Trusted QSL" version 1.14......... testing....... Swisslog errors

  • guy
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6 11:22 AM
      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...> wrote:

      > What do the error messages say, Guy?
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Dave, AA6YQ

      Hi Dave,

      1st one says : "Swisslog V5
      assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)

      2nd says "Error !"
      the lotw library could not be loaded
      Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
      Please download trustedQSL from :
      http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
      and install it

      I already had this last message with previous installations of TQSL
      and usually, simply by copying tqsl's dll libraries in the swisslog directory, it worked again...This time, no

      The first message worries me much more.....

      Guy F6DKQ
    • Frank T Brady
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6 11:53 AM
        It sure sounds like swisslog used TQSL library (or whatever it's called) and those functions have changed during this update?
        73, frank w0ecs

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6 12:43 PM
          At 02:22 PM 4/6/2013, guy wrote:

          >--- In <mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com>ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com,
          >"Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > What do the error messages say, Guy?
          > >
          > > 73,
          > >
          > > Dave, AA6YQ
          >
          >Hi Dave,
          >
          >1st one says : "Swisslog V5
          >assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)
          >
          >2nd says "Error !"
          >the lotw library could not be loaded
          >Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
          >Please download trustedQSL from :
          ><http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download>http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
          >and install it

          I was able to reproduce this with a clean Swisslog install.

          Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
          to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
          clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
          having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?
        • Robert KC2YWE
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6 12:55 PM
            On 4/6/2013 2:22 PM, guy wrote:
            > 1st one says : "Swisslog V5
            > assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)
            >
            > 2nd says "Error !"
            > the lotw library could not be loaded
            > Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
            > Please download trustedQSL from :
            > http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
            > and install it
            >
            > I already had this last message with previous installations of TQSL
            > and usually, simply by copying tqsl's dll libraries in the swisslog
            > directory, it worked again...This time, no

            We've compiled TrustedQSL, including tqsllib2.dll, with an entirely
            different set of tools (Visual Studio) for this release. I went to some
            effort to ensure that the new DLL is "ABI-compatible" with the old one
            (which means it can be used as a drop-in replacement, which we've
            verified by using the 1.14 DLL with 1.13 TQSL) but it's possible that
            the compatibility isn't complete.

            That said, this would generally result in a Windows error saying
            something like "can't find entry point". An assertion error sounds to me
            like it's checking something specific, like the version number, and
            failing if that's not correct. There's nothing we can do in that case.
            But, if it's using the library directly and is no longer updated, the
            improvements are more minimal - consisting mostly of bug fixes and
            improved error text. There's minimal benefit to upgrading to 1.14 for
            this case.

            73,
            -Robert, KC2YWE
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6 1:06 PM
              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6 1:23 PM
                At 03:55 PM 4/6/2013, Robert KC2YWE wrote:

                >We've compiled TrustedQSL, including tqsllib2.dll, with an entirely
                >different set of tools (Visual Studio) for this release. I went to some
                >effort to ensure that the new DLL is "ABI-compatible" with the old one
                >(which means it can be used as a drop-in replacement, which we've
                >verified by using the 1.14 DLL with 1.13 TQSL) but it's possible that
                >the compatibility isn't complete.
                >
                >That said, this would generally result in a Windows error saying
                >something like "can't find entry point". An assertion error sounds to me
                >like it's checking something specific, like the version number, and
                >failing if that's not correct. There's nothing we can do in that case.
                >But, if it's using the library directly and is no longer updated, the
                >improvements are more minimal - consisting mostly of bug fixes and
                >improved error text. There's minimal benefit to upgrading to 1.14 for
                >this case.

                Well, it's interesting. I just ignored the assertion failure and tried
                a few operations.
                Swisslog is successfully reading my station locations, finding my
                certificates, and so forth, so it's clearly working with
                the new DLL. I don't know what the assertion failure means, so it's up
                to the Swisslog author to tell us.

                Sorry for the panic attack. :)
              • Robert KC2YWE
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6 3:32 PM
                  On 4/6/2013 3:43 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:

                  > Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
                  > to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
                  > clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
                  > having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?

                  That's what's confusing me, because we're exporting the GCC-mangled
                  entrypoints as well as the VC++ ones. I had to write a custom .def file
                  to do this, but I can confirm that the 1.14 DLL works with the 1.13 TQSL.

                  73,
                  -Robert, KC2YWE
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6 8:36 PM
                    At 06:32 PM 4/6/2013, Robert KC2YWE wrote:

                    >On 4/6/2013 3:43 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
                    > > to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
                    > > clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
                    > > having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?
                    >
                    >That's what's confusing me, because we're exporting the GCC-mangled
                    >entrypoints as well as the VC++ ones. I had to write a custom .def file
                    >to do this, but I can confirm that the 1.14 DLL works with the 1.13 TQSL.

                    I think we're OK - Swisslog seems to be able to use the DLL even though
                    it reports an error.
                    The suggestion that it's seeing a new version number and complaining
                    about that seems credible.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6 9:08 PM