Re: tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?

  • ki7mt
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
      I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2

      expat and zlib both installed

      Configure:
      ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib

      -------------
      checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found

      OpenSSL not found
      Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
      -------------

      Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:

      /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a

      I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on UB-12.xx before?

      73's Greg, KI7MT

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
        At 04:03 AM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

        >I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2
        >
        >expat and zlib both installed
        >
        >Configure:
        >./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
        >--with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib

        I'd start with 1.14 rather than 1.13. It's a lot easier to "assist"
        cmake with finding things in odd places. However, what you're doing
        with the "--with-openssl" switch won't work.

        >-------------
        >checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found
        >
        >OpenSSL not found
        >Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
        >-------------
        >
        >Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:
        >
        >/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a

        That's a deliberate decision made by Ubuntu to move libraries out of
        where they belong (/usr/lib) so you can have multiple architectures on
        one system (allowing you to cross-compile, I guess).

        That breaks the configure script because it's not aware of that. One
        easy fix is to symlink the library to /usr/lib:
        $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a /usr/lib/libcrypto.a

        The configure script expects the prefix you provide (--with-zlib, for
        example) to point to a directory with the distribution of openssl, with
        subdirectories "/lib" for libraries and "/include" for header files.
        The same is true for zlib and expat, by the way.

        >I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on
        >UB-12.xx before?

        This change was implemented in Ubuntu 11.04.
        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

        Basically, you need to drop the "--with" switches and link the library
        files into /usr/lib. Ugly, I know.
      • Doug Smith
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
          ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > 3d. Re: tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?
          > Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt
          > Date: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 am ((PDT))
          >
          > I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2
          >
          > expat and zlib both installed
          >
          > Configure:
          > ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib
          >
          > -------------
          > checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found
          >
          > OpenSSL not found
          > Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
          > -------------
          >
          > Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:
          >
          > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a
          >
          > I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on UB-12.xx before?

          I have, on Ubuntu 8.04. (yep, it's old. Don't have the time to upgrade right now..)

          Same symptoms: it insists OpenSSL doesn't exist, but it does. Using --with-openssl to point at the correct directory doesn't help. Synaptic swears I
          have the current version of OpenSSL.

          (I was betting you were right -- it's a version issue, that I have the newest version that works with 8.04 but TQSL requires something newer -- but if
          you're having the same problem with a 12.x version of the OS?)

          --

          Doug Smith W9WI
          Pleasant View, TN EM66
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
            Hi Rick,

            Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they should be, to a place they should not.

            The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this ironed out.

            I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from source first.

            Hi Doug,

            I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

            73's Greg, KI7MT
          • Robert KC2YWE

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                At 02:38 PM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                >Hi Rick,
                >
                >Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they
                >should be, to a place they should not.

                Well, what you're asking for is for an old piece of software that was
                designed many years before the Debian folks decided to move things
                around should magically be brought up to date. That means that you
                either need to run a more recent version of the software, or work
                around the problem. IMHO, this was a dumb decision on Debian's part,
                but that's why I never run Debian: I don't like gratituous
                incompatibilities.

                If the 1.14 beta releases have the same problem, I would be surprised
                since the distribution should have updated cmake to look in the right
                places. That's what you should be working with.

                >The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this
                >ironed out.
                >
                >I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB
                >SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm
                >working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing
                >source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from
                >source first.
                >
                >Hi Doug,
                >
                >I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB
                >versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for
                >whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the
                >case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script
                >to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure
                >script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking
                >of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to
                >wait and see.

                Don't ask anyone to waste time on the configure script. It's dead. Use
                cmake and 1.14 source.
              • ki7mt
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                  Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.

                  I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                  The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.

                  Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                  Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.

                  dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc

                  dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc

                  73's Greg, KI7MT
                • w8jmf
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Greg,

                    The ß code seems pretty stable, at least on Windoze.

                    http://www.arrl.org/trustedqsl-beta-release

                    If you put tqsl beta in the search window on the ARRL site this link also will be found.

                    73, John

                    --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "ki7mt" <ki7mt@...> wrote:

                    > Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                    >
                    > I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?
                    >
                    > The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                    >

                    > Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?
                    >

                    > Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.
                    >
                    > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc
                    >
                    > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc
                    >

                    > 73's Greg, KI7MT

                  • ki7mt
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                      Thanks John.

                      73's Greg, KI7MT

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                        At 03:33 AM 4/20/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                        >Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of
                        >which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and
                        >expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                        >
                        >I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                        Yup, it's still a beta. Close to release (as you probably saw).

                        >The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL
                        >website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                        >
                        >Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                        You've already gotten pointed to the repository (thanks, John).

                        >Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here
                        >if you want it.

                        I'll grab a copy and make sure the relevant updates make it to our
                        source code.
                        I did pull the Debian fixes several months ago and inserted their
                        changes, so I suspect they're already incorporated.