RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Help requested - LOTW

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2013

      What version of TQSL are you using, Jim? On what version of Windows are you running?

      The next time this happens, please contact me via

      aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

      so I can see what’s going on.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2013
        I never saw the original posting (thanks, Yahoo.)

        However, if you're simultaneously losing your certificates and your station locations, then the problem is probably caused by Windows deciding that something is wrong with your user profile and creating a new one.

        If/when this happens again, we can tell you how to look for the lost files. They're probably still there, just not where TQSL expects them to be.

        On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

        What version of TQSL are you using, Jim? On what version of Windows are you running?

        The next time this happens, please contact me via

        aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

        so I can see what’s going on.

        I have been using LOTW for something like two years now and for the most part it has worked flawlessly ..... except for - it occasionally loses my certificate and station location. I would not be too concerned but this has happened several times now and it is down right annoying because it always happens on a Friday evening after the ARRL is closed (usually for a long weekend).

        Any idea what causes this malady?

        Any thoughts appreciated

        Jim

        No virus found in this message.

        Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA
      • _
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013
          Dave,
          I believe it was version 1.1 I know it was one version back from the current one but I have now updated the TQSL program (probably prematurely).

          I am using WIN7 home premium and it is a quad core processor so plenty of horsepower.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013
            Well that's about right.. I have always said windows is a virus not I got proof LOL thanks Dave I will do that.. for now lets see if they send me a new cert. and YES it lost both the cert and location.

            thanks again

            Jim

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2013

              Please start TQSL, open the Help menu, and select the About command. What version of TQSL is shown?

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                it shows V1.14.3 build is what it says. WHere do you find the lost information and what are the names of the files.

                Thanks again for your help

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                  On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM, _ <aat3ok@...> wrote:

                  it shows V1.14.3 build is what it says. WHere do you find the lost information and what are the names of the files.

                  Thanks again for your help

                  Answering that is complicated due to the fact that Microsoft (assuming you're using Windows) moves stuff around.

                  The file you're interested in finding is a folder with a file called "station_data".
                  For Windows XP, that should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\TrustedQSL\"
                  If it got lost somehow due to Windows burping, it'll be a "station_data" file somewhere under "Documents and Settings".

                  For Vista and later, it'll be in 'C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\TrustedQSL"

                  What I suggest doing is searching for that station_data file and recovering using that and the rest of that folder. There's several other files that are important there that have the certificate information that also needs to be restored.

                  This could, of course, be avoided with simple backups.
                • _
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10, 2013
                    Thanks Dave... well I will look but backups are getting increasingly harder to do. This is stored on a 2TB drive so that is a bit of data.