Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Worked all Continents confusion

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
      At 06:06 PM 2/3/2013, Richard Solomon wrote:

      >Enquiring minds need to know ... since there is a total of 401 countries,
      >including deletes, why are there Country Codes numbered in the high 400's
      >and low 500's ??
      >
      >Was there some reason behind the numbering system ??

      Early on, there were some gaps - 73 isn't used, for example.
      Once they got to assigning 309 to "Myanmar" (Burma), there appeared to
      be a rule to skip two codes whenever one was added.
      Myanmar is 309, then 310 and 311 are unused. 312 Cambodia, 313 and 314
      unused.

      Then they skipped only one after DPRK.
      Then Kuwait (348), skipped 5 until 354 (Lebanon). The next one is
      Mongolia at 363. At that point, the gaps aren't very consistent. Skips
      of one in the mid 400s, but not always. Starting from 501
      (Bosnia-Herzegovina) there's no longer any gaps.

      I can't think of any reason to leave gaps in the first place, but I'm
      sure there's a reason.
    • Dave Cole
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
        How did they take payment? I asked about Paypal, and the said no...
        --
        73's and Thanks,
        Dave

        On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 00:24 +0000, Pete Theer wrote:

        > I used contacts I already had applied DXCC for thru LOTW and it was
        > approved. I sent the list by eMail. I got my WAC certificates
        > ("Mixed" and "Phone" yesterday. Email "bmoore@..." The Awards
        > coordinator.
        >
        > Pete K5PRT
        >
        > When the people fear their government, there is TYRANNY.
        > When the government fears the people, there is LIBERTY.
        > - Thomas Jefferson.
        >
        > Pete Theer K5PRT
        > Kempner, Texas
        > ex: WA2YDG, WB5RPU
        > Reply to: K5PRT@...
        > or: K5PRT@...
        > Please visit my website: http://www.k5prt.com
        > Licensed since 1961
        > ARRL & AMSAT Life Member
        > 10-X Life Member #13678
        > FISTS# 13919, SKCC# 4695
        > NAQCC# 3129, SWOT #294
        > SMIRK # 6930
        >
        > on Feb 03, 2013, Amir Findling <sarlabs@...> wrote:

        > Regarding the cash cow, it is a good business decision.
        > Supports the system, which is free until you decide to apply
        > for the wallpaper.
        >

        > --
        >

        > 73 de Amir K9CHP
        >
        > Member ARRL, VE (ARRL and W5YI), WAC, WAS, DXCC
        >
        > www.k9chp.net http://k9chp.blogspot.com
        >
        > Liverpool Amateur Repeater Club www.W2CM.org
        >
        > Eagle Valley Search Dogs www.evdogs.org
        >

        > On Jan 27, 2013 6:21 PM, "Tim" <timshoppa@...> wrote:

        > Maybe it's time for a phone call to the award desk.
        > The ARRL web page says about WAC: "QSO confirmations
        > in ARRLs LogBook of The World (LoTW) system cannot be
        > used for WAC confirmation."
        >

        > Yet at the same time it says: "Applicants who use the
        > confirmed QSOs in the DXCC computer system may
        > complete the application form and send it to the WAC
        > desk by regular mail."
        >

        > The vast majority of my confirmations in the "DXCC
        > computer system" are in fact from LOTW (just a handful
        > of paper ones.) Maybe they are "tainted" for WAC
        > purposes and don't count for it after all.
        >

        > It'd be way cool (hint hint, nudge nudge) if they
        > linked up WAZ with LOTW too. Way more useful than WPX
        > (which they must've turned on just because it's a cash
        > cow... to get all the WPX awards I'm eligible for
        > through LOTW would cost north of $240 just in LOTW
        > fees!)
        >

        > Tim N3QE

      • Pete Theer
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
          I included my Debit Card Number.  They will probably also accept credit cards.  Include the card #, Expiration date and Security code on the back (last 3 numbers).

          on Feb 04, 2013, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:
          How did they take payment? I asked about Paypal, and the said no...
          --
          73's and Thanks,
          Dave
          http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more...

          On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 00:24 +0000, Pete Theer wrote:

          > I used contacts I already had applied DXCC for thru LOTW and it was
          > approved. I sent the list by eMail. I got my WAC certificates
          > ("Mixed" and "Phone" yesterday. Email "bmoore@..." The Awards
          > coordinator.
          >
          > Pete K5PRT
          >
          > When the people fear their government, there is TYRANNY.
          > When the government fears the people, there is LIBERTY.
          > - Thomas Jefferson.
          >
          > Pete Theer K5PRT
          > Kempner, Texas
          > ex: WA2YDG, WB5RPU
          > Reply to: K5PRT@...
          > or: K5PRT@...
          > Please visit my website: http://www.k5prt.com
          > Licensed since 1961
          > ARRL & AMSAT Life Member
          > 10-X Life Member #13678
          > FISTS# 13919, SKCC# 4695
          > NAQCC# 3129, SWOT #294
          > SMIRK # 6930
          >
          > on Feb 03, 2013, Amir Findling <sarlabs@...> wrote:

          > Regarding the cash cow, it is a good business decision.
          > Supports the system, which is free until you decide to apply
          > for the wallpaper.
          >

          > --
          >

          > 73 de Amir K9CHP
          >
          > Member ARRL, VE (ARRL and W5YI), WAC, WAS, DXCC
          >
          > www.k9chp.net http://k9chp.blogspot.com
          >
          > Liverpool Amateur Repeater Club www.W2CM.org
          >
          > Eagle Valley Search Dogs www.evdogs.org
          >

          > On Jan 27, 2013 6:21 PM, "Tim" <timshoppa@...> wrote:

          > Maybe it's time for a phone call to the award desk.
          > The ARRL web page says about WAC: "QSO confirmations
          > in ARRLs LogBook of The World (LoTW) system cannot be
          > used for WAC confirmation."
          >

          > Yet at the same time it says: "Applicants who use the
          > confirmed QSOs in the DXCC computer system may
          > complete the application form and send it to the WAC
          > desk by regular mail."
          >

          > The vast majority of my confirmations in the "DXCC
          > computer system" are in fact from LOTW (just a handful
          > of paper ones.) Maybe they are "tainted" for WAC
          > purposes and don't count for it after all.
          >

          > It'd be way cool (hint hint, nudge nudge) if they
          > linked up WAZ with LOTW too. Way more useful than WPX
          > (which they must've turned on just because it's a cash
          > cow... to get all the WPX awards I'm eligible for
          > through LOTW would cost north of $240 just in LOTW
          > fees!)
          >

          > Tim N3QE

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional