Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Duplicates

  • KD8NNU
    Message 1 of 147 , Feb 23 7:41 AM
      Just an observation on the data.

      We only get a snapshot of data provided by the ARRL website we do not have all the data to do a full analysis.   Thus with this snapshot is not the only reasonable calculation that we can do is for COV?

      COV = Coefficient of Variation

      Just wondering as I only see the dribble of data shown at the website.

      ~73
      Don
      KD8NNU
      -.- -.. ---.. -. -. ..-

      Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Duplicates

      Joe,
      I hate to tell you this, but the definitions as stated below are exactly
      backwards.

      The MEDIAN value is that value for which the number of values below it
      equals the number of values above it.

      The MEAN of a dataset is the sum of all the values divided by the number
      of values; this is commonly called the average value.

      For a symmetrical distribution the median and the mean are identical.
      In the case of LOTW uploads, with many small and fewer large uploads,
      the median will certainly be smaller than the mean.

      I am sure you know this, but it came out backwards in your response to
      Keith.

      73
      Pete Jordahl, K5GM
      (and Keith, yes I am qualified to make the above statements, having a
      Ph.D. in Astronomy)

      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013, at 06:22 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

      > > can you tell me what the difference is between the
      mean and the
      > > median? also, what is the standard deviation?
      >
      > The median is also known as the average ... the mean is the point
      that
      > divides the population in half (half larger, half smaller).
      Standard
      > Deviation is a measure of the randomness or spread of the data.
      Lower
      > standard deviations indicate the data is more tightly clustered
      about
      > the mean while larger standard deviations indicate the
      distribution is
      > broader. I'll leave the academic definitions to the
      textbooks.

      > > All your statistics only apply to normally
      distributed populations,
      > > and not to skewed data, like your
      set.

      > Not true. Statistics are applicable to "single tailed"
      distributions
      > just like "normal" ("bell curve") or rectangular
      distributions as long
      > as the appropriate adjustments are made to sample
      sizes and confidence
      > levels. Single tailed distributions are often
      encountered where the
      > property being sampled can not go below zero (no
      logs/QSOs) but has no
      > practical upper bound.
      >
      > > The
      data about log submissions in the amateur world is highly skewed; I

      cannot rigorously prove this, but logical examination is appropriate.

      > There is no need to "prove" that .. it's assumed in analysis of
      this
      > kind of data and one reason for the larger sample size.
      >
      > Again, if one knows the population has a single tail, uses
      appropriate
      > sample sizes and applies the "single tail" formulas, the
      analysis is
      > just as valid as "normal" or "rectangular" (two tailed)
      populations.

      > 73,
      >
      > ... Joe, W4TV

    • David Cole
      Message 147 of 147 , Aug 24, 2014
        I run ACLog... When you hit the "ALL SINCE" button, change the date to
        be something about a week prior to the LoTW failure...

        I "believe", ACLog got very confused as a result of the fail mode of
        LoTW. That corrected a very similar problem for me.
        --
        Thanks and 73's,
        www.nk7z.net