Re: [ARRL-LOTW] TQSL 2.0-RC6 Release

  • Rick Murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
      On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

      > I'll have to install the current TQSL on the on machine here at home
      > running Window 8. I stay mostly away from machine that since it's so
      > completely unusable.

      Installs and appears to operate just fine on Windows 8 other than the
      lack of signature. Don't know what you mean by Windows 8 being
      completely unusable

      Sorry for the off-topic rant. However, for me, as delivered, it's very frustrating to use. Flaky "gestures", only one window at a time, flipping back and forth between "Metro" and "Classic" depending on what you run.

      - I've loaded Classic Shell and dispensed with the
      "Modern" interface and Windows 8 looks essentially like Windows 7 at
      this point.

      If this were my computer, I'd do that, or upgrade it to Windows 7. I've avoided using 8 largely due to the massive re-learning curve.

      Both are orders of magnitude more stable/reliable than
      the antiquated XP.

      Yes, of course. Especially with Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP.

      Windows 7 is a major improvement; people should be planning to get off of XP soon, so perhaps 8 but at least Windows 7.
      Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
        On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Rick Murphy <k1mu@...> wrote:

        > Yes, of course. Especially with Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP.
        >
        > Windows 7 is a major improvement; people should be planning to get off of XP soon, so perhaps 8 but at least Windows 7.
        > 73,

        XP lost most of its instability after SP2. And I say that as a
        20-year UNIX admin with no love (none) for Microsoft.

        I waited until the first SP came out for W7 and it's been rock solid.
        I did have my first BSOD the other week when I was trying to work out
        an integration issue between my RigExpert and MMTTY but I'd goofed
        around with drivers and other stuff so much, I didn't hold it against
        the OS.

        The only potential reason you might stay with XP SP3 is that your
        hardware won't run W7. Even so, it's worth a try. AFAIK, you can't
        boot a W7 install disc
        "live" the way you can with most Linux distributions. That would let
        a person try before they buy. It either works with their hardware or
        it doesn't.

        But I still use a Macbook Pro with OS X and an Ubuntu desktop at work.
        W7 is only on the radio PC at N5UWY and trapped in various VMs to
        support certain software.