RE: tQSL "new release"

  • Phil Cooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013

      Hi all,

      This is mainly for Dave and Rick......

      One issue that has caused me to ponder the situation each time I have had to renew my certificate is the password option.

      The first time I saw it, I presumed it meant THE password (that I provided), which is what I entered.

      I now gather it means any password you decide to choose, should you need to upload logs from a public computer somewhere.

      I wonder if this step is really necessary (I am sure it is for some folk), or maybe it needs to be clarified with an option describing what function it has.

      Since that first time, I have now used it without a password, so that when I use DXKeeper to upload new QSO's to LoTW, I don't need to add a password to the process.

      However, the first time I went this route, I did wonder whether my contacts would be uploaded correctly.

      I rarely use the TQSL command line approach now, as DXKeeper has all this built-in, making the whole process seamless.

      My one bug-bear in the past has been to out that a certificate needs renewing ONLY when it has been refused for being out of date.

      Dave, your email to the LoTW group appears to say that these functions will only be available if you invoke TQSL directly:

      - a new version of TQSL is available

      - a new version of TQSL's Configuration Data file is available

      - a Callsign Certificate will expire in the next 30 days

      - a requested Callsign Certificate is available

      You then said:

      To enable applications that invoke TQSL via its command line interface to obtain the above information and convey it to the user, TQSL 2.0 includes a new command line switch. Subscribers to the ARRL's "LoTW Devel" mailing list have been notified that this new switch is available. You might mention this to the developer of your logging application; it's described in the TQSL 2.0 documentation.

      Does this mean that DXKeeper WILL inform us of these functions?

      73 de Phil GU0SUP

    • Rick Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
        Phil,
        As a computer security guy, I feel obligated to recommend having a password set on your callsign certificates. However, the reality is that for almost everyone there's no reason to do that. It causes unnecessary confusion (which password do I use for this?), is kept separately for each callsign certificate (so, if you have 3 certificates you can have three passwords to keep track of).

        If you're on a private computer in your home, there's very little reason for password protecting your callsign certificates. If you're on a shared computer, then it's a good idea.

        I recommend that people not bother - it's just another thing to keep track of that really doesn't add much additional security.

        I'll let Dave respond to the "updates available" feature and DXKeeper question.

        --
        Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013

          You then said:

          To enable applications that invoke TQSL via its command line interface to obtain the above information and convey it to the user,
          TQSL 2.0 includes a new command line switch. Subscribers to the ARRL's "LoTW Devel" mailing list have been notified that this new
          switch is available. You might mention this
          to the developer of your logging application; it's described in the TQSL 2.0 documentation.

          Does this mean that DXKeeper WILL inform us of these functions?

          >>>The current version of DXKeeper does not have this capability, Phil.

          >>>As of a few minutes ago, the next version of DXKeeper queries TQSL for "news" on startup; if there's "news", it's displayed in an
          "always on top" window.

          <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/UpdatesFromLotW.jpg>

        • Phil Cooper
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
            Dave and Rick,

            Many thanks to you both for explaining this.
            I appreciate I should know this already, but some things aren't as clear as
            they could be with TQSL!

            Rick, that password is confusing, and I do appreciate why it is there. My
            thought was to make this a bit clearer when it comes up, as by then, most of
            us have gone past the instruction-reading part!
            I am also sure that many (as I did first time round) enter the password that
            they supplied to the LoTW team for signing their logs.
            This would seem to defeat the purpose.

            Dave, my point here is that I, and probably many others using the DXLab
            suite, rarely ever fire up TQSL directly, as it is so neatly worked into
            DXKeeper.
            I was therefore hoping that any message about my certificate expiring soon
            would be evident.
            However, I see that you have now implemented this in the next version, so I
            look forward to that in due course.
            So far, I am still running v1.14.3, and will continue to do so until such
            time as TQSL v2.0 is made publicly available.

            The proposed changes - and those that have recently taken place - are much
            appreciated by this user!
            I personally think it is great that both of you have stepped up to the mark
            and taken on this rather large responsibility.

            Thanks for all your help!

            73 de Phil GU0SUP