RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Good grief

  • Gary Hinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013

      Hi Bob.

      This just popped out of the ether with no context.  I guess that was ARRL advising people to choose passwords they can remember, and you advising us to choose strong passwords.

      You can both have your way if we use decent password managers or vaults such as KeePass or Roboform: these can generate, store and remember long gibberish passwords, and recall them in order to login to all the websites and applications we use.  All we need to do is remember the key password that opens the vault – just the one password so the problem is much easier.

      Here are three more tips on this score:

      Tip 1: use a long pass phrase not a pass word.  A line from a favourite song or poem or book is good, complete with punctuation, spaces, capitalization and, for bonus points, deliferate mis-spelings or corrupshuN, just so long as you remember it of course.  When it comes around to changing your password, simply pick the next line of the song or poem or book or whatever.

      Tip 2: be very careful choosing a password vault.  Some of them are Trojans.  Stick to the main brand well-known vendors.  Avoid products from places you would be dubious about visiting for a DXpedition.

      Tip 3: keep your password/s secret, but think about what will happen when you die.  Make it easier for the executors of your will to access your online stuff, bank accounts etc. by disclosing your key password e.g. in a note stored safely with your will.

      73

      Gary ZL2iFB

      [Information security awareness pro by day!]