(s) to pass as a command
            >line parameter to tqsl for creating the .tq8 file for uploading.
            >
            >While the TQSL source code is available, it's almost impossible for
            >anyone without a Linux box to unpack (right Dave?).

            The source .tar.gz file can be opened using WinZIP.
            -Rick
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 24 , May 28 5:06 PM
              I didn't have any trouble unpacking TQSL on a windows box -- there are zip
              archives available.

              TQSLLib provides access to the information you seek; use the new version
              that can be invoked via VB.

              I agree backing up/restoring that file would be safe. AFAICT there's nothing
              special about the hidden directories.

              I'm curious about it's location on 98 machines. It's been too long since I
              had one. Does anyone know? Would it be reasonably safe to assume (yeh, I
              know) the location to be defined as "current user/app data"? Or it that a
              construct of only NT type systems?

              Wonder what would be the result of 2 hams, 1 computer, same computer login?
              Actually I don't log on (overtly) to any of my 3 Windows XP machines.

              What I'm after is a way to read the location(s) to pass as a command line
              parameter to tqsl for creating the .tq8 file for uploading.

              While the TQSL source code is available, it's almost impossible for anyone
              without a Linux box to unpack (right Dave?).

              73, Mike NF4L

              --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@i...> wrote:
              > At 06:06 PM 5/23/2005, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:
              >
              > >Rick (K1MU) writes:
              > >
              > > > You're right, there ought to be a way to export this.
              > > >
              > > > The location data is in the TrustedQSL data folder; on my machine
              > > > it's in C:\Documents and Settings\rmurphy\Application
              > > > Data\TrustedQSL\station_data (where 'rmurphy' is my username, of
              > > > course. This is on Windows XP). You could probably save this file
              > > > and restore it to your new hard drive.
              > >
              > >You are correct ... you can backup the "Station_Data" file. However,
              > >since the "Application Data" directory is normally a hidden/system
              > >directory on "normal" WindowsXP/Win2K systems it is something beyond
              > >a "safe" recommendation.
              >
              > I don't think there's anything "unsafe" about backing up that one file
              > and restoring it to the new system. It's a simple XML-format text file,
              > after all.
              >
              > >TrustedQSL should have a means of saving/restoring the station
              > >location data in any case. It's a "hole" in the design of the
              > >software.
              >
              > I agree. See the first line of my original reply to this thread.
              > -Rick

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Ben Coleman NJ8J
              • nf4lham
                Message 7 of 24 , May 29 4:12 AM
                  Rick -
                  Thanks for the info. I'd downloaded the .rpm. I'll get the tar. Sure
                  would have been nice to have the path to the file in the registry like
                  the exe. And have the password as a command line parm. I guess if it
                  were easy, we wouldn't get the big bux. Wait.... I'm not getting paid.
                  :=>
                  73, Mike NF4L

                  --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@i...> wrote:
                  > At 05:35 PM 5/28/2005, nf4lham wrote:
                  > >Rick -
                  > >I agree backing up/restoring that file would be safe. AFAICT there's
                  > >nothing special about the hidden directories.
                  >
                  > I don't know about that ("nothing special about the hidden
                  > directories") in general, but for this specific case backing up and
                  > restoring that file appears to be safe. I tried that and it appeared to
                  > work. I didn't suggest backing up the certificates that are also in
                  > that directory tree as I hadn't tried that. It appears that restoring
                  > that entire directory tree moves the certificates and other TQSL data
                  > and it all fits on a single floppy for me.
                  >
                  > >I'm curious about it's location on 98 machines. It's been too long
                  > >since I had one. Does anyone know? Would it be reasonably safe to
                  > >assume (yeh, I know) the location to be defined as "current user/app
                  > >data"? Or it that a construct of only NT type systems?
                  >
                  > For Windows '98 the files go into C:\Windows\Application
                  Data\TrustedQSL.

                  > >Wonder what would be the result of 2 hams, 1 computer, same computer
                  > >login? Actually I don't log on (overtly) to any of my 3 Windows XP
                  > >machines.
                  >
                  > You'll have one certificate and location database. With different
                  > callsigns you should still be OK, but I think it'd be confusing.
                  >
                  > >What I'm after is a way to read the location(s) to pass as a command
                  > >line parameter to tqsl for creating the .tq8 file for uploading.
                  > >
                  > >While the TQSL source code is available, it's almost impossible for
                  > >anyone without a Linux box to unpack (right Dave?).
                  >
                  > The source .tar.gz file can be opened using WinZIP.
                  > -Rick
                • nf4lham
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 29 4:29 AM
                    Thanks, Ben -
                    I'll look into it.
                    73, Mike NF4L

                  • nf4lham
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 29 12:41 PM
                      Dave -
                      I got the tar unpacked. Now if I can remember enough C.......

                      What do you mean by "new version that can be invoked via VB." Is there
                      a different interface other than calling a method in a dll? I did get
                      the doc, and have been wading thru it.

                      73, Mike NF4L

                      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aa6yq@a...> wrote:
                      > I didn't have any trouble unpacking TQSL on a windows box -- there
                      are zip
                      > archives available.
                      >
                      > TQSLLib provides access to the information you seek; use the new version
                      > that can be invoked via VB.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      >
                      > Dave, AA6YQ

                      On Behalf
                      > Of nf4lham
                      > Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 17:36 PM
                      > To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: tqsl
                      >

                      > Rick -
                      > I agree backing up/restoring that file would be safe. AFAICT there's
                      nothing
                      > special about the hidden directories.
                      >
                      > I'm curious about it's location on 98 machines. It's been too long
                      since I
                      > had one. Does anyone know? Would it be reasonably safe to assume (yeh, I
                      > know) the location to be defined as "current user/app data"? Or it
                      that a
                      > construct of only NT type systems?
                      >
                      > Wonder what would be the result of 2 hams, 1 computer, same computer
                      login?
                      > Actually I don't log on (overtly) to any of my 3 Windows XP machines.
                      >
                      > What I'm after is a way to read the location(s) to pass as a command
                      line
                      > parameter to tqsl for creating the .tq8 file for uploading.
                      >
                      > While the TQSL source code is available, it's almost impossible for
                      anyone
                      > without a Linux box to unpack (right Dave?).
                      >
                      > 73, Mike NF4L
                      >
                      > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@i...>
                      wrote:

                      > > >You are correct ... you can backup the "Station_Data" file. However,
                      > > >since the "Application Data" directory is normally a hidden/system
                      > > >directory on "normal" WindowsXP/Win2K systems it is something beyond
                      > > >a "safe" recommendation.
                      > >
                      > > I don't think there's anything "unsafe" about backing up that one file
                      > > and restoring it to the new system. It's a simple XML-format text
                      file,
                      > > after all.
                      > >
                      > > >TrustedQSL should have a means of saving/restoring the station
                      > > >location data in any case. It's a "hole" in the design of the
                      > > >software.
                      > >
                      > > I agree. See the first line of my original reply to this thread.
                      > > -Rick
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 29 1:04 PM
                        Earlier versions of TQSLLib could not be invoked from VB. The most recent
                        version of TQSLLib can be so invoked.

                        73,

                        Dvae, AA6YQ

                        I see the .rpm and tar files. I got the rpm of course. What do you mean by
                        "new version that can be invoked via VB." Is there a different interface
                        other than calling a method in a dll? I did get the doc, and have been
                        wadeing thru it.
                        73, Mike

                        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <aa6yq@a...> wrote:
                        > I didn't have any trouble unpacking TQSL on a windows box -- there
                        are zip
                        > archives available.
                        >
                        > TQSLLib provides access to the information you seek; use the new
                        > version that can be invoked via VB.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Dave, AA6YQ

                        file,
                        > > after all.
                        > >
                        > > >TrustedQSL should have a means of saving/restoring the station
                        > > >location data in any case. It's a "hole" in the design of the
                        > > >software.
                        > >
                        > > I agree. See the first line of my original reply to this thread.
                        > > -Rick

                      • nf4lham
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 29 7:26 PM
                          Dave -
                          If a user has an older version, and the functions were not exported,
                          this isn't going to work. All I can do is warn MY users to get the
                          latest. AFAICT there is only V2 on SourceForge. I'm using Delphi, not
                          VB. I'm trying to dope out which function(s) need to be called, and
                          translate the parms from C to Delphi. It's been a long time since I
                          did C++.

                        • wb4mnk
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 21, 2008
                            We have been using LOTW for a few years and we had a computer crash so
                            am trying to get LOTW up and working again. We received a new
                            certificate today but when we double click the attachment we get an
                            error saying certificate or private key not found. Have same problem
                            when we use the load certificate file from the program. I have no clue
                            on how to get this program working again. I have read I think all of
                            the instructions to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

                            73,
                            Art
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 21, 2008
                              At 10:05 PM 10/21/2008, wb4mnk wrote:

                              >We have been using LOTW for a few years and we had a computer crash so
                              >am trying to get LOTW up and working again. We received a new
                              >certificate today but when we double click the attachment we get an
                              >error saying certificate or private key not found. Have same problem
                              >when we use the load certificate file from the program. I have no clue
                              >on how to get this program working again. I have read I think all of
                              >the instructions to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

                              You missed this from the FAQ: https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#crash

                              If you didn't back up your key pair as a .p12 file, you must start over.
                              Issue a new certificate request and upload it to LotW.
                            • Art
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 22, 2008
                                Hi Rick,

                                Thank you for the information.

                                73,
                                Art

                              • dchamguy@att.net
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                                  Thanks to the writers, beta testers, and those who have posted input to the 2.0.3 version of tqsl.
                                  It operates so smooth and flawlessly that it is a program that a non-guru can operate without major learning curves.

                                  Now, if only I was a better typer, it would not be so difficult to enter manually!  (but you can't have everything)

                                  Dale K8TS