No digital QST

  • Gil Baron W0MN
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
      Really frustrating to get print edition of QST before digital is available. I get many digital editions of magazines and newspapers and QST IS the ONLY one to arrive late.
      Print arrived today.

      iPad Gil W0MN
      Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
    • Larry Banks
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
        Define "late!"

        You don't pay for the digital edition, so I take it as an additional perk.

        73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
            On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
            > Really frustrating to get print edition of QST before digital is available. I get many digital editions of magazines and newspapers and QST IS the ONLY one to arrive late.
            > Print arrived today.

            Not sure how that affects LOTW performance, but since you mentioned it ...

            I have many computers and tablets and have no interest in the Digital edition.

            If the organization wants to have a permanent record of their
            activities, as they do now, then they need to stick with a paper
            journal. Using the digital edition only encourages them to move away
            from a permanent record. The digital edition is the first step to the
            end of the paper QST regardless of what HQ and Board believe in their
            heart of hearts. Here's how it will go:

            1) Start to remove content from print edition and make it "web-based"
            - check (about 2002)

            2) Introduce digital edition - check.

            3) Make it possible to "opt out" of paper edition - check.

            4) Begin to notice that fewer and fewer members are taking paper
            edition - to be done.

            5) Provide incentives to members to "go paperless!" - to be done.

            6) Begin more radical cuts to paper edition content "in an effort to
            bring costs under control" - to be done.

            7) Begin charging extra for members that want paper edition - to be done.

            At some point there will be so few members receiving the paper edition
            that it will be dropped because it will be uneconomical. Then there
            will no longer be a permanent record of the activities of the
            organization.

            This is not a pessimist's fantasy, it's inevitable.

          • David Levine
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013

              I can't speak specifically for QST but I have been involved in producing online editions of printed magazines and it can and should be MORE work.  Most digital magazines have enhanced content beyond what is in the print version and that is additional cost and effort.

              If the digital version was essentially a PDF version of the printed magazine that it would be correct to assume it be available at the same time as the printed version or even ahead of the print version.

              Digital doesn't necessarily mean less expenses.

              Just some real world experience associated with the transformation from print to digital.

              David -  K2DSL

              On Apr 11, 2013 4:40 PM, "Gil Baron W0MN" <w0mn@...> wrote:

              Late is arrives after the print. Computerized so no excuse for that.
              I cannot easily read the TINY fonts in the print edition so I wait.

              iPad Gil W0MN
              Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

              On Apr 11, 2013, at 3:32 PM, "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@...> wrote:

              Define "late!"

              You don't pay for the digital edition, so I take it as an additional perk.

              73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

              Really frustrating to get print edition of QST before digital is available. I get many digital editions of magazines and newspapers and QST IS the ONLY one to arrive late.
              Print arrived today.

              iPad Gil W0MN
              Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

            • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013

                So why don´t you cancel the print edition? Less trees to cut J

                73,

                Jorge

                CX6VM/CW5W

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                  On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM, David Levine <davidnj@...> wrote:

                  > Digital doesn't necessarily mean less expenses.

                  Can't believe that paper+ink+distribution isn't a huge chunk of total QST production cost.  Even if it's not 25%, taking that cost out of the picture is far too tempting for any organization ... even if other costs went up 10% (which they probably wouldn't).  But that's the price you pay for having a permanent record of the organization's activities.

                  You can go to libraries today and look at Vol 1, No 1 of QST, but in 103 years, you won't be able to do the same with the January 2016 issue ... because it won't be there.  You *might* be able to look it up on line, but 1) that's not certain (likely, but not certain) and 2) you have no indication if what you see then is identical to what was published 103 years before.

                  Yep, call me the "get off my lawn" guy, but this is a problem that has yet to be addressed.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                    Peter,

                    I don't disagree with your reading on the lifespan of QST.  I do disagree about the permanent files issue you have raised.  Now that you have access to all QST's ( or at least most) it is not difficult to create your own archive. You are a ARRL member aren't you?  It is probably even possible today to find a memory stick large enough to hold all QST's.  Whether or not it is worth your investment in time and technology is a question only you can answer.

                    Cheers
                    John / WA1JG

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013

                      Like I started out with,  I can't tell you specifically about QST but the cost of printing and distributing magazines (and books! ) is not the bulk of the cost.  Enhancing the print product when delivering a digital version can be much more costly and involve costs beyond the production of the enhanced content such as app development and support and electronic content distribution costs.

                      If QST doesnt contain any enhanced digital content and the production process automatically generates a digital version with no additional work,  then I previously mentioned,  it would be available before or at the same time as the print edition without much of any additional cost to create each edition.

                      K2DSL -  David

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013

                        Sorry for the quick reply but it actually costs $10s of thousands of dollars more for digital editions of magazines I have been involved in. Yes,  these are not mom and pop magazines and if I mentioned the names everyone would know them.

                        Again,  that might not mirror what QSTs enhanced digital version costs,  but to generalize and say it costs less for a digital version isn't necessarily accurate based on actual experience. It is why publishers dont necessarily give away the digital edition for free,  though they often have a lower rate vs paying twice.

                        K2DSL - David

                        On Apr 11, 2013 6:11 PM, "David Levine" <david@...> wrote:

                        Like I started out with,  I can't tell you specifically about QST but the cost of printing and distributing magazines (and books! ) is not the bulk of the cost.  Enhancing the print product when delivering a digital version can be much more costly and involve costs beyond the production of the enhanced content such as app development and support and electronic content distribution costs.

                        If QST doesnt contain any enhanced digital content and the production process automatically generates a digital version with no additional work,  then I previously mentioned,  it would be available before or at the same time as the print edition without much of any additional cost to create each edition.

                        K2DSL -  David

                        On Apr 11, 2013 5:55 PM, "Peter Laws" <plaws0@...> wrote:

                        On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM, David Levine <davidnj@...> wrote:

                        > Digital doesn't necessarily mean less expenses.

                        Can't believe that paper+ink+distribution isn't a huge chunk of total QST production cost.  Even if it's not 25%, taking that cost out of the picture is far too tempting for any organization ... even if other costs went up 10% (which they probably wouldn't).  But that's the price you pay for having a permanent record of the organization's activities.

                        You can go to libraries today and look at Vol 1, No 1 of QST, but in 103 years, you won't be able to do the same with the January 2016 issue ... because it won't be there.  You *might* be able to look it up on line, but 1) that's not certain (likely, but not certain) and 2) you have no indication if what you see then is identical to what was published 103 years before.

                        Yep, call me the "get off my lawn" guy, but this is a problem that has yet to be addressed.
                      • KA9JAC
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                          But cutting trees is not always a bad thing.
                          Properly done it can help the environment
                          And paper is a renewable resource.

                          73
                          Bob, KA9JAC

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013

                              But why is it frustrating and especially “really frustrating”? It is April 11 and I received my MAY printed issue. Most likely I will receive the digital issue before the end of April. Both in plenty of time for May. I wish this was the biggest problem I faced today.

                              73,

                              N2TK, Tony

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                                Some just have to have something to Whine about.:-)

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                                  Did you complain to the league?

                                  At any rate, the digital edition is always available on the 14th, I believe.

                                  73,
                                  -jav k4jh

                                  On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
                                  Really frustrating to get print edition of QST before digital is available. I get many digital editions of magazines and newspapers and QST IS the ONLY one to arrive late.
                                  Print arrived today.

                                  iPad Gil W0MN
                                  Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Gil Baron W0MN
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 11, 2013
                                    I think 14 is correct now that you mention it. I guess if always on 14 that is not so bad.
                                    As for permanent record it is true that paper also deteriorates. I doubt ARRL permanent matters all that much.
                                    Mpls Star Tribune has a great amount of enhancement and is always out hours before print. They charge 15 bucks a year extra to get digital if you subscribe. Well worth it.
                                    Rochester PB PDF free to subscribers but minimal enhancement.
                                    Wired is free to subscribers.
                                    I guess I am not doing so badly. I yield!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 13, 2013
                                      that is still early
                                      Perhaps they should wait and not make it available until the 1st of the month.
                                      That would be right on time.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 13, 2013
                                        People--
                                        I would have been surprised if my digital edition had come this early; Mine usually is announced at mid-month.
                                        Bill—W4BSG