Need Help Renewing Certificate

  • gatorman_71
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
      Followed the steps in the help file. Uploaded my request this morning. Instructions become vague at this point. I opened up my certificate a few minutes ago and it asked me if I wanted to load my new certificate from LOTW now? I say yes and it gives me a choice of two files. This is where the instructions stop. Do I want a PKSC#12 file or the TQSL file? How would I know?

      I took a chance and chose the PKSC file. Windows then shows me a box that says select certificate file. At this point, I'm completely lost.

      My file is on my desktop but when I tell my computer to look in my desktop, it isn't there?????????? In fact, none of the files on my desktop show up.

      I realize this is probably as clear as a bell to everyone else but I continue to find LOTW, after all these years, a pain in the ass. No wonder more ops aren't using it.

      Steve, N4JQQ
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
        > I opened up my certificate a few minutes ago and it asked me if I
        > wanted to load my new certificate from LOTW now? I say yes and it
        > gives me a choice of two files. This is where the instructions stop.
        > Do I want a PKSC#12 file or the TQSL file? How would I know?

        If you received a new certificate via e-mail, simply double click
        the attachment in your e-mail program. tQSL should launch and load
        the "N4JQQ.tq6" (presumably) automatically.

        To manually load a new certificate file from LotW, save it to your
        desktop or downloads directory, open "tQSL Cert" select "File |
        Load Certificate File", select "TQSL (.q6) certificate file - A
        file you received from the certificate issuer [ARRL] that contains
        the issued [new] certificate and/or configuration data"

        Note: you must perform these steps using the same computer and while
        logged onto the computer using the same "user account" on the computer
        as you were using when you created the certificate request (renewal).

        Once you have loaded the tq6 file, you would be wise to follow the
        instructions to save the certificate (as a *.p12 file) by selecting
        the new certificate, clicking on "Certificate | Save" and following
        the instructions. The *.p12 file is the only "portable" complete
        certificate and will be needed to move tQSL to another computer or
        restore the certificate following a crash. *.p12 files should be
        stored "off-line" - on a thumb drive, cloud storage or other media
        that you can access from another system if necessary.

        On 3/2/2013 10:11 AM, gatorman_71 wrote:
        > Followed the steps in the help file. Uploaded my request this
        > morning. Instructions become vague at this point. I opened up my
        > certificate a few minutes ago and it asked me if I wanted to load my
        > new certificate from LOTW now? I say yes and it gives me a choice of
        > two files. This is where the instructions stop. Do I want a PKSC#12
        > file or the TQSL file? How would I know?
        >
        > I took a chance and chose the PKSC file. Windows then shows me a box
        > that says select certificate file. At this point, I'm completely
        > lost.
        >
        > My file is on my desktop but when I tell my computer to look in my
        > desktop, it isn't there?????????? In fact, none of the files on my
        > desktop show up.
        >
        > I realize this is probably as clear as a bell to everyone else but I
        > continue to find LOTW, after all these years, a pain in the ass. No
        > wonder more ops aren't using it.
        >
        > Steve, N4JQQ

      • Bry Carling
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
          They need to make this more complicated. I can see that it is just way too simple now. ;)

          "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
          ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          regards,
          Bry Carling

          --
          Sent from mobile phone.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
            That's one of the primary goals of the open source tQSL project
            currently being run by AA6YQ and K1MU. I expect to see the first
            results from them soon (at least some preliminary concept code to
            a small group of alpha testers - with a wider beta test some
            weeks after that).

          • gatorman_71
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
              Thanks for your patience guys. This is still as clear as mud. I uploaded my request to LOTW. It says "you will receive your certificate after it has been created. Your certificate processing request processing is completed."

              I'm thinking that the second sentence is what confused me. I'm thinking they are telling me I'm ready to load something? I guess I have NOT received my new certificate yet though? How long does it take? Where does it show up? Will it be in an email?

              Again, thanks all for your patience.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
                At 06:28 PM 3/2/2013, gatorman_71 wrote:

                >Thanks for your patience guys. This is still as clear as mud. I
                >uploaded my request to LOTW. It says "you will receive your
                >certificate after it has been created. Your certificate processing
                >request processing is completed."

                That's obviously not very clear. What it means is that LoTW has
                accepted your certificate renewal request and there's nothing that you
                have to do at this point.

                >I'm thinking that the second sentence is what confused me. I'm
                >thinking they are telling me I'm ready to load something? I guess I
                >have NOT received my new certificate yet though? How long does it
                >take? Where does it show up? Will it be in an email?

                Yes, your renewal will be processed by ARRL staff and returned to you
                as a .TQ6 file attachment to an e-mail reply. You don't have to do
                anything else at this point until you get the certificate back, which
                may take a few days.

                When you get the renewal response, just open the TQ6 attachment and it
                will install itself, as already mentioned.
              • gatorman_71
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2013
                  Thanks for all the help guys. I got my tq.5 certificate via email and it uploaded automatically. Whewwww. I appreciate the assistance.

                  Steve, N4JQQ