Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: VUCC - ww locator required

  • EricJ
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6, 2013
      If you hold off long enough, someone will ask the "dumb question" and all the rest of us sigh with relief. I've only been a ham for 56 years so I have an excuse, but I've never heard the term WW locator before this thread.

      Eric
      KE6US

      On 7/6/2013 8:56 AM, Tom wrote:

      At the risk of asking a "dumb" question... What is a WW locator? I'm
      familiar with grid squares, ITU and CQ zones, etc but I don't recall
      ever hearing of a WW locator.

      Thanks

      Tom - K0TW

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

      > Hi Doug,
      >
      > Your grid square is part of the "Station Location" that you use when
      > signing a log for upload.
      >
      > Run the "TQSL" program. From the "Station" menu, select "Edit
      > Locations". Select the station location you want to update, and click
      > on "Edit...". The first step of the wizard includes a "Grid Square"
      > field, which you need to update. Click "Next>" to work through the
      > remaining steps.
      >
      > Any logs signed using that station location in the future will include
      > the grid square that you specified.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > ~iain / N6ML
      >

      > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Doug Garman k7evi@... wrote:
      > >

      > > AH, excuse ME!
      > >
      > > I am one who finds the ARRL instructions way too confusing.
      > >
      > > SO, after searching for over 30 minutes, I am asking a newby ham
      (only 50
      > > plus years since novice) where to set the "WW locator in (my)
      Location
      > > profile".
      > >
      > > I really do not care for my benefit, because the COST of the award
      is way
      > > above my budget, but some people might want my grid square. SO
      please ---
      > > where is this information hidden? In giving this information, please
      start
      > > with the browser address bar if it is on the internet.... I use
      Firefox. The
      > > go through each step. If, as many have, you chose to ridicule this
      O' Timer

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6, 2013
        On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM, EricJ <eric_csuf@...> wrote:

        If you hold off long enough, someone will ask the "dumb question" and all the rest of us sigh with relief. I've only been a ham for 56 years so I have an excuse, but I've never heard the term WW locator before this thread.

        Seems to be a non-North American thing.  I see "grid loc" a lot (w/ or w/o the space), too.

        After reading more of the history of the Maidenhead grid system, as posted earlier, I see why - there used to be a "European locator".  Then, post-Maidenhead, a "WW locator".  My guess is people used the latter name to differentiate the "new" system from the old.  This may be a surprise to you, but old habits die hard in amateur radio ... :-)

        Anyway, the bottom line is that all LOTW users should make sure that their station location in TQSL is complete and correct, including WW locator!

      • Bill Aycock
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6, 2013
          If you go back to the original post in this thread, I think you will find that English was not the first language of the guy who asked.
          Now, What language has significant meaning for “WW”?
          Bill—W4BSG

          --- In mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

          > Hi Doug,
          >
          > Your grid square is part of the "Station Location" that you use when
          > signing a log for upload.
          >
          > Run the "TQSL" program. From the "Station" menu, select "Edit
          > Locations". Select the station location you want to update, and click
          > on "Edit...". The first step of the wizard includes a "Grid Square"
          > field, which you need to update. Click "Next>" to work through the
          > remaining steps.
          >
          > Any logs signed using that station location in the future will include
          > the grid square that you specified.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > ~iain / N6ML
          >

          > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Doug Garman k7evi@... wrote:
          > >

          > > AH, excuse ME!
          > >
          > > I am one who finds the ARRL instructions way too confusing.
          > >
          > > SO, after searching for over 30 minutes, I am asking a newby ham
          (only 50
          > > plus years since novice) where to set the "WW locator in (my)
          Location
          > > profile".
          > >
          > > I really do not care for my benefit, because the COST of the award
          is way
          > > above my budget, but some people might want my grid square. SO
          please ---
          > > where is this information hidden? In giving this information, please
          start
          > > with the browser address bar if it is on the internet.... I use
          Firefox. The
          > > go through each step. If, as many have, you chose to ridicule this
          O' Timer
          > > I will not bother. I have 144 Mhz. 220 Mhz and 440 Mhz eq. and am
          starting
          > > to rebuild 50 Mhz eq.
          > >
          > > I did set up a VUCC account named CN95qu - and a rule for that grid
          square
          > > as my location. If that is it, please say so. AND in your request to
          other
          > > (politically abused) retired hams, please use clear descriptions in
          your
          > > requests.
          > > TNX Doug

        • Gerry VE6LB
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2013
            http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxzone.com%2Fdx19788%2Fww-locator-with-google-maps.html&ei=bX7YUeuME-LMiQLx1oGACQ&usg=AFQjCNFFZSDK5jzqriTWiiXjIdboE9LqMA

            --
            Sent from my Android phone.
          • Doug Garman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2013
              That was ONE of the questions I was asking... The only answer I could make work was ---- tada --- Win Warbler Locator. Nothing else seemed to make sense in context.

            • Alessandro Graziani
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                Yes Peter, same thing of course. Thanks explaining.

                Sorry for delay, but am reading DIGEST here, on the mailinglist.

                Here in Italy the word "world wide locator" sounds familiar.

                BTW, so sorry if I used a word ( ww locator ) maybe not so clear all around.

                example: This ham-radio page , but written in italian, explains a bit too what is the world wide locator:

                73, ... to the next.

                Alessandro, IZ5MOQ

                10:56 AM, Tom <k0tw@...> wrote:

                > > At the risk of
                asking a "dumb" question... What is a WW locator? I'm
                > > familiar with
                grid squares,

                > Same thing.  Gridloc, WW locator, Maidenhead
                gridsquare.

                > --
                > Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net |
                Travel by Train!

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                  On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Alessandro Graziani
                  <mailmanager@...> wrote:

                  > Yes Peter, same thing of course. Thanks explaining.
                  >
                  > Sorry for delay, but am reading DIGEST here, on the mailinglist.
                  >
                  > Here in Italy the word "world wide locator" sounds familiar.

                  No worries, man! As long as you include it in your TQSL station
                  location, I don't care what you call it! :-)

                • Alessandro Graziani
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 13, 2013
                    > No worries, man! As long as you include it in your TQSL station location, I don't care what you call it! :-)
                    > Peter
                    Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

                    --

                    Hi Peter,

                    yesterday I advised some italian friends on it. I have sent them some parts of our chat (N5UWY, N6ML, IZ5MOQ) and... some VUCC gifts are coming for us on LOTW; from some african grid quare too.

                    So, stay tune :) on your VUCC account.

                    73

                    Alessandro, IZ5MOQ