Re: Ubuntu 12.04 TQSL v1.14-RC6 src Built & Running

  • ki7mt
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2013
      Hi Robert,

      Thanks for reminder build-dep. I used that initially on 1.13 to try and get a handle on what exactly was needed, but with 1.14 and all rumored changes, thought I'd go the long way round to make sure I knew what was what on the build.

      Have a few typo's I thought were fixed, Whoops :-), but they didn't make it in for some reason. On the next round will look at the build-dep again to simplify things.

      If anyone's following along, need to fix the Berkeley db5 search, just replace with:

      ------------------------------
      # Find Berkeley 5 DB + Headers
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-cache search Berkeley | grep db5.

      # Then look for the DB 5.x packages, those are what we need to install
      sudo apt-get install libdb5.1 libdb5.1-dev

      You don't need the debug (dbg) package
      ------------------------------

      Next RC release or final whichever comes first, will use build-dep on a new Desktop build and see what the Diff's are.

      73's Greg, KI7MT
    • Doug Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
        ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt
        >
        > Here are my notes from the build:
        > # Base System: New Install Ubuntu 12.04.2 Desktop with all updates# My

        Excellent, this pretty much works even on old 8.04.
        (note: my post about not being able to build 1.13 on Ubuntu 8.04 was pretty much a typo, I meant I'd been unable to build 1.14 but forgot what the
        version number was on the new project. Which is pretty dumb given that the string "1.14" appears in the subject line of pretty much every post on
        this list in the last week or so:) )

        A couple of notes:

        - On my system, installing "libwxgtk2.8-dev" installed version 2.8.7. This causes "make" to fail.

        Following the instructions on http://wiki.wxpython.org/InstallingOnUbuntuOrDebian promises to install 2.8.12. Actually, it installs 2.8.10, but
        that's close enough. It is not necessary to perform step 4.

        (scrolling down the page, it seems 2.8.10 is the newest version that's supported with Ubuntu 8.04 -- if you have a reasonable version of Ubuntu this
        process will install 2.8.12. But again, 2.8.10 is close enough.)

        - sudo apt-get install libdb5.1.dbg libdb5.1-dev fails. It should be "sudo apt-get install libdb5.1-dbg libdb5.1-dev".

        For reasons I have not been able to explain, even this failed the first time I tried it. (it insisted both packages don't exist) I must have typod
        something else but kept checking it...

        - "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/...." and "tar -xvzf ./tqsl-114.tar.gz" failed because for some reason I can't write to /usr/local/src as a
        regular user. Running "sudo" on both of these allows it to work.

        - For some reason "sudo checkinstall -D" is taking FOREVER. (it's been running for about ten minutes with no further output past
        "========================= Installation results ===========================" -- and it's got cmake using about 85% of CPU (on a 1GHz system).

        I do however have working 1.14 versions of "tqsl" and "tqslcert" in "/usr/local/src/tqsl-114/apps". I just copied them to /usr/bin & all is well.

        --

        Doug Smith W9WI
        Pleasant View, TN EM66
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
          Doug,
          I don't normally use Ubuntu (or Linux much, for that matter) but my
          curiosity has been piqued: Why ae you sticking with Ubuntu 8.04 instead
          of using a more up-to-date version (e.g., 12.04 which has been out for a
          year and should have had any problems discovered by now)? I see that
          others are using 12.04.

          Just curious.

          73
          Pete K5GM

          Pete Jordahl, K5GM
          k5gm@...
        • ki7mt
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
            Hi Doug,

            Thanks for giving this a whirl.

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Doug Smith wrote:
            ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com wrote:
             Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt

            Here are my notes from the build:
            # Base System: New Install Ubuntu 12.04.2 Desktop with all updates# My

            Excellent, this pretty much works even on old 8.04.
            (note: my post about not being able to build 1.13 on Ubuntu 8.04 was pretty much a typo, I meant I'd been unable to build 1.14 but forgot what the > version number was on the new project. Which is pretty dumb given that the string "1.14" appears in the subject line of pretty much every post on > this list in the last week or so:) )

            >>> KI7MT - I've not ran 8.04 for years now, and upgraded (full install) from 10.04 shortly after official release, so I really have no way of testing regression issues back to 8.04

            A couple of notes:
            - On my system, installing "libwxgtk2.8-dev" installed version 2.8.7. This causes "make" to fail.

            >>> The whole 2.8x group of releases have critical build bugs, especially when building from source. I tried several versions, and they all failed at one point or another. There's lots of documents problems with no so good solutions.

            Following the instructions on http://wiki.wxpython.org/InstallingOnUbuntuOrDebian promises to install 2.8.12. Actually, it installs 2.8.10, but  > that's close enough. It is not necessary to perform step 4.  (scrolling down the page, it seems 2.8.10 is the newest version that's supported with Ubuntu 8.04 -- if you have a reasonable version of Ubuntu this
            process will install 2.8.12. But again, 2.8.10 is close enough.)

            >>> KI7MT - rr if 2.1.10 build without crashing, good enough.

            - sudo apt-get install libdb5.1.dbg libdb5.1-dev fails. It should be "sudo apt-get install libdb5.1-dbg libdb5.1-dev".

            >>> KI7MT - I actually revised this in later post, the dbg is a dbug package, as it's not needed, should be and the grep was wrong:

            # Find Berkeley 5 DB + Headers
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-cache search Berkeley | grep db5.

            # Then look for the DB 5.x packages, those are what we need to install
            sudo apt-get install libdb5.1 libdb5.1-dev

            For reasons I have not been able to explain, even this failed the first time I tried it. (it insisted both packages don't exist) I must have typod something else but kept checking it...

            - "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/...." and "tar -xvzf ./tqsl-114.tar.gz" failed because for some reason I can't write to /usr/local/src as a regular user. Running "sudo" on both of these allows it to work.

            >>> KI7MT - I should have added this in the example. When you setup your /usr/local/src  need to set the permissions. This is not necessary of you you your home dir's:

            sudo chown $USER /user/localsrc

            and for insurance

            sudo chmod u+rwx /usr/local/src

            That should fix your permission problems. Just remove the original install and build again to be safe with permissions.

            - For some reason "sudo checkinstall -D" is taking FOREVER. (it's been running for about ten minutes with no further output past

            >>> KI7MT - Indeed, that is not normal. It should takes only a few seconds. I'm not sure it this is a permission issue, or package dep / version problem. Again, It's hard for me to test on 8.04

            "========================= Installation results ==========================="
            -- and it's got cmake using about 85% of CPU (on a 1GHz system).

            I do however have working 1.14 versions of "tqsl" and "tqslcert" in "/usr/local/src/tqsl-114/apps". I just copied them to /usr/bin & all is well.

            >>> KI7MT - This may, in the long run cause issues, I'd recommend getting the permissions on the folders fixed,  and build it again. Let me know if checkinstall is giving you trouble and I'll do some digging on it as best I can without having 8.04 installed.

            Doug Smith W9WI
            Pleasant View, TN EM66

          • ki7mt
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
              Just to clear things up a bit and fix my lame typo's, re-posting a condensed version:
              Please post comments, problems, or improvement suggestions

              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/
              # TrustedQSL 1.14-RC6 build on Ubuntu 12.04-LTS
              # Tested on Ubuntu 12.04.2 + updates
              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/

              # Needed System Packages:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
              sudo apt-get install build-essentials checkinstall cmake

              # Set permissions on /usr/local/src:
              sudo chown &USER /usr/local/src

              and for insurance

              sudo chmod u+rwx /usr/local/src

              # From the INSTALL document, TrustedTQSL depends on the
              # following packages:
              # OpenSSL OpenSSL 1.0.1e
              # wxWidgets 2.8.12
              # Berkeley DB - BDb 5.3.21
              # curl 7.29.0
              # zlib 1.2.7
              # expat expat 2.1.0

              */----------------------------------------------------------/*

              # Install OpenSSL, wxWidgets, Berkeley DB, curl, zlib, expat
              sudo apt-get install openssl libssl-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev zlib1g zlib1g-dev expat

              # Find Berkeley 5 DB
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-cache search Berkeley | grep db5.

              # Then look for & install DB 5.1 & -dev packages
              sudo apt-get install libdb5.1 libdb5.1-dev

              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/
              # BUILD TrustedTQSL 1.14-RC6
              # The tar.gz local will probably change after release
              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/
              cd /usr/local/src
              wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/trustedqsl/files/TrustedQSL/v1.14.RC6/tqsl-114.tar.gz
              tar -xzvf ./tqsl-114.tar.gz
              cd ./tqsl-114

              # Read INSTALL document for install instructions and general
              # information:
              cat ./INSTALL | less

              # Use arrow keys up/dwn. "Q" to Quit.
              # Now execute cmake . ( dont for get the period after cmake . )
              # I do not pass any arguments to cmake / make, I just run it.
              cmake .

              # Then, do make
              make

              # I use [ checkinstall ] at this stage, as it builds a package I
              # can easily removed with dpkg -r <package_name>. Simply
              # follow the prompts, and you really cant go wrong. The -D
              # tell checkinstall to make a Debian package
              sudo checkinstall -D

              # If successful, you should get a message similar to this:
              # Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
              # /usr/local/src/tqsl-114/tqsl_114-1_i386.deb
              # You can remove it from your system anytime using:
              #  sudo dpkg -r tqsl
              # Now you can erun the app
              /usr/local/bin/tqsl
              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/

              # To run tqsl
              /usr/local/bin/tqsl

              /*----------------------------------------------------------*/

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
                Just to clear things up a bit and fix "more" lame typo's, re-posting a condensed version.

                /*------------------------------------------------------------*/
                Changes Made:
                -- fixed build-essential
                -- fixed permission setting
                -- Added libexpat1-dev to install list
                -- Build successfully on Dell-D400  1.6Ghz, 512md ram using the procedure

                Please post comments, problems, or improvement suggestions

                /*------------------------------------------------------------*/
                # TrustedQSL 1.14-RC6 build on Ubuntu 12.04-LTS
                # Tested on:
                # Ubuntu 12.04.2 + updates - 2.8ghz Core2, 4gb RAM
                # Lubuntu X11 LXDE 12.04.2 + updates - 1.6Ghz 512mb RAM
                /*------------------------------------------------------------*/

                # Needed System Packages:
                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
                sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall cmake

                # Set permissions on /usr/local/src:
                sudo chown $USER /usr/local/src

                and for insurance
                sudo chmod u+rwx /usr/local/src

                # From the INSTALL document, TrustedTQSL depends on the
                # following packages:
                # OpenSSL OpenSSL 1.0.1e
                # wxWidgets 2.8.12
                # Berkeley DB - BDb 5.3.21
                # curl 7.29.0
                # zlib 1.2.7
                # expat expat 2.1.0

                */----------------------------------------------------------/*

                # Install OpenSSL, wxWidgets, Berkeley DB, curl, zlib, expat
                sudo apt-get install openssl libssl-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev zlib1g zlib1g-dev expat libexpat1-dev

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 23, 2013
                  > Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt

                  > from 10.04 shortly after official release, so I really have no way of
                  > testing regression issues back to 8.04

                  Yeah, I really wasn't expecting it to run unmodified on an OS this old and am pleasantly surprised it took as little diddling as it did. Please don't
                  waste any time trying to troubleshoot this old version; chances are I'll be the only one to ever try to run it on 8.04 & after I get an opportunity to
                  upgrade the OS later this summer it'll be an entirely moot point!

                  K5GM: the reason for not upgrading is time.. my past experience has been that OS upgrades *will* break *something*. Whatever it breaks can be fixed,
                  but only if one has the time to work on it..

                  > /usr/local/src need to set the permissions. This is not necessary of
                  > you you your home dir's:

                  I tend to be a bit slow about "permanently" (kinda) changing permissions when sudo will do -- although on the other hand, it would certainly make
                  sense to be able to write under /usr/local/src..

                  > getting the permissions on the folders fixed, and build it again. Let
                  > me know if checkinstall is giving you trouble and I'll do some digging
                  > on it as best I can without having 8.04 installed.

                  I'm afraid it doesn't help. The first time you run checkinstall, it builds the three items -- then hangs. "top" shows cmake using 85-95% of CPU &
                  it'll just sit there. FWIW there's no disk activity.

                  Again, I don't think it's probably worth the effort at troubleshooting this old version..

                  --

                  Doug Smith W9WI
                  Pleasant View, TN EM66