CT4GO - LOTW

  • Alessandro Graziani
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013

      CT4GO wrote:

      LOTW users: PLEASE upload your logs ( weekly/monthly is fine ) ! It costs nothing, just a few mouse clicks, THANK YOU!

      --

      I agree in full with CT4GO.

      Inactive LOTW users, IMHO, are comparable to the OM that do not answer to the paper-QSL.

      Many of us expect the paper-QSLs for DXCC applications...

      ... Many others expect the LOTW QSL only to do the same DXCC thing.

      Frankly, I do not understand the inactive users on LOTW.

      Sone people do not respond to LOTW-QSL... since a years.

      Better ask for the account deleting, no? ;) ... so ( through a note on find a call section ) we will understand that the LOTW-QSL from some users will never come.

      --

      CT4GO wrote:

      LOTW users: PLEASE upload your logs ( weekly/monthly is fine ) ! It costs nothing, just a few mouse clicks, THANK YOU!

      --

      Alessandro, IZ5MOQ

    • Gary Hinson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013

        Occasionally we hear from hams who “gave it a go” and uploaded to LoTW once or twice, but the effort was all too much for them and they haven’t done it since.

        I guess they may try again at some point, but at present the process is quite complicated and not exactly user-friendly, for those users at least, plus presumably others who haven’t even had the urge to try it once yet.

        I gather there are plans to make the process simpler and easier: when this has been achieved, it would be a good opportunity to publicise the improvements in order to snag new LoTW users and persuade some of those who have lapsed to try again.

        Adding more awards to LoTW, whether within LoTW or externally (i.e. an API so other contest and award admins can verify claimed QSOs), would also encourage greater use.

        Yet another idea would be to improve the reporting functions, for instance providing league tables and various statistical reports so users can track their progress over time.  [Club Log shows what can be done for DXers over the long term, while Athena does a great job in real time for contesters.  There is plenty of potential here.]

        But first of all, in my opinion, there needs to be a simple, basic, easy-to-use entry point.  The rest can follow.

        73

        Gary  ZL2iFB

        CT4GO wrote:

        LOTW users: PLEASE upload your logs ( weekly/monthly is fine ) ! It costs nothing, just a few mouse clicks, THANK YOU!

        --

        Alessandro, IZ5MOQ

        believed to be clean.
      • VE6LB
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013

          The instructions for LoTW are quite easy, even for a non-computer type. If you can operative todays radios, you can set-up and use LoTW. Over 58,000 folks have figured it out. The ARRL tutorial is very good: http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world and the set- up instructions from Dave AA6YQ are simple and clear http://dxlab.ky1v.com/DXKeeper/DXKeeper.pdf page 85. Once your set up, the tool provided by N2AMG http://www.n2amg.com/software/lotw_eqsl_utility/ makes uploading simple as well. Once you input your password and user info once, just point to an ADIF file and click upload.

          73,
          Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
          DXCC, VUCC, WAS Card Checker-Southern Alberta
          VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
          (403) 251-0384

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013
            It's hard to identify the reasons for a reluctance to use LOTW, but it is definitely there. I see it in return rates. In the short run, the rate of return for my eQSL QSLs is about 90%. For LOTW about 50%. Most eQSL matches occur within a few days or a week with only a few dribbling in a week later. LOTW cards can still be coming in months after. Some a year or two later! For something that can be done in seconds.

            I think the complexity is part of the problem. It is a lot of trouble, or it SEEMS like a lot of trouble. All of us have set up far more complex software. The first time it seems really ridiculous to have nearly NSA level security just for QSL cards. I can set up a online banking and send money all over the world with less effort.

            But all in all, I wouldn't go back to paper QSLs for anything. There's a reason why actively use eQSL and LOTW without any real complaint.

            Eric
            KE6US

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013
              I'm an old timer who grew up on paper cards and they are still my preferred QSL mode.  LoTW is a minor PITA, but some DX band-mode-clicks are only going to come from there, so I put up with it, but paper is still the only "real" QSL mode.
              If a station has no interest in DX awards or WAS then LoTW has no particular value to them and no reason to play there.  There is no incentive at all for me to dink around with eQSL, so I don't.

              ​Club-Log isn't a QSL service, but it has a ton of useful functionality that we might have expected from LoTW.  In my view it is the only electronic "repository" which "does some useful work" for me.
              ​Meanwhile, excuse me.  I need to answer the last batch of cards that came in the mail.

              73, de Hans, K0HB

              ​

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013

                Thanks, Gerry.

                The documentation included with LotW 1.14 was derived from the step-by-step instructions I originally developed for DXLab users. This documentation is also available via

                <http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/>

                so users who haven’t yet installed TQSL can review it, and those offering assistance can easily cite it.

                DXLab users should continue to refer to

                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW>

                as it describes how to employ DXKeeper’s automation for uploading QSOs to LotW and synchronizing with LotW.

                The “LotW Procedures” documentation described below is directly available via

                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LotW.htm>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013
                    Here's an example of why LotW is considered complex and difficult to use: moving to a new computer. The ARRL Help Desk reports that this is one of the most difficult usage scenarios for LotW users.

                    To move LotW to a new computer, you must

                    1. Install TQSL and TQSLCert on the destination computer

                    2. Copy each of your Callsign Certificates from the source to the destination

                    3. Copy each of your Station Locations from the source to the destination

                    However, you can't simply copy Callsign Certificates (.tq6 files) from one computer to another; such copies would be non-functional. You must insert each Callsign Certificate into a Certificate Container file (.p12), copy each of those to the destination, and then extract Callsign Certificate files from the copied Certificate Container files.

                    You can copy the file containing your Station Locations from one computer to another, but locating and placing this file can be non-trivial.

                    Yes, we do now provide step-by-step instructions for this procedure:

                    <http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm>

                    They may be clear, but they are hardly inviting.

                    Thanks to some excellent work by Rick K1MU, we expect the next major release of TQSL to provide a new "Backup Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command that places all of this information in a single portable .tbk file that you can simply copy to the destination PC. Install TQSL on the destination PC, direct it to execute the new "Restore Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command, and you'll be in business.

                    You'll also be able to protect your Callsign Certificates and Station Locations against hardware or software failures by copying the file created by the "Backup Station Locations, Certificates, and Preferences" command to an external drive, to a thumb drive, to another computer on your network, or to a free cloud storage service like DropBox, Google Drive, or Sky Drive. In fact you'll have the option of configuring TQSL to automatically create and save a backup file when it terminates.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !

                      There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!

                      73
                      Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

                    • roley_g3vir
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                        Well I must one of the very dumb people. I have tried and tried but I have never managed to get LOTW to work.
                        I have joined eQSL and that seemed pretty easy, the point by point instructions were easy to follow.
                        Maybe one day they will make it easy for everyone to be able to use it.
                        I have wait a very long time so I suppose another year or so won't matter.
                        Roley G3VIR

                        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hinson" <Gary@...> wrote:

                        > Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !
                        >
                        > There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!
                        >
                        > 73
                        > Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

                      • Goldtr8 (KD8NNU)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Thanks for the update about k1mu Rick working on a solution for this.

                          ~73
                          Don
                          KD8NNU
                          -.- -.. ---.. -. -. ..-

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013

                            Thanks, Gary. I have corrected that error in the next version.

                            The Help Display engine included with TQSL is rather primitive, so lists must be manually constructed with tables in HTML…

                            There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!

                            73
                            Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

                          • k3nxh
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 30, 2013
                              Question for Eric. Have you set up LOTW on ANOTHER computer?
                              If so maybe you can explain in Layman's terms how to do it.
                              AA6YQ - Please don't respond to my question.

                              Thanks

                              --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "roley_g3vir" <roland@...> wrote:

                              > Well I must one of the very dumb people. I have tried and tried but I have never managed to get LOTW to work.
                              > I have joined eQSL and that seemed pretty easy, the point by point instructions were easy to follow.
                              > Maybe one day they will make it easy for everyone to be able to use it.
                              > I have wait a very long time so I suppose another year or so won't matter.
                              > Roley G3VIR
                              >

                              > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hinson" <Gary@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Errr, "they may be clear" is a trifle optimistic, Dave. There seem to be 3 items labeled 3b at http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/moving.htm !
                              > >
                              > > There's a hyperlinked reference in item 1 on the moving page to "the instructions in 3.f" which links to a different web page - so perhaps it was intentional not to have a 3f on the moving page!
                              > >
                              > > 73
                              > > Gary ZL2iFB (the nit-picker)

                            • k3nxh
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30, 2013