Re: [ARRL-LOTW] VUCC ward account parameters.

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
      "Submitted?" as in made an application?

      When you create a VUCC Award account you need to define the locations
      - typically grid squares (6 character) - to use in creating the QSO
      set. If you select QSOs that fail to meet the rules, you will see
      "QSO does not match account parameters".

      If you do not define a rule set for an account and attempt to select
      confirmations for that account you will also get the "M* = QSO does not
      match <account name> Award Account parameters" message.

      As the Account/Awards screen warns, you must create a rule set for each
      VUCC account.

      On 7/21/2013 9:48 PM, ww0e@... wrote:
      > I submitted about 10, and they all have this on them?
      >

      > Jerry

    • Richard Solomon
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
        I just looked at my VUCC account in LoTW. I don't see where I define a
        "rule".

        I did see something about linking, but I don't think that's it.

        73, Dick, W1KSZ

        > "Submitted?" as in made an application?
        >
        > When you create a VUCC Award account you need to define the locations
        > - typically grid squares (6 character) - to use in creating the QSO
        > set. If you select QSOs that fail to meet the rules, you will see
        > "QSO does not match account parameters".
        >
        > If you do not define a rule set for an account and attempt to select
        > confirmations for that account you will also get the "M* = QSO does not
        > match <account name> Award Account parameters" message.
        >
        > As the Account/Awards screen warns, you must create a rule set for each
        > VUCC account.
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > ... Joe, W4TV
        >

        > On 7/21/2013 9:48 PM, ww0e@... wrote:
        >> I submitted about 10, and they all have this on them?
        >>

        >> Jerry

      • iain macdonnell - N6ML
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
          In the "Awards" tab, select the VUCC account, then click on "Modify
          Account" in the menu on the left.

          73,

          ~iain / N6ML

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
            Select account -> Modify Account -> Add QSO Set or Add Rule to QSO
            Set. Be sure to save any changes.

            On 7/22/2013 10:41 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
            > I just looked at my VUCC account in LoTW. I don't see where I define a
            > "rule".
            >
            > I did see something about linking, but I don't think that's it.
            >
            > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
            >

            > On 7/21/2013 7:14 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
            >> "Submitted?" as in made an application?
            >>
            >> When you create a VUCC Award account you need to define the locations
            >> - typically grid squares (6 character) - to use in creating the QSO
            >> set. If you select QSOs that fail to meet the rules, you will see
            >> "QSO does not match account parameters".
            >>
            >> If you do not define a rule set for an account and attempt to select
            >> confirmations for that account you will also get the "M* = QSO does not
            >> match <account name> Award Account parameters" message.
            >>
            >> As the Account/Awards screen warns, you must create a rule set for each
            >> VUCC account.
            >>

            >> 73,
            >>
            >> ... Joe, W4TV
            >>

            >> On 7/21/2013 9:48 PM, ww0e@... wrote:
            >>> I submitted about 10, and they all have this on them?
            >>>

            >>> Jerry

          • Richard Solomon
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
              Did that, nothing there about "rules" ?

              73, Dick, W1KSZ

              On 7/22/2013 7:51 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
              > In the "Awards" tab, select the VUCC account, then click on "Modify
              > Account" in the menu on the left.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ~iain / N6ML
              >

              > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Richard Solomon <w1ksz@...> wrote:
              >> I just looked at my VUCC account in LoTW. I don't see where I define a
              >> "rule".
              >>
              >> I did see something about linking, but I don't think that's it.
              >>
              >> 73, Dick, W1KSZ
              >>

              >> On 7/21/2013 7:14 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
              >>> "Submitted?" as in made an application?
              >>>
              >>> When you create a VUCC Award account you need to define the locations
              >>> - typically grid squares (6 character) - to use in creating the QSO
              >>> set. If you select QSOs that fail to meet the rules, you will see
              >>> "QSO does not match account parameters".
              >>>
              >>> If you do not define a rule set for an account and attempt to select
              >>> confirmations for that account you will also get the "M* = QSO does not
              >>> match <account name> Award Account parameters" message.
              >>>
              >>> As the Account/Awards screen warns, you must create a rule set for each
              >>> VUCC account.
              >>>

              >>> 73,
              >>>
              >>> ... Joe, W4TV

            • iain macdonnell - N6ML
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                Did you read the help panel on the right side? For me, it says:

                "Rules and QSO Sets
                VUCC accounts can be configured to automatically select those of your
                QSOs that both qualify for a VUCC award and also match a set of rules
                you specify.

                A QSO Set is a list of rules that define QSOs that will be matched.
                Your account can include more than one QSO Set if needed to encompass
                all of your QSOs that are eligible for the awards.

                The rules that make up a QSO Set each compare the value of a field
                related to the QSO. The fields that may be used for this comparison
                are the call sign you used to make the QSO, the QSO date, and several
                geographical fields. At least one rule must be included in a QSO Set
                in order to match any QSOs.

                If more than one rule is present in the QSO Set, you may choose
                whether the QSOs must match all of the specified rules or any of the
                specified rules."

                I suppose you need to add a QSO set (if you don't have any) before you
                can add a rule.....

                73,

                ~iain / N6ML

              • Richard Solomon
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Yes, I read that, BUT, what constitutes a rule, what data must be entered
                  and where is it you enter that data.

                  73, Dick, W1KSZ

                • iain macdonnell - N6ML
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Try this then .....
                    http://www.arrl.org/news/logbook-of-the-world-now-supports-vucc

                    73,

                    ~iain / N6ML

                    On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Richard Solomon <w1ksz@...> wrote:
                    > Yes, I read that, BUT, what constitutes a rule, what data must be entered
                    > and where is it you enter that data.
                    >
                    > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                    >

                    > On 7/22/2013 8:29 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
                    >> Did you read the help panel on the right side? For me, it says:
                    >>
                    >> "Rules and QSO Sets
                    >> VUCC accounts can be configured to automatically select those of your
                    >> QSOs that both qualify for a VUCC award and also match a set of rules
                    >> you specify.
                    >>
                    >> A QSO Set is a list of rules that define QSOs that will be matched.
                    >> Your account can include more than one QSO Set if needed to encompass
                    >> all of your QSOs that are eligible for the awards.
                    >>
                    >> The rules that make up a QSO Set each compare the value of a field
                    >> related to the QSO. The fields that may be used for this comparison
                    >> are the call sign you used to make the QSO, the QSO date, and several
                    >> geographical fields. At least one rule must be included in a QSO Set
                    >> in order to match any QSOs.
                    >>
                    >> If more than one rule is present in the QSO Set, you may choose
                    >> whether the QSOs must match all of the specified rules or any of the
                    >> specified rules."
                    >>

                    >> I suppose you need to add a QSO set (if you don't have any) before you
                    >> can add a rule.....
                    >>
                    >> 73,
                    >>
                    >> ~iain / N6ML
                    >>

                    >> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Richard Solomon <w1ksz@...> wrote:
                    >>> Did that, nothing there about "rules" ?
                    >>>
                    >>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

                  • Larry Banks
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Hi Dick,

                      My rule is very simple:
                      Your Call sign = W1DYJ

                      I have two QTHs, but they are within 200 KM of each other, so any QSO from
                      either location is fine for VUCC, and just my call sign is sufficient. I
                      just selected call sign from the drop-down "Rule Type" and that was all I
                      needed to do.

                      73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

                      > Yes, I read that, BUT, what constitutes a rule, what data must be entered
                      > and where is it you enter that data.
                      >
                      > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                      >

                      > On 7/22/2013 8:29 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
                      >> Did you read the help panel on the right side? For me, it says:
                      >>
                      >> "Rules and QSO Sets
                      >> VUCC accounts can be configured to automatically select those of your
                      >> QSOs that both qualify for a VUCC award and also match a set of rules
                      >> you specify.
                      >>
                      >> A QSO Set is a list of rules that define QSOs that will be matched.
                      >> Your account can include more than one QSO Set if needed to encompass
                      >> all of your QSOs that are eligible for the awards.
                      >>
                      >> The rules that make up a QSO Set each compare the value of a field
                      >> related to the QSO. The fields that may be used for this comparison
                      >> are the call sign you used to make the QSO, the QSO date, and several
                      >> geographical fields. At least one rule must be included in a QSO Set
                      >> in order to match any QSOs.
                      >>
                      >> If more than one rule is present in the QSO Set, you may choose
                      >> whether the QSOs must match all of the specified rules or any of the
                      >> specified rules."
                      >>

                      >> I suppose you need to add a QSO set (if you don't have any) before you
                      >> can add a rule.....
                      >>
                      >> 73,
                      >>
                      >> ~iain / N6ML
                      >>

                      >> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Richard Solomon <w1ksz@...>
                      >> wrote:
                      >>> Did that, nothing there about "rules" ?
                      >>>
                      >>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

                    • Richard Solomon
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                        That just parrots what is found in the "Help" file. It's a shame
                        that they let IT folks write Help Files, they speak in tongues !!

                        Let's try this route ... is the "Rule Set" where you specify your
                        Home Grid Square ?

                        73, Dick, W1KSZ

                      • Richard Solomon
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                          Thank you, I must have done that when I created the award.

                          See how simple it is when you use English instead of IT_Speak !!

                          I swear they stay up nights trying to figure out how to obfuscate the
                          Help File. ..."let's call it a rule set instead of Call-Sign, they never
                          heard of that one"...

                          73, Dick, W1KSZ

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                            At 01:09 PM 7/22/2013, Richard Solomon wrote:
                            >That just parrots what is found in the "Help" file. It's a shame
                            >that they let IT folks write Help Files, they speak in tongues !!
                            >
                            >Let's try this route ... is the "Rule Set" where you specify your
                            >Home Grid Square ?

                            No. What's a "Home Grid Square"? The grid square of your home QTH? You
                            set that when you define a location.

                            You've got to understand the VUCC rules to understand what this is about.

                            VUCC contacts for a given award must be made from locations within a
                            specific area. Quoting the rule:
                            "For VUCC awards on 50 through 1296 MHz and Satellite, all contacts
                            must be made from locations no more than 200 km
                            apart. For SHF awards, contacts must be made from a single location,
                            defined as within a 300-meter diameter circle."

                            So you have to tell LoTW how to tell what QSOs apply to a given award.
                            If you've only ever operated VHF/UHF from a single location, then the
                            rule can be as simple as "My Callsign = W1KSZ".

                            If you've operated from a bunch of different locations, then you'll
                            need to figure out a way to tell LoTW what QSOs count for a given VUCC
                            account. You could use a range of dates, for example.

                            But first you've got to answer the question: are all of your QSOs
                            within that 200 Km distance? If so, it's easy. If not, you've got to
                            split up your QSOs somehow into buckets that count for each set of
                            operating locations. But you must do that anyway if you care about VUCC
                            awards.

                            Even if you don't care about chasing VUCC, please enter your grid
                            square in your location definitions to help those who do chase grids.
                          • Richard Solomon
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                              First, I understand the rules of VUCC, mostly. What I cannot fathom
                              is why folks find it necessary to create new terms when the ones in
                              common use will suffice.

                              73, Dick, W1KSZ

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                                > I don't see anything that says ..."Add QSO Set"... ??

                                If I have to spell is out it's:
                                "Add a QSO Set to this VUCC account"
                                or
                                "Add rule to QSO Set"

                              • ww0e@...
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                                  When I check my account credits I get Entity - VUCC 50 MHz.
                                  But the 6 meter log - QSO Query - shows the dozen or so that I submitted already, without the "M" this time.
                                  Am I on the right track?

                                  Jerry WWØE

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                                    If it shows them without the M! yo are on the right track.

                                  • Daniel Pond
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                                      Thanks Joe for pointing out the QSO set and rules stuff. It has not yet worked for me. I have one rule in my VUCC QSO set and that is my callsign. If I modify the rules in that QSO set, such as adding my Grid Square designator, my VUCC records goes to only one QSO. If more 50 MHz subsequent QSO credits come into the My QSOs list in LoTW then only those are added as they come in. The 200 or so credits that appear if I sort on 6m QSOs do not appear and have never appeared in my VUCC account.