Re: [ARRL-LOTW] tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?

  • Robert KC2YWE
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
      Greg - As Rick also mentioned, this is fixed in 1.14 which is nearing release. We strongly recommend using that rather than attempting to fix the configure script. Even after you do that, there's a number of OpenSSL bugs that need fixing in the tqsllib 2.2 (from 1.13) source that are fixed in tqsllib 2.3 (from 1.14). tqsllib 2.3 is API and ABI compatible with the previous version so there is no problem coding against it and we consider it stable.

      73,
      -Robert, KC2YWE

      On Apr 19, 2013, at 2:38 PM, ki7mt <ki7mt@...> wrote:

      Hi Rick,

      Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they should be, to a place they should not.

      The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this ironed out.

      I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from source first.

      Hi Doug,

      I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

      73's Greg, KI7MT

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
        At 02:38 PM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

        >Hi Rick,
        >
        >Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they
        >should be, to a place they should not.

        Well, what you're asking for is for an old piece of software that was
        designed many years before the Debian folks decided to move things
        around should magically be brought up to date. That means that you
        either need to run a more recent version of the software, or work
        around the problem. IMHO, this was a dumb decision on Debian's part,
        but that's why I never run Debian: I don't like gratituous
        incompatibilities.

        If the 1.14 beta releases have the same problem, I would be surprised
        since the distribution should have updated cmake to look in the right
        places. That's what you should be working with.

        >The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this
        >ironed out.
        >
        >I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB
        >SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm
        >working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing
        >source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from
        >source first.
        >
        >Hi Doug,
        >
        >I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB
        >versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for
        >whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the
        >case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script
        >to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure
        >script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking
        >of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to
        >wait and see.

        Don't ask anyone to waste time on the configure script. It's dead. Use
        cmake and 1.14 source.
      • ki7mt
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
          Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.

          I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

          The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.

          Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

          Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.

          dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc

          dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc

          73's Greg, KI7MT
        • w8jmf
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
            Greg,

            The ß code seems pretty stable, at least on Windoze.

            http://www.arrl.org/trustedqsl-beta-release

            If you put tqsl beta in the search window on the ARRL site this link also will be found.

            73, John

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "ki7mt" <ki7mt@...> wrote:

            > Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
            >
            > I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?
            >
            > The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
            >

            > Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?
            >

            > Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.
            >
            > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc
            >
            > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc
            >

            > 73's Greg, KI7MT

          • ki7mt
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
              Thanks John.

              73's Greg, KI7MT

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                At 03:33 AM 4/20/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                >Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of
                >which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and
                >expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                >
                >I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                Yup, it's still a beta. Close to release (as you probably saw).

                >The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL
                >website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                >
                >Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                You've already gotten pointed to the repository (thanks, John).

                >Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here
                >if you want it.

                I'll grab a copy and make sure the relevant updates make it to our
                source code.
                I did pull the Debian fixes several months ago and inserted their
                changes, so I suspect they're already incorporated.