Re: tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?

  • Doug Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
      ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 3d. Re: tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?
      > Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt
      > Date: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 am ((PDT))
      >
      > I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2
      >
      > expat and zlib both installed
      >
      > Configure:
      > ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib
      >
      > -------------
      > checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found
      >
      > OpenSSL not found
      > Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
      > -------------
      >
      > Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:
      >
      > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a
      >
      > I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on UB-12.xx before?

      I have, on Ubuntu 8.04. (yep, it's old. Don't have the time to upgrade right now..)

      Same symptoms: it insists OpenSSL doesn't exist, but it does. Using --with-openssl to point at the correct directory doesn't help. Synaptic swears I
      have the current version of OpenSSL.

      (I was betting you were right -- it's a version issue, that I have the newest version that works with 8.04 but TQSL requires something newer -- but if
      you're having the same problem with a 12.x version of the OS?)

      --

      Doug Smith W9WI
      Pleasant View, TN EM66
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
        Hi Rick,

        Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they should be, to a place they should not.

        The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this ironed out.

        I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from source first.

        Hi Doug,

        I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

        73's Greg, KI7MT
      • Robert KC2YWE

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
            At 02:38 PM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

            >Hi Rick,
            >
            >Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they
            >should be, to a place they should not.

            Well, what you're asking for is for an old piece of software that was
            designed many years before the Debian folks decided to move things
            around should magically be brought up to date. That means that you
            either need to run a more recent version of the software, or work
            around the problem. IMHO, this was a dumb decision on Debian's part,
            but that's why I never run Debian: I don't like gratituous
            incompatibilities.

            If the 1.14 beta releases have the same problem, I would be surprised
            since the distribution should have updated cmake to look in the right
            places. That's what you should be working with.

            >The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this
            >ironed out.
            >
            >I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB
            >SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm
            >working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing
            >source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from
            >source first.
            >
            >Hi Doug,
            >
            >I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB
            >versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for
            >whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the
            >case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script
            >to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure
            >script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking
            >of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to
            >wait and see.

            Don't ask anyone to waste time on the configure script. It's dead. Use
            cmake and 1.14 source.
          • ki7mt
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
              Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.

              I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

              The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.

              Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

              Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.

              dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc

              dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc

              73's Greg, KI7MT
            • w8jmf
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                Greg,

                The ß code seems pretty stable, at least on Windoze.

                http://www.arrl.org/trustedqsl-beta-release

                If you put tqsl beta in the search window on the ARRL site this link also will be found.

                73, John

                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "ki7mt" <ki7mt@...> wrote:

                > Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                >
                > I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?
                >
                > The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                >

                > Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?
                >

                > Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.
                >
                > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc
                >
                > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc
                >

                > 73's Greg, KI7MT

              • ki7mt
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                  Thanks John.

                  73's Greg, KI7MT

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                    At 03:33 AM 4/20/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                    >Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of
                    >which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and
                    >expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                    >
                    >I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                    Yup, it's still a beta. Close to release (as you probably saw).

                    >The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL
                    >website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                    >
                    >Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                    You've already gotten pointed to the repository (thanks, John).

                    >Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here
                    >if you want it.

                    I'll grab a copy and make sure the relevant updates make it to our
                    source code.
                    I did pull the Debian fixes several months ago and inserted their
                    changes, so I suspect they're already incorporated.