Lotw fees

  • Phil Irons
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
      First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member.  Having said that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:

      If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20 M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M.  However, when it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for?  40 QSLs?  100 QSLs?  If the latter, why?  According to the Awards page on the LOTW site, I already have credit for 60 entities.  Why do I have to pay for them again?

      I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what the 'official' word is...

      73,

      Phil/VE1BVD

      --
      Phil & Anne Irons
      Sydney, Nova Scotia
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
        On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Phil Irons <ve1bvd@...> wrote:

        > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
        >
        > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20 M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100 QSLs? If the latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW site, I already have credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for them again?
        >
        > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what the 'official' word is...

        For the "official" word, you'd have to ask ARRL HQ.

        If you need 40 more QSLs for a particular DXCC award and you claim
        them via LOTW, there would be a per-QSO LOTW fee, plus the fee for the
        20-meter DXCC.

        You said "endorsement" - DXCC is not like WAS, there are no
        "endorsements", there are five mode awards (Mixed, Phone, CW, Digital
        [formerly RTTY], Satellite) and 11 band awards.

      • Charles Gallo

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
            You will have to apply for a separate DXCC certificate for single band, 20 meters.
            You can request endorsement stickers to go on your DXCC certificates as you accrue more countries. They look great on the certificate !

            Good luck!

            73,
            Bob
            K6UJ

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
              > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on
              > 20 M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I
              > [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M.

              You don't receive a "20M Endorsement" on the basic DXCC. You apply for
              a new 20M DXCC.

              > However, when it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for?
              > 40 QSLs? 100 QSLs?

              You pay for the new 20 Meter award - cost will be Application fee
              ($5.00 via LotW) Certificate fee ($12.00 + mailing charges), and
              fees per additional QSL (40 "Award Credits" in this case at $0.12
              each).

              My numbers may be off - I'm running from memory - but the "answer" is
              there are no "band endorsements" on a basic DXCC. Each band is a new
              award. Anyone pays for the award (Certificate) plus "Award Credit"
              (per QSO) fees.

              On 1/14/2013 3:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
              > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said that,
              > here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
              >
              > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20 M,
              > If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I [obviously]
              > have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when it comes to pay
              > for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100 QSLs? If the
              > latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW site, I already have
              > credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for them again?
              >
              > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what the
              > 'official' word is...
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Phil/VE1BVD

            • Bill Kasper
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                Hi All,

                I think there is some confusion about the word 'credit' as used here:

                1.) You are 'credited' with having worked/confirmed 60 entities.

                2.) When you apply for an award you have to pay for it with
                a 'credit' card or some-such. The payment includes such
                things as per LoTW entry, the award itself, the card
                checking, and if you walk into Newington CT, a walk-in
                fee.

                hope this helps
                73 de Bill WB2SXY

                -----end------

                On 1/14/2013 3:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
                > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said that,
                > here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
                >
                > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20 M,
                > If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I [obviously]
                > have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when it comes to pay
                > for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100 QSLs? If the
                > latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW site, I already have
                > credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for them again?
                >
                > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what the
                > 'official' word is...
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Phil/VE1BVD

                -----
                No virus found in this message.
              • Richard Solomon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                  Unless they changed it, you get a 20 Meter DXCC certificate for $??. Then you are
                  listed is the 20 Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                  lists (if they all apply).

                  I remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                  numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could get an answer why.

                  73, Dick, W1KSZ

                  On 1/14/2013 1:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:

                  First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member.  Having said that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:

                  If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20 M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M.  However, when it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for?  40 QSLs?  100 QSLs?  If the latter, why?  According to the Awards page on the LOTW site, I already have credit for 60 entities.  Why do I have to pay for them again?

                  I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what the 'official' word is...

                  73,

                  Phil/VE1BVD

                  --
                  Phil & Anne Irons
                  Sydney, Nova Scotia

                • w8jmf
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                    That's funny. My 20M certificate is numbered, but not my 15M one.

                    --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon wrote:

                    > Unless they changed it, you get a 20 Meter DXCC certificate for $??.
                    > Then you are
                    > listed is the 20 Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the
                    > Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                    > lists (if they all apply).
                    >
                    > I remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                    > numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could get
                    > an answer why.
                    >
                    > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                    >

                    > On 1/14/2013 1:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
                    > > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said
                    > > that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
                    > >
                    > > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20
                    > > M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I
                    > > [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when
                    > > it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100
                    > > QSLs? If the latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW
                    > > site, I already have credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for
                    > > them again?
                    > >
                    > > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what
                    > > the 'official' word is...
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > >
                    > > Phil/VE1BVD
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Phil & Anne Irons
                    > > Sydney, Nova Scotia

                  • VE6LB
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013

                      Gerry VE6LB

                      --- In mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon wrote:

                      > Unless they changed it, you get a 20
                      Meter DXCC certificate for $??.
                      > Then you are
                      > listed is the 20
                      Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the

                      Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                      > lists (if they all apply).

                      remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                      > numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could
                      get
                      > an answer why.
                      >
                      > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                      >

                      > On 1/14/2013 1:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
                      > > First of all, let
                      me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said
                      > > that, here's a
                      question that's been nagging at me for some time:

                      > > If I
                      have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20

                      M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I

                      [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when
                      > > it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100
                      > > QSLs? If the latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW
                      > > site, I already have credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay
                      for
                      > > them again?
                      > >
                      > > I don't mean to set off
                      a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what
                      > > the 'official' word
                      is...

                      > > 73,

                      Phil/VE1BVD

                      > > --
                      > > Phil & Anne
                      Irons
                      > > Sydney, Nova Scotia

                    • Mike Flowers
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Very curious.  My 20M certificate does not have a serial number, neither does my 15M but the 10M has one.

                        I asked the LoTW help desk why that was, but received no reply.

                        My Mixed, Phone, CW and Digital DXCC certificates all have serial numbers.

                        Printing error?

                        -- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "We do DX!"

                        On Jan 14, 2013, at 3:30 PM, "w8jmf" <w8jmf@...> wrote:

                        That's funny. My 20M certificate is numbered, but not my 15M one.

                        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon wrote:

                        > Unless they changed it, you get a 20 Meter DXCC certificate for $??.
                        > Then you are
                        > listed is the 20 Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the
                        > Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                        > lists (if they all apply).
                        >
                        > I remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                        > numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could get
                        > an answer why.
                        >
                        > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                        >

                        > On 1/14/2013 1:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
                        > > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said
                        > > that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
                        > >
                        > > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20
                        > > M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I
                        > > [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when
                        > > it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100
                        > > QSLs? If the latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW
                        > > site, I already have credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for
                        > > them again?
                        > >
                        > > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what
                        > > the 'official' word is...
                        > >
                        > > 73,
                        > >
                        > > Phil/VE1BVD
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Phil & Anne Irons
                        > > Sydney, Nova Scotia

                      • w8jmf
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                          Mike,

                          I never asked, but I assumed it was just a setup error. I wasn't too concerned about it. I'm glad my 40M and 10M certs were numbered, I like those bands most for DX, not that 15M isn't fun.

                          73 de KT8D (80M soon).

                          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Mike Flowers wrote:

                          > Very curious. My 20M certificate does not have a serial number, neither does my 15M but the 10M has one.
                          >
                          > I asked the LoTW help desk why that was, but received no reply.
                          >
                          > My Mixed, Phone, CW and Digital DXCC certificates all have serial numbers.
                          >
                          > Printing error?
                          >
                          > -- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "We do DX!"
                          >
                          > On Jan 14, 2013, at 3:30 PM, "w8jmf" wrote:
                          >
                          > > That's funny. My 20M certificate is numbered, but not my 15M one.
                          > >
                          > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Unless they changed it, you get a 20 Meter DXCC certificate for $??.
                          > > > Then you are
                          > > > listed is the 20 Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the
                          > > > Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                          > > > lists (if they all apply).
                          > > >
                          > > > I remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                          > > > numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could get
                          > > > an answer why.
                          > > >
                          > > > 73, Dick, W1KSZ

                        • Richard Solomon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                            My 20 Meter Certificate is dated January 7, 2000 and is not numbered.
                            Maybe they started after that. I drove down to Newington the first day
                            the 20 Meter Cert was available, only to find out they would not be
                            numbered.
                            My 80, 40 & 10 Meter Certs are all numbered below 100.

                            73, Dick, W1KSZ

                            On 1/14/2013 4:30 PM, w8jmf wrote:

                            That's funny. My 20M certificate is numbered, but not my 15M one.

                            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Richard Solomon wrote:

                            > Unless they changed it, you get a 20 Meter DXCC certificate for $??.
                            > Then you are
                            > listed is the 20 Meter section of the DXCC list as well as the
                            > Mixed/SSB/CW/Digital
                            > lists (if they all apply).
                            >
                            > I remember when they announced the separate certificates for the Bands. The
                            > numbered the 80, 40 and 10 Certificates, but not the 20. Never could get
                            > an answer why.
                            >
                            > 73, Dick, W1KSZ
                            >

                            > On 1/14/2013 1:39 PM, Phil Irons wrote:
                            > > First of all, let me say that I am NOT an ARRL member. Having said
                            > > that, here's a question that's been nagging at me for some time:
                            > >
                            > > If I have a Mixed DXCC certificate, with let's say 60 mixed QSLs on 20
                            > > M, If I want to obtain a 20M endorsement for that certificate, I
                            > > [obviously] have to confirm another 40 entities on 20M. However, when
                            > > it comes to pay for the endorsement, what do I pay for? 40 QSLs? 100
                            > > QSLs? If the latter, why? According to the Awards page on the LOTW
                            > > site, I already have credit for 60 entities. Why do I have to pay for
                            > > them again?
                            > >
                            > > I don't mean to set off a fire storm here; I'd just like to know what
                            > > the 'official' word is...
                            > >
                            > > 73,
                            > >
                            > > Phil/VE1BVD
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > Phil & Anne Irons
                            > > Sydney, Nova Scotia

                          • THOMAS WYLIE
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
                              Make up your claim form but don't press the submit button and lots will tell you what exactly you have to pay and it sets it out for you

                              Gm4fdm