RE: {Disarmed} RE: [ARRL-LOTW] CT4GO - LOTW

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3 9:59 PM
      Here's an example of why LotW is considered complex and difficult to use: moving to a new computer. The ARRL Help Desk reports that this is one of the most difficult usage scenarios for LotW users.

      To move LotW to a new computer, you must

      1. Install TQSL and TQSLCert on the destination computer

      2. Copy each of your Callsign Certificates from the source to the destination

      3. Copy each of your Station Locations from the source to the destination

      However, you can't simply copy Callsign Certificates (.tq6 files) from one computer to another; such copies would be non-functional. You must insert each Callsign Certificate into a Certificate Container file (.p12), copy each of those to the destination, and then extract Callsign Certificate files from the copied Certificate Container files.

      You can copy the file containing your Station Locations from one computer to another, but locating and placing this file can be non-trivial.

      Yes, we do now provide step-by-step instructions for this procedure:

      <http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm>

      They may be clear, but they are hardly inviting.

      Thanks to some excellent work by Rick K1MU, we expect the next major release of TQSL to provide a new "Backup Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command that places all of this information in a single portable .tbk file that you can simply copy to the destination PC. Install TQSL on the destination PC, direct it to execute the new "Restore Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command, and you'll be in business.

      You'll also be able to protect your Callsign Certificates and Station Locations against hardware or software failures by copying the file created by the "Backup Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command to an external drive, to a thumb drive, to another computer on your network, or to a free cloud storage service like DropBox, Google Drive, or Sky Drive. In fact you'll have the option of configuring TQSL to automatically create and save a backup file when it terminates.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4 3:41 AM
        Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !

        There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!

        73
        Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

        believed to be clean.
      • roley_g3vir
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4 3:52 AM
          Well I must one of the very dumb people. I have tried and tried but I have never managed to get LOTW to work.
          I have joined eQSL and that seemed pretty easy, the point by point instructions were easy to follow.
          Maybe one day they will make it easy for everyone to be able to use it.
          I have wait a very long time so I suppose another year or so won't matter.
          Roley G3VIR

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hinson" <Gary@...> wrote:

          > Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !
          >
          > There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!
          >
          > 73
          > Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

        • Goldtr8 (KD8NNU)
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4 4:11 AM
            Thanks for the update about k1mu Rick working on a solution for this.

            ~73
            Don
            KD8NNU
            -.- -.. ---.. -. -. ..-

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4 10:28 AM

              Thanks, Gary. I have corrected that error in the next version.

              The Help Display engine included with TQSL is rather primitive, so lists must be manually constructed with tables in HTML…

              There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!

              73
              Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

            • k3nxh
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30 3:47 PM
                Question for Eric. Have you set up LOTW on ANOTHER computer?
                If so maybe you can explain in Layman's terms how to do it.
                AA6YQ - Please don't respond to my question.

                Thanks

                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "roley_g3vir" <roland@...> wrote:

                > Well I must one of the very dumb people. I have tried and tried but I have never managed to get LOTW to work.
                > I have joined eQSL and that seemed pretty easy, the point by point instructions were easy to follow.
                > Maybe one day they will make it easy for everyone to be able to use it.
                > I have wait a very long time so I suppose another year or so won't matter.
                > Roley G3VIR
                >

                > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hinson" <Gary@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !
                > >
                > > There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

              • k3nxh
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30 3:48 PM