Re: [ARRL-LOTW] TQSL 1.14.3

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 13, 2013
      On 7/13/2013 9:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

      The current public release of TQSL is 1.14.1.

      After 1.14.1 was released, two additional defects were identified:

      - TQSL can't access certificates or station locations or its duplicate database if they are stored in a folder whose pathname
      contains Unicode characters

      - when invoked via command line when a new version of TQSL is generally available, TQSL informs the user that the new version is
      available, but does not sign and upload QSOs as directed

      Both of these defects were corrected in TQSL 1.14.2. The ARRL Help Desk has been suggesting to users who encounter the "pathname
      contains Unicode characters" defect that they upgrade to 1.14.2.

      Before we completed the testing necessary to make 1.14.2 generally available, the Help Desk began reporting new problems involving
      the uploading of digitally signed logs to LotW over the internet from PCs running Windows. Some of these problems were the result of
      Windows being severely out-of-date because Windows Update had been disabled. One of these problems was the result of a defect in a
      component employed by TQSL. This defect has been corrected in TQSL 1.14.3, which has been available to a small group of testers
      since July 1; the group has reported no new defects.

      If you would like to help test TQSL 1.14.3, it's available via

      <http://www.arrl.org/trustedqsl-beta-release>

      If you encounter any problematic behavior, please describe it in a post here.

      Thanks!

      Just installed upgrade 1.14.3  Everything from my log uploaded perfectly using TQSL.  No problems so far.  More details later.  Thanks for your help Dave.

      Mark  W1MAD

    • w8jmf
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi,

        I installed new release on XP Home system. I found after install a shortcut I had in the taskbar for tqslcert was broken. It had target grayed out and I seemed unable to fix it. Created new shortcut after deleting old one and all was well. Always installed in same default path and Tqsl shortcut kept working. I assume it was this install unless something happened on past one that I didn't catch? Not a biggie. Haven't tested a great deal yet but everything else appears ok so far. I uncheck create shortcut during install if it matters.

        73 de KT8D

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
            At 11:06 AM 7/14/2013, w8jmf wrote:

            >Hi,
            >
            >I installed new release on XP Home system. I found after install a
            >shortcut I had in the taskbar for tqslcert was broken. It had target
            >grayed out and I seemed unable to fix it. Created new shortcut after
            >deleting old one and all was well. Always installed in same default
            >path and Tqsl shortcut kept working. I assume it was this install
            >unless something happened on past one that I didn't catch? Not a
            >biggie. Haven't tested a great deal yet but everything else appears ok
            >so far. I uncheck create shortcut during install if it matters.

            I don't think there's anything that the TQSL installer can do in this
            case. Windows apparently saw the new tqslcert.exe and decided for some
            reason to invalidate the shortcut. Since you didn't tell the installer
            to re-create the shortcuts, then you'll see this once in a while.
            Actually, there's a good chance that if you logged out and logged back
            in that Windows would have restored the shortcut.

          • w8jmf
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
              Targets were the same. Not a huge deal. I didn't trying logging out/in, but I'll eventually try this on some other machines and see what happens. If I see it again I'll see if the problem fixes itself with a restart. FB on the other stuff also, the release activity and time passing just had me wondering. 73, John

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 15, 2013
                Hi all,

                I am happy to report that the upgrade to TQSL 1.14.3 went without a hitch, and was much easier than I expected!

                DXKeeper correctly reports using TQSL 1.14.3 as well, and I have uploaded QSO's with it successfully.

                The system here is Win7 Pro 32bit, and TQSL was installed into C:\TrustedQSL where it was before.
                It appeared to know where TQSL was located, and updated it without any issues, and cleared the older version without a problem.

                My only query is - Do I need to now save a new P12?
                I wonder whether the previous P12 somehow has info related to version 1.13 which I was using before?

                73 de Phil GU0SUP
              • iain macdonnell - N6ML
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Hi Phil,

                  There's no need to make a new certificate backup after upgrading TQSL,
                  although it wouldn't do any harm. Having too many backups is rarely a
                  problem :)

                  The PKCS#12 file contains only your certificate and private key. Those
                  cannot change. They can be replaced, but the new certificate would
                  have to be issued by the ARRL, and usually would be sent to you via
                  email. Any time you install a new cert issued by the ARRL, you should
                  make a (PKCS#12) backup immediately after installing it.

                  73,

                  ~iain / N6ML

                  On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM, gu0sup <pcooper@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I am happy to report that the upgrade to TQSL 1.14.3 went without a hitch,
                  > and was much easier than I expected!
                  >
                  > DXKeeper correctly reports using TQSL 1.14.3 as well, and I have uploaded
                  > QSO's with it successfully.
                  >
                  > The system here is Win7 Pro 32bit, and TQSL was installed into
                  > C:\TrustedQSL where it was before.
                  > It appeared to know where TQSL was located, and updated it without any
                  > issues, and cleared the older version without a problem.
                  >
                  > My only query is - Do I need to now save a new P12?
                  > I wonder whether the previous P12 somehow has info related to version 1.13
                  > which I was using before?
                  >
                  > 73 de Phil GU0SUP

                • Phil Cooper
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 15, 2013
                    Hello Iain,

                    Many thanks for that. I just wondered whether it may have some effect,
                    simply because the new TQSL software is slightly different, and does more
                    than the older version.
                    I will make a new copy anyway, just for the run of it!

                    73 de Phil GU0SUP

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16, 2013
                      Installed over 1.14.1. Location is C;\program files(x86)\TrustedQSL.

                      Just uploaded 1345 qso of last weekend.
                      Sync ok.
                      Sync over 300 qsls. OK.

                      No problems.