RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Duplicate Wars

    Message 1 of 167 , Jan 2, 2013
    >>>AA6YQ comments below

    From: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
    Of David Levine
    Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:52 PM
    To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Duplicate Wars

    I can't tell what the tQSL default is without reinstalling which maybe I'll
    do on a different computer, but I provided Dave with a request to make the
    default to check that the date range prompt be on by default and show the
    earliest and latest date in dataset that was being processed. My tQSL date
    prompt option was unchecked and I don't recall if that was the default or I
    unchecked it. AA6YQ and I had some additional back and forth on it but what
    makes sense will be based on what other changes get included in the first
    go-around as some options under consideration would override the current
    date prompting behavior.

    The date range need only be displayed to the user when TQSL's analysis of
    the file to be signed and uploaded indicates that the file may contain
    duplicate QSOs.
    Message 167 of 167 , Jan 5, 2013

      Unless TQSL is extended to detect exact duplicates, it would not have the ability to directly inform the user that a file they wish to upload contains more than X duplicates.

      Assuming that improvements along the lines of those suggested below are implemented, the user who submits excessive duplicates would receive an email message from the LotW Server informing them that their submitted file contains too many duplicates, that this file will be processed at low priority, and that they should review <www.arrl.org/lotw/NoMoreDupes.org> to prevent this from happening again.

      A user who uploads a file with too many duplicates but does not supply a valid email message would not automatically receive this notification and feedback. ARRL management would have to find other means of contacting such users, perhaps by posting a message on each user’s LotW web page. There are several other ways to gain the attention of such users, should LotW management wish to do so.