RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: "Trusted QSL" version 1.14 is available for beta testing Swisslog

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013

      What do the error messages say, Guy?

      From: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of F6DKQ
      Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:21 PM
      To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: "Trusted QSL" version 1.14 is available for beta testing Swisslog

      This new version is not compatible with Swisslog (2 error messages )
      Anyway Swisslog is no longer updated,
      (now public domain software)

      Guy F6DKQ

      No virus found in this message.

    • guy
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...> wrote:

        > What do the error messages say, Guy?
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Dave, AA6YQ

        Hi Dave,

        1st one says : "Swisslog V5
        assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)

        2nd says "Error !"
        the lotw library could not be loaded
        Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
        Please download trustedQSL from :
        http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
        and install it

        I already had this last message with previous installations of TQSL
        and usually, simply by copying tqsl's dll libraries in the swisslog directory, it worked again...This time, no

        The first message worries me much more.....

        Guy F6DKQ
      • Frank T Brady
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
          It sure sounds like swisslog used TQSL library (or whatever it's called) and those functions have changed during this update?
          73, frank w0ecs

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
            At 02:22 PM 4/6/2013, guy wrote:

            >--- In <mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com>ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com,
            >"Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What do the error messages say, Guy?
            > >
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Dave, AA6YQ
            >
            >Hi Dave,
            >
            >1st one says : "Swisslog V5
            >assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)
            >
            >2nd says "Error !"
            >the lotw library could not be loaded
            >Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
            >Please download trustedQSL from :
            ><http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download>http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
            >and install it

            I was able to reproduce this with a clean Swisslog install.

            Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
            to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
            clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
            having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?
          • Robert KC2YWE
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
              On 4/6/2013 2:22 PM, guy wrote:
              > 1st one says : "Swisslog V5
              > assertion failure (E:\D6\swv5\source\tqsllibswl.pas ligne 2610)
              >
              > 2nd says "Error !"
              > the lotw library could not be loaded
              > Probably LOTW (trustedQSL) is not installed
              > Please download trustedQSL from :
              > http://www.arrl.org/lotw/#download
              > and install it
              >
              > I already had this last message with previous installations of TQSL
              > and usually, simply by copying tqsl's dll libraries in the swisslog
              > directory, it worked again...This time, no

              We've compiled TrustedQSL, including tqsllib2.dll, with an entirely
              different set of tools (Visual Studio) for this release. I went to some
              effort to ensure that the new DLL is "ABI-compatible" with the old one
              (which means it can be used as a drop-in replacement, which we've
              verified by using the 1.14 DLL with 1.13 TQSL) but it's possible that
              the compatibility isn't complete.

              That said, this would generally result in a Windows error saying
              something like "can't find entry point". An assertion error sounds to me
              like it's checking something specific, like the version number, and
              failing if that's not correct. There's nothing we can do in that case.
              But, if it's using the library directly and is no longer updated, the
              improvements are more minimal - consisting mostly of bug fixes and
              improved error text. There's minimal benefit to upgrading to 1.14 for
              this case.

              73,
              -Robert, KC2YWE
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                  At 03:55 PM 4/6/2013, Robert KC2YWE wrote:

                  >We've compiled TrustedQSL, including tqsllib2.dll, with an entirely
                  >different set of tools (Visual Studio) for this release. I went to some
                  >effort to ensure that the new DLL is "ABI-compatible" with the old one
                  >(which means it can be used as a drop-in replacement, which we've
                  >verified by using the 1.14 DLL with 1.13 TQSL) but it's possible that
                  >the compatibility isn't complete.
                  >
                  >That said, this would generally result in a Windows error saying
                  >something like "can't find entry point". An assertion error sounds to me
                  >like it's checking something specific, like the version number, and
                  >failing if that's not correct. There's nothing we can do in that case.
                  >But, if it's using the library directly and is no longer updated, the
                  >improvements are more minimal - consisting mostly of bug fixes and
                  >improved error text. There's minimal benefit to upgrading to 1.14 for
                  >this case.

                  Well, it's interesting. I just ignored the assertion failure and tried
                  a few operations.
                  Swisslog is successfully reading my station locations, finding my
                  certificates, and so forth, so it's clearly working with
                  the new DLL. I don't know what the assertion failure means, so it's up
                  to the Swisslog author to tell us.

                  Sorry for the panic attack. :)
                • Robert KC2YWE
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                    On 4/6/2013 3:43 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:

                    > Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
                    > to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
                    > clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
                    > having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?

                    That's what's confusing me, because we're exporting the GCC-mangled
                    entrypoints as well as the VC++ ones. I had to write a custom .def file
                    to do this, but I can confirm that the 1.14 DLL works with the 1.13 TQSL.

                    73,
                    -Robert, KC2YWE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                      At 06:32 PM 4/6/2013, Robert KC2YWE wrote:

                      >On 4/6/2013 3:43 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Robert, this sounds like Swisslog is linking to the DLL and expecting
                      > > to see the GCC mangled entrypoints for the tqsl functions, not the
                      > > clean ones coming from VC++. Is there any way to fix this other than
                      > > having Swisslog change the linkage for the new tqsllib2.dll?
                      >
                      >That's what's confusing me, because we're exporting the GCC-mangled
                      >entrypoints as well as the VC++ ones. I had to write a custom .def file
                      >to do this, but I can confirm that the 1.14 DLL works with the 1.13 TQSL.

                      I think we're OK - Swisslog seems to be able to use the DLL even though
                      it reports an error.
                      The suggestion that it's seeing a new version number and complaining
                      about that seems credible.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013