Re: [ARRL-LOTW] tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?

  • Eric Lorenz K9LGE
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013
      Running N3FJP ACLog under Wine. Does well.

      Eric K9LGE

      On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Chris Hellyar <chris@...> wrote:

      Hi-ho,

      Semi-related question...

      What logging software are you using on ubuntu?

      I'm using a windows laptop for my logging + LoTW etc as I didn't anything I really liked on Linux for the logging end of things...

      73 Chris
      ZL3LF

      On 05/02/13 08:49, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:

      Hi,

      Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (yes, I know I will need to upgrade soon, but not ready to do that yet)...Does anyone know of an archive for tQsl 1.13 that I can get? It appears that the offical Ubuntu packages haven't caught up yet.

      Thanks!
      Eric K9LGE

      --
      -------------
      Eric Lorenz, K9LGE

      Communications & Safety Lead
      American Diabetes Association
      Tour de Cure 2013
      630-430-2421 cell
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013
        At 02:49 PM 2/4/2013, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (yes, I know I will need to upgrade soon, but
        >not ready to do that yet)...Does anyone know of an archive for tQsl
        >1.13 that I can get? It appears that the offical Ubuntu packages
        >haven't caught up yet.

        I don't know of any third-party repositories that carry TrustedQSL.
        You'll probably have to build from source. That's not awfully hard, but
        you'll need to install a bunch of libraries first.
      • Eric Lorenz K9LGE
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013

          Ok...well I guess I will stick with ACLog running under Wine. V1.13 installed fine there as before. I was thinking of trying a Linux based logging program again, but don't have the heart to build from source. If it aint broke...

          Eric K9LGE

          Sent from my Samsung Tablet

          On Feb 4, 2013 8:11 PM, "Rick Murphy/K1MU" <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:
          At 02:49 PM 2/4/2013, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (yes, I know I will need to upgrade soon, but
          >not ready to do that yet)...Does anyone know of an archive for tQsl
          >1.13 that I can get? It appears that the offical Ubuntu packages
          >haven't caught up yet.

          I don't know of any third-party repositories that carry TrustedQSL.
          You'll probably have to build from source. That's not awfully hard, but
          you'll need to install a bunch of libraries first.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013
            On Monday, February 4, 2013, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:

            Ok...well I guess I will stick with ACLog running under Wine. V1.13 installed fine there as before. I was thinking of trying a Linux based logging program again, but don't have the heart to build from source. If it aint broke...

            ./configure ; make ; make install

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013
              At 09:53 PM 2/4/2013, Peter Laws wrote:

              >On Monday, February 4, 2013, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:
              >

              >Ok...well I guess I will stick with ACLog running under Wine. V1.13
              >installed fine there as before. I was thinking of trying a Linux based
              >logging program again, but don't have the heart to build from source.
              >If it aint broke...
              >

              >./configure ; make ; make install

              If it was only that easy. :)

              You need several development packages installed first. OpenSSL,
              wxWidgets, zlib, expat all come to mind. Then when you find that your
              OS doesn't have a current wxWidgets development package, then you need
              to download that first and build it. Then you'll find OTHER
              dependencies missing. That's why it's called "dependency hell".
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 4, 2013
                On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU
                <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:
                > At 09:53 PM 2/4/2013, Peter Laws wrote:

                >>./configure ; make ; make install
                >
                > If it was only that easy. :)
                >
                > You need several development packages installed first. OpenSSL,
                > wxWidgets, zlib, expat all come to mind. Then when you find that your
                > OS doesn't have a current wxWidgets development package, then you need
                > to download that first and build it. Then you'll find OTHER
                > dependencies missing. That's why it's called "dependency hell".

                It's not like he's trying to build it on Solaris 2.6! :-)

                Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is going to have most of those, though maybe not the
                wxWidgets and that's probably in the repo ...

              • ki7mt
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 18, 2013
                  This is not that difficult, the dep's are few actually.

                  Install apt-file:

                  sudo apt-get install apt-file

                  then update it

                  sudo apt-file update

                  If you hit a snag on the build, simply search for the missing package:

                  apt-file search missing-package-name

                  then install it.

                  apt-file How-Too Information: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm

                  I read somewhere the main deps are zlib and open-ssh, which take two seconds to install. I'm finishing a laptop build with 12.04 right now, and will be adding TreustedQSL to it. I'll stop back by and list out any specific packages that I needed which were not part of the base build.

                  73's Greg, KI7MT

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 18, 2013
                    At 12:53 PM 4/18/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                    >This is not that difficult, the dep's are few actually.
                    >
                    >Install apt-file:
                    >
                    >sudo apt-get install apt-file
                    >
                    >then update it
                    >
                    >sudo apt-file update
                    >
                    >If you hit a snag on the build, simply search for the missing package:
                    >
                    >apt-file search missing-package-name
                    >
                    >then install it.
                    >
                    >apt-file How-Too Information:
                    ><http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm>http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm
                    >
                    >I read somewhere the main deps are zlib and open-ssh, which take two
                    >seconds to install. I'm finishing a laptop build with 12.04 right now,
                    >and will be adding TreustedQSL to it. I'll stop back by and list out
                    >any specific packages that I needed which were not part of the base build.

                    That's true. A couple of weeks ago I installed the source on my
                    Raspberry Pi and got it to build with just a few extra package install
                    commands.

                    If I remember right, I just installed cmake along with the openssl,
                    zlib, expat, db4 and curl development packages.
                    Then it was just "cmake ." and "make". Done.
                  • ki7mt
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 18, 2013
                      On Ubuntu, with fresh install, I installed build-essentials for general compiling.

                      Another method, since TrustedQSL is in the repositories, I ran build-dep:

                      sudo apt-get build-dep trustedqsl

                      Results:
                      libtqsllib1
                      libwxbase2.8-0
                      libwxbase2.8-dev
                      libwxgtk2.8-0
                      libwxgtk2.8-dev
                      tqsllib-dev
                      wx-common
                      wx2.8-headers

                      From ARRL tqsllib INSTALL documentation:
                      OpenSSL
                      expat
                      zlib

                      From ARRL TrustedQSL INSTALL documentation:
                      tqsllibs
                      wxWindows
                      wxWidgets

                      So,

                      sudo apt-get install libtqsllib1 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-dev \
                      libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev tqsllib-dev wx-common wx2.8-header \
                      expat zlib OpenSSL

                      That should get you close to where you need to be. Notice, there's a tqsllib-dev package in the repositories, but I'm no certain if it's up to the same rev as the tqslib.gz file, so you may opt to install that first, then the rest of the packages with apt-get.

                      73's Greg, KI7MT

                      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

                      > At 12:53 PM 4/18/2013, ki7mt wrote:
                      > >

                      > >This is not that difficult, the dep's are few actually.
                      > >
                      > >Install apt-file:
                      > >
                      > >sudo apt-get install apt-file
                      > >
                      > >then update it
                      > >
                      > >sudo apt-file update
                      > >
                      > >If you hit a snag on the build, simply search for the missing package:
                      > >
                      > >apt-file search missing-package-name
                      > >
                      > >then install it.
                      > >
                      > >apt-file How-Too Information:
                      > ><http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm>http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm
                      > >
                      > >I read somewhere the main deps are zlib and open-ssh, which take two
                      > >seconds to install. I'm finishing a laptop build with 12.04 right now,
                      > >and will be adding TreustedQSL to it. I'll stop back by and list out
                      > >any specific packages that I needed which were not part of the base build.
                      >
                      > That's true. A couple of weeks ago I installed the source on my
                      > Raspberry Pi and got it to build with just a few extra package install
                      > commands.
                      >
                      > If I remember right, I just installed cmake along with the openssl,
                      > zlib, expat, db4 and curl development packages.
                      > Then it was just "cmake ." and "make". Done.
                      > 73,
                      > -Rick

                    • ki7mt
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                        I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2

                        expat and zlib both installed

                        Configure:
                        ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib

                        -------------
                        checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found

                        OpenSSL not found
                        Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
                        -------------

                        Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:

                        /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a

                        I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on UB-12.xx before?

                        73's Greg, KI7MT

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                          At 04:03 AM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                          >I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2
                          >
                          >expat and zlib both installed
                          >
                          >Configure:
                          >./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
                          >--with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib

                          I'd start with 1.14 rather than 1.13. It's a lot easier to "assist"
                          cmake with finding things in odd places. However, what you're doing
                          with the "--with-openssl" switch won't work.

                          >-------------
                          >checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found
                          >
                          >OpenSSL not found
                          >Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
                          >-------------
                          >
                          >Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:
                          >
                          >/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a

                          That's a deliberate decision made by Ubuntu to move libraries out of
                          where they belong (/usr/lib) so you can have multiple architectures on
                          one system (allowing you to cross-compile, I guess).

                          That breaks the configure script because it's not aware of that. One
                          easy fix is to symlink the library to /usr/lib:
                          $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a /usr/lib/libcrypto.a

                          The configure script expects the prefix you provide (--with-zlib, for
                          example) to point to a directory with the distribution of openssl, with
                          subdirectories "/lib" for libraries and "/include" for header files.
                          The same is true for zlib and expat, by the way.

                          >I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on
                          >UB-12.xx before?

                          This change was implemented in Ubuntu 11.04.
                          <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

                          Basically, you need to drop the "--with" switches and link the library
                          files into /usr/lib. Ugly, I know.
                        • Doug Smith
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                            ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                            > 3d. Re: tqsl 1.13 for Ubuntu?
                            > Posted by: "ki7mt" ki7mt@... ki7mt
                            > Date: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 am ((PDT))
                            >
                            > I've hit a wall on this one, at the configure stage on tqsllib-2.2
                            >
                            > expat and zlib both installed
                            >
                            > Configure:
                            > ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-expat=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/lib
                            >
                            > -------------
                            > checking for OpenSSL library (libcrypto.a)... Not found
                            >
                            > OpenSSL not found
                            > Use --with-openssl option to fix this problem
                            > -------------
                            >
                            > Yet, it's there, as I installed libssl-dev:
                            >
                            > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a
                            >
                            > I'm wondering if this is a version issue? Anyone run into this here on UB-12.xx before?

                            I have, on Ubuntu 8.04. (yep, it's old. Don't have the time to upgrade right now..)

                            Same symptoms: it insists OpenSSL doesn't exist, but it does. Using --with-openssl to point at the correct directory doesn't help. Synaptic swears I
                            have the current version of OpenSSL.

                            (I was betting you were right -- it's a version issue, that I have the newest version that works with 8.04 but TQSL requires something newer -- but if
                            you're having the same problem with a 12.x version of the OS?)

                            --

                            Doug Smith W9WI
                            Pleasant View, TN EM66
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                              Hi Rick,

                              Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they should be, to a place they should not.

                              The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this ironed out.

                              I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from source first.

                              Hi Doug,

                              I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

                              73's Greg, KI7MT
                            • Robert KC2YWE

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 19, 2013
                                  At 02:38 PM 4/19/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                                  >Hi Rick,
                                  >
                                  >Yes, that it ugly. We should not have to link the libs from where they
                                  >should be, to a place they should not.

                                  Well, what you're asking for is for an old piece of software that was
                                  designed many years before the Debian folks decided to move things
                                  around should magically be brought up to date. That means that you
                                  either need to run a more recent version of the software, or work
                                  around the problem. IMHO, this was a dumb decision on Debian's part,
                                  but that's why I never run Debian: I don't like gratituous
                                  incompatibilities.

                                  If the 1.14 beta releases have the same problem, I would be surprised
                                  since the distribution should have updated cmake to look in the right
                                  places. That's what you should be working with.

                                  >The Deb/UB tqsllib maintainer got in touch with me so we'll get this
                                  >ironed out.
                                  >
                                  >I've gotten allot of suggestions to simply use the package from the UB
                                  >SW center, and yes, I know that would be the simple solution, but I'm
                                  >working on a larger project that leverages checkinstall for managing
                                  >source file installation, and need a sane method of compiling from
                                  >source first.
                                  >
                                  >Hi Doug,
                                  >
                                  >I don't know how far back the problem goes with respect to UB
                                  >versions, but somewhere along the line a decision was made at UB, for
                                  >whatever reason, to deviate from standard locations. That being the
                                  >case, the problem then becomes that of the ./configure file / script
                                  >to deal with these deviations. I'm hopeful we can get the ./configure
                                  >script to manage this deviation and not have to rely on manual linking
                                  >of libs, as that only causes problems down the road, but we'll have to
                                  >wait and see.

                                  Don't ask anyone to waste time on the configure script. It's dead. Use
                                  cmake and 1.14 source.
                                • ki7mt
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                                    Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.

                                    I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                                    The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.

                                    Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                                    Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.

                                    dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc

                                    dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc

                                    73's Greg, KI7MT
                                  • w8jmf
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                                      Greg,

                                      The ß code seems pretty stable, at least on Windoze.

                                      http://www.arrl.org/trustedqsl-beta-release

                                      If you put tqsl beta in the search window on the ARRL site this link also will be found.

                                      73, John

                                      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "ki7mt" <ki7mt@...> wrote:

                                      > Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                                      >
                                      > I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?
                                      >
                                      > The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                                      >

                                      > Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?
                                      >

                                      > Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here if you want it.
                                      >
                                      > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trustedqsl/trustedqsl_1.13-3.dsc
                                      >
                                      > dget -u http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tqsllib/tqsllib_2.2-5.dsc
                                      >

                                      > 73's Greg, KI7MT

                                    • ki7mt
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                                        Thanks John.

                                        73's Greg, KI7MT

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 20, 2013
                                          At 03:33 AM 4/20/2013, ki7mt wrote:

                                          >Got the answers I needed, there's a series of patches made, one of
                                          >which is to allow / trust autoconf to find and use openssl, zlib and
                                          >expat which fixed tqsllib ./configure v.s. hard coding the Lib paths.
                                          >
                                          >I thought 1.14 was Beta still, is that not true ?

                                          Yup, it's still a beta. Close to release (as you probably saw).

                                          >The reason I went down this path was, 1.13 and 2.2 were on the ARRL
                                          >website, so that's what I downloaded, and proceeded to work on.
                                          >
                                          >Where are the source files for the newer tqsl and trustedqsl?

                                          You've already gotten pointed to the repository (thanks, John).

                                          >Patched sources for tqsllib2.2 and trustedqsl1.13 can be obtained here
                                          >if you want it.

                                          I'll grab a copy and make sure the relevant updates make it to our
                                          source code.
                                          I did pull the Debian fixes several months ago and inserted their
                                          changes, so I suspect they're already incorporated.