Second Chances

  • Jerry Keller - K3BZ
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2005
      Below is a copy of a post I made tonight on the dx-list reflector, responding to several negative
      posts I saw about LOTW. Since most of the "badmouthing" I mentioned was done here on the LOTW
      refector, I thought it only fair to post a copy here. The guys that were patient and helped me
      out--- they know who they are... and I appreciate it. LOTW is working fine for me now, and I have a
      second chance at its benefits, thanks to you.

      *********************************

      I badmouthed LOTW all over town, on the reflectors, and wrote complaint letters to ARRL.
      Fortunately, a few patient guys finally convinced me to re-examine LOTW, give it another chance,
      they stuck with me and helped me along, and I am very grateful that they did. Now that I know how to
      work it, I think LOTW is a very good idea AND not all that difficult to operate. You do have to read
      the instructions and follow them carefully, step by step. But if you do, it works very well.

      My objections to LOTW were based on incorrect assumptions about the complexity, security, and
      difficulty of operation, and I'm now convinced that anyone that can understand the menus and other
      operating complexities of today's radios should... with a little patience... be able to learn to
      operate LOTW.

      LOTW deserves another look by everyone. This is a very good system and only looks complex because of
      the need to maintain some semblance of integrity. I too compared it to a bank account, and asked
      why all the big deal security. I think I was probably just being stubborn and blockheaded. I now
      understand that banks don't upload data, or at least they don't do it in the same way, so they don't
      open themselves up to hacking like the LOTW system does. It makes the security problems different.

      While I once urged everyone to boycott LOTW, I would now encourage everyone to try it again, with an
      open mind and a little more patience. It worked for me.

      73, Jerry K3BZ
    • C.M. Christensen
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005
        You are a big man Jerry Keller.

        73,
        Chris, ACØM

        Jerry Keller - K3BZ wrote:
        > Below is a copy of a post I made tonight on the dx-list reflector,
        > responding to several negative
        > posts I saw about LOTW. Since most of the "badmouthing" I mentioned was
        > done here on the LOTW
        > refector, I thought it only fair to post a copy here. The guys that were
        > patient and helped me
        > out--- they know who they are... and I appreciate it. LOTW is working
        > fine for me now, and I have a
        > second chance at its benefits, thanks to you.
        >
        > *********************************
        >
        > I badmouthed LOTW all over town, on the reflectors, and wrote complaint
        > letters to ARRL.
        > Fortunately, a few patient guys finally convinced me to re-examine LOTW,
        > give it another chance,
        > they stuck with me and helped me along, and I am very grateful that they
        > did. Now that I know how to
        > work it, I think LOTW is a very good idea AND not all that difficult to
        > operate. You do have to read
        > the instructions and follow them carefully, step by step. But if you do,
        > it works very well.
        >
        > My objections to LOTW were based on incorrect assumptions about the
        > complexity, security, and
        > difficulty of operation, and I'm now convinced that anyone that can
        > understand the menus and other
        > operating complexities of today's radios should... with a little
        > patience... be able to learn to
        > operate LOTW.
        >
        > LOTW deserves another look by everyone. This is a very good system and
        > only looks complex because of
        > the need to maintain some semblance of integrity. I too compared it to
        > a bank account, and asked
        > why all the big deal security. I think I was probably just being
        > stubborn and blockheaded. I now
        > understand that banks don't upload data, or at least they don't do it in
        > the same way, so they don't
        > open themselves up to hacking like the LOTW system does. It makes the
        > security problems different.
        >
        > While I once urged everyone to boycott LOTW, I would now encourage
        > everyone to try it again, with an
        > open mind and a little more patience. It worked for me.
        >
        > 73, Jerry K3BZ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1298rl6mf/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1110507335/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

      • rlb
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005
          Hi Jerry,

          Glad that LOTW is now working for you. Just read a
          quote by Georg Christoph Lichtenberg that said:
          "It often takes more courage to change one's opinion
          than to stick to it."

          "73"
          Randy
          AG8A