Re: [ARRL-LOTW] RE: Renewal Question

  • iain macdonnell - N6ML
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6 5:59 PM
      The main thing should be that you generate the request before the old
      cert expires, as the old cert is used to sign the request, and you
      can't generate a valid signature with an expired cert. Technically,
      the request should still be valid after the old cert expires, so long
      as it generated before, but it's possible that the issuance process
      would reject a renewal request if the old cert has expired, even if
      the signature was valid.

      In any case, it's best not to leave it 'til the last minute!

      73,

      ~iain / N6ML

      On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM, <ljwest@...> wrote:

      > If I'm reading the LOTW instructions correctly, the important part is that the new cert is applied for and issued BEFORE the expiration. Installing it after the expiration should work fine, just like installing the first cert.
      >

      > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, <arrl-lotw@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > I was helping a friend renew his certificate and he has completed the process. Just for future reference, as I know some folks like to procrastinate and of course renew at the last minute, if you get a renewed certificate from the ARRL but don't actually get it loaded before the expiration date will they have to get a completely new certificate or is the TQ5 good as long as it was issued before the original expired?
      >

      > --
      > Phil Snyder
      > N9LAH
      > Get the new WUST award from the Metro DX Club
      > http://www.metrodxclub.com/wust_award.htm

    • Phil Snyder