Re: Re: Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: WAC

  • ab7la-1@q.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 14, 2013
      Congratulations! Very cool indeed. It does work & I've never had any hacking or other issues in the past 7-8 years of using DARC.

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 14, 2013
        Yeah, I can see the headlines now...

        "HACKERS BREAK INTO DARC WEBSITE

        It was disclosed today that hackers completed a vigilant attack, spending the past 3 months and finally breaking into the DARC website. They gleefully made off with 100's of DXCC and other certificates, worth untold value on the "World-wide Ham Radio Awards Underground Market".

        The DARC IT Team quickly patched the leak and have notified all current holders of the award to be on the lookout for sources offering DXCC and other awards paper on a "too good to be true" basis.

        The ARRL has joined in the effort to stiffen up the certificate program by creating a new DXCC certificate which contains micro-threads, holographic images, and nano RFID units embedded into the paper stock.

        Current DXCC holders can obtain a replacement certificate which includes these new anti-hacking features by sending $299.95 to the DXCC desk. Cash only."

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon <w1ksz@...> wrote:

        > Their English translation is not complete. I couldn't figure out where
        > to set
        > up an account.
        >
        > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
        >

        > On 3/14/2013 9:57 AM, ab7la-1@... wrote:
        > >
        > > You can also go to the Deutscher Amateur Radio Club website
        > > (dcl.darc.de) create an account, upload your contacts from LoTW & as
        > > long as you have the 6 contacts confirmed in LoTW you can apply for a
        > > WAC no charge. Once your application is approved they will notify you
        > > & you can print out the award from their website. I have used this
        > > with complete success.

    • George Hughes
      Message 3 of 30 , Mar 14, 2013
        Sounds like some operators at one time or another cheated the system (sometime called short cutting it) and the powers at be decided to use this rule to get things back together again.  Rule, right or wrong?????
        Very often too many abuses affects us all usually in a negative way.
        Remember this if you tell the truth, no one gets hurt.  Tell a lie and minimum of 2 get hurt.  I used  to tell my Boy Scout that all the time.
        de AF4GH George

        On 3/14/2013 11:44 AM, Joe wrote:
        What if you do not have DXCC yet? But are working of course to it.

        Seems ODD  that you would have to have 100+ countries confirmed first, before you can qualify for an award that is a hundred times easier to get and needs only 6 cards.

        Joe WB9SBD
        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com
        On 3/14/2013 10:36 AM, Peter Laws wrote:
        If you have DXCC (any mode, band, whatever), you have a DXCC account at HQ ... but it's a different system than LOTW.  Fortunately, the accounts can be linked.  Look on the Awards tab once you're logged in to the LOTW site for instructions.

      • George Hughes
        Message 4 of 30 , Mar 14, 2013
          My previous reply may fit here pretty easily.
          de AF4GH George

          On 3/14/2013 11:52 AM, Chuck Milam, N9KY wrote:

          On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Joe <nss@...> wrote:
          Seems ODD  that you would have to have 100+ countries confirmed first, before you can qualify for an award that is a hundred times easier to get and needs only 6 cards.

          It is odd, indeed, but that's the way it works right now.  In my case, the trick was getting the cards.  It was easier to get the LoTW confirmations for DXCC, then apply the DXCC credits to WAC.

          --
          Chuck Milam, N9KY
          N9KY@...

        • Chuck Milam, N9KY
          Message 5 of 30 , Mar 15, 2013
            On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM, George Hughes <ghhughes@...> wrote:
            My previous reply may fit here pretty easily.

            I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say here.  Why not spell it out for us so we don't misunderstand you?

            --
            Chuck Milam, N9KY
            N9KY@...