Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: Remove Duplicates

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
      At 09:51 AM 3/9/2013, rudy62k wrote:

      >OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ
      >and eQSL.

      You can't use online logging sites to back up your log.
      I can't speak for QRZ, but LoTW and eQSL both only store a limited
      amount of information from what you upload.
      You can reconstruct basic QSO details like call, date, time, mode,
      band, but that's it. On eQSL, I can't find a way to download anything
      but confirmations, but I'll admit that I didn't look very hard.

      There's all sorts of information you'll lose if you try to use an
      online site for a "backup". For example, you can't get back important
      info such as what award credits you have for each QSO, when it was
      QSLed, QSL mode, comments, etc.

      If you want to back up your log, you'll need to do it yourself. My log
      is stored in Dropbox so it's in the cloud, recoverable in the event
      something ever happens.
    • rudy62k
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
        I figured out how to do that. I was able to copy paste from the wildcard search into a spreadsheet. From There I compared it to my paper log and computer log. I'll just have to keep an eye out for the dupes at LOTW.

        Thanks,

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:

        > Well, since we haven't heard anything about "lost" records, it is still
        > an adequate backup.
        > You just have filter the dupes out of your download
        > 73, frank w0ecs
        >

        > On 3/9/2013 9:51 AM, rudy62k wrote:
        > >

        > > OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ
        > > and eQSL.
        > >
        > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Mark Robinson" <markrob@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I believe the incorrect entry in the database is nicknamed a
        > > "zombie". There
        > > > is no way to remove it.
        > > >
        > > > Just ignore it like the rest of us do. I have quite a few that I have
        > > > created over the years.
        > > >
        > > > Mark N1UK

      • rudy62k
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
          I guess backup was the wrong word to use. I use CQRLog under opensuse linux. I do back it up.. fairly regularly. May a better way to put it would be away to check the accuracy of my logs.

          I hadn't thought of using Dropbox, too. Thanks for the hint.

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

          > At 09:51 AM 3/9/2013, rudy62k wrote:
          > >

          > >OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ
          > >and eQSL.
          >
          > You can't use online logging sites to back up your log.
          > I can't speak for QRZ, but LoTW and eQSL both only store a limited
          > amount of information from what you upload.
          > You can reconstruct basic QSO details like call, date, time, mode,
          > band, but that's it. On eQSL, I can't find a way to download anything
          > but confirmations, but I'll admit that I didn't look very hard.
          >
          > There's all sorts of information you'll lose if you try to use an
          > online site for a "backup". For example, you can't get back important
          > info such as what award credits you have for each QSO, when it was
          > QSLed, QSL mode, comments, etc.
          >
          > If you want to back up your log, you'll need to do it yourself. My log
          > is stored in Dropbox so it's in the cloud, recoverable in the event
          > something ever happens.
          > 73,
          > -Rick

        • rudy62k
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
            Another person suggested Dropbox for a log backup. I'll also take a look at some web based options.

            For my regular packups, I just copy my /home to external storage. They serve both as backups and if I have to evacuate (fires, hurricane) I can grab the netbook a couple of radios and I'm good to go :-)

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Milam, N9KY" <n9ky@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM, rudy62k <rhatton@...> wrote:
            >
            > > OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ and
            > > eQSL.
            >

            > I suppose you could use Clublog for this purpose, but the best log backup
            > is well, an actual backup. Chose one of many options available for live
            > file backup and use it not only for your logs, but your software configs,
            > etc.
            >
            > --
            > Chuck Milam, N9KY
            > N9KY@...

          • KA9JAC
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
              It is still a backup of your log, just not a clean one.
              You really should know how, and have the ability to backup not just your log, but anything of value on your pc.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013

                >>>AA6YQ comments below

                OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ and eQSL.

                >>>Not if you have a logging application that can be configured to reject duplicate QSOs when importing an ADIF file.

                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Robinson" <markrob@...> wrote:

                > I believe the incorrect entry in the database is nicknamed a "zombie". There
                > is no way to remove it.
                >
                > Just ignore it like the rest of us do. I have quite a few that I have
                > created over the years.
                >
                > Mark N1UK

              • rudy62k
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                  You mean like the periodic backups I do to external storage?

                  --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, KA9JAC <ka9jac@...> wrote:

                  > It is still a backup of your log, just not a clean one.
                  > You really should know how, and have the ability to backup not just your
                  > log, but anything of value on your pc.
                  >

                  > rudy62k wrote:
                  > >

                  > > OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ
                  > > and eQSL.
                  > >
                  > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "Mark Robinson" <markrob@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I believe the incorrect entry in the database is nicknamed a
                  > > "zombie". There
                  > > > is no way to remove it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Just ignore it like the rest of us do. I have quite a few that I have
                  > > > created over the years.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mark N1UK

                • KA9JAC
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                    well that depends,
                    Are your periodic backups daily or semi annual
                    If you do daily backups you need not worry about lotw for a backup
                    if you do backups randomly, then you may need consider doing them on a routine basis (daily is good)
                    which is quite easy to do.

                    rudy62k wrote:

                    You mean like the periodic backups I do to external storage?

                    --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, KA9JAC <ka9jac@...> wrote:

                    > It is still a backup of your log, just not a clean one.
                    > You really should know how, and have the ability to backup not just your
                    > log, but anything of value on your pc.
                    >

                    > rudy62k wrote:
                    > >

                    > > OK.. well, that eliminates using LOTW as a log backup, like I use QRZ
                    > > and eQSL.
                    > >
                    > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > "Mark Robinson" <markrob@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I believe the incorrect entry in the database is nicknamed a
                    > > "zombie". There
                    > > > is no way to remove it.
                    > > >
                    > > > Just ignore it like the rest of us do. I have quite a few that I have
                    > > > created over the years.
                    > > >
                    > > > Mark N1UK

                  • rudy62k
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                      I'm going to take that as a no, you don't know how to get rid of the duplicates, and let it go at that.

                      ... and thanks for the help.

                    • Peter Jordahl
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Rudy,
                        Non-removal of "zombie" duplicates is BUILT_IN to the LOTW system. No
                        one is able to remove them.
                        73
                        Pete K5GM

                        On Sat, Mar 9, 2013, at 07:10 PM, rudy62k wrote:

                        > I'm going to take that as a no, you don't know how to get rid of the
                        > duplicates, and let it go at that.
                        >
                        > ... and thanks for the help.
                        >

                        > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, KA9JAC <ka9jac@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > well that depends,
                        > > Are your periodic backups daily or semi annual
                        > > If you do daily backups you need not worry about lotw for a backup
                        > > if you do backups randomly, then you may need consider doing them on a
                        > > routine basis (daily is good)
                        > > which is quite easy to do.
                        > >

                        > > rudy62k wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > You mean like the periodic backups I do to external storage?
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > your

                        > > > <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > have

                        Pete Jordahl, K5GM
                        k5gm@...
                      • rudy62k
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Thanks, but the first person to reply told me that. Much of the rest of this part of the thread has devolved into a "discussion" of backups due to my apparently ill-advised comment about the low suitability of LOTW as a log backup.