RE: [ARRL-LOTW] "Trusted QSL" version 1.14 is available for beta testing

    Message 1 of 107 , Apr 4, 2013

      +++ more AA6YQ comments below

      From: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Banks
      Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:13 PM
      To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ARRL-LOTW] "Trusted QSL" version 1.14 is available for beta testing

      Hi Dave, et.al.,

      This is not meant to be in any way a negative comment.  Perhaps using "plain English" would be better than "engineering English" for this warning.  This might be especially useful for non-English speaking hams.  (I used to develop human interfaces for medical equipment, so I have some experience here.)  Here is my attempt at this language:

      The log file you are uploading using TrustedQSL includes some previously uploaded duplicate QSOs and can overload the LoTW system.  This might be caused by how you are using your logger, or there might be a more recent version of your logger that would prevent this.  Please check with your logger's vendor.

      +++ Thanks Larry. The information we are trying to convey with the message

      "The program (such as a logger) that has started TrustedQSL does not appear to
      be duplicate-handling aware. Please check for an updated version of this
      software."

      +++ is that TQSL has been started by an application  that has not been updated to specify how TQSL should handle the duplicate QSOs it’s encountered. We’d like the user to check to see if there’s a new version of the application in question, and if not to contact the supplier of that application and encourage them to release such an update.

      +++ How would you suggest we word this?

      Looks very much like the logger is being blamed to me!!!!!!  I can read!!!!!

      "The program (such as a logger) that has started TrustedQSL does not appear to
      be duplicate-handling aware. Please check for an updated version of this
      software."

      >>>”Does not appear to be duplicate-handling aware” is a statement of fact: either the command line includes a duplicate-handling switch, or it doesn’t. There is no notion of “blame” in this statement.

      No virus found in this message.

    • Gary AL9A
      Message 107 of 107 , Apr 7, 2013
        Thanks Robert.  TQSL V1.14 now reinstalled and a new tq8 file just uploaded.  Will check the status in the morning.

        73,
        Gary AL9A