Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: VUCC - ww locator required

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6 12:08 PM
      On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM, EricJ <eric_csuf@...> wrote:

      If you hold off long enough, someone will ask the "dumb question" and all the rest of us sigh with relief. I've only been a ham for 56 years so I have an excuse, but I've never heard the term WW locator before this thread.

      Seems to be a non-North American thing.  I see "grid loc" a lot (w/ or w/o the space), too.

      After reading more of the history of the Maidenhead grid system, as posted earlier, I see why - there used to be a "European locator".  Then, post-Maidenhead, a "WW locator".  My guess is people used the latter name to differentiate the "new" system from the old.  This may be a surprise to you, but old habits die hard in amateur radio ... :-)

      Anyway, the bottom line is that all LOTW users should make sure that their station location in TQSL is complete and correct, including WW locator!

    • Bill Aycock
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6 1:19 PM
        If you go back to the original post in this thread, I think you will find that English was not the first language of the guy who asked.
        Now, What language has significant meaning for “WW”?
        Bill—W4BSG

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6 1:33 PM
          http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxzone.com%2Fdx19788%2Fww-locator-with-google-maps.html&ei=bX7YUeuME-LMiQLx1oGACQ&usg=AFQjCNFFZSDK5jzqriTWiiXjIdboE9LqMA

          Bill Aycock <billaycock@...> wrote:

          If you go back to the original post in this thread, I think you will find that English was not the first language of the guy who asked.
          Now, What language has significant meaning for “WW”?
          Bill—W4BSG

          If you hold off long enough, someone will ask the "dumb question" and all the rest of us sigh with relief. I've only been a ham for 56 years so I have an excuse, but I've never heard the term WW locator before this thread.

          Eric
          KE6US

          --
          Sent from my Android phone.
        • Doug Garman
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7 9:13 AM
            That was ONE of the questions I was asking... The only answer I could make work was ---- tada --- Win Warbler Locator. Nothing else seemed to make sense in context.

          • Alessandro Graziani
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 8 10:32 AM
              Yes Peter, same thing of course. Thanks explaining.

              Sorry for delay, but am reading DIGEST here, on the mailinglist.

              Here in Italy the word "world wide locator" sounds familiar.

              BTW, so sorry if I used a word ( ww locator ) maybe not so clear all around.

              example: This ham-radio page , but written in italian, explains a bit too what is the world wide locator:

              73, ... to the next.

              Alessandro, IZ5MOQ

              10:56 AM, Tom <k0tw@...> wrote:

              > > At the risk of
              asking a "dumb" question... What is a WW locator? I'm
              > > familiar with
              grid squares,

              > Same thing.  Gridloc, WW locator, Maidenhead
              gridsquare.

              > --
              > Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net |
              Travel by Train!

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8 11:11 AM
                On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Alessandro Graziani
                <mailmanager@...> wrote:

                > Yes Peter, same thing of course. Thanks explaining.
                >
                > Sorry for delay, but am reading DIGEST here, on the mailinglist.
                >
                > Here in Italy the word "world wide locator" sounds familiar.

                No worries, man! As long as you include it in your TQSL station
                location, I don't care what you call it! :-)

              • Alessandro Graziani
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 13 7:02 AM
                  > No worries, man! As long as you include it in your TQSL station location, I don't care what you call it! :-)
                  > Peter
                  Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

                  --

                  Hi Peter,

                  yesterday I advised some italian friends on it. I have sent them some parts of our chat (N5UWY, N6ML, IZ5MOQ) and... some VUCC gifts are coming for us on LOTW; from some african grid quare too.

                  So, stay tune :) on your VUCC account.

                  73

                  Alessandro, IZ5MOQ