Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Missing Password(s)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      At 07:35 PM 2/13/2013, Bill Speedie wrote:

      >Hi,
      >
      >Am trying to get set up for LOTW but seem to be missing a password or
      >two. I received the little gold certificate some time ago but when I
      >open the cert it says at the bottom "Password protected" and I don't
      >know where I saved the darn thing.

      If you've forgotten the password for that certificate, then you'll have
      to generate a new unsigned certificate request and upload it to LoTW. I
      would suggest not setting a password on your private key. (Speficially,
      once you enter your e-mail address you'll see a dialog that starts with
      "You may protect your private key for this certificate using a
      password." Don't enter anything there and press "Next". If you want a
      password for your certificate, then you'll need to record it somewhere.

      >I see on the ARRL web site that most cert problems are solved by
      >requesting a new one, but if I do this, won't I have the same problem
      >(or will they send me a temporary password with the new cert)? I also
      >note that there's a password required to access my account at the ARRL
      >site. Is this the same one?

      No, the password on the LoTW site isn't the password it needs unless
      you chose to use the same password. If you've tried that password and
      it doesn't work, then you'll need to get a new certificate.

      If you're not sure if you know the password or not, click on the
      certificate in TQSLcert and choose the "Certificate", "Save" menu item.
      Give it a file name, then press "OK" on the next password window. Now
      you'll see a "Enter the password to unlock the private key" window. You
      can try guessing a valid password using that window.