[ARRL-LOTW] Survey

  • Carl Smidt
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
      Put me in # 4 also.

      73, Carl VE9OV

      ----- Original Message -----

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004

        I'd be a number 4.

        I'm reasonably computer literate so it wasn't difficult but I have had to help several other locals install and use LoTW. They would have been a 1 or 2 without the help.

        My main (and have repeated this several times) issue with LoTW is the lack of participation be stations outside of North America and DXpeditions. 7,000 users out of a global total of 2.6 million amateur licences is pretty light. Yes, they are not all active DXers or even active at all but even at a 10% activity level, LoTW participation is still only 2.7%.

        In my humble opinion the ARRL (with our help) need to promote this product more, make it easier to install, maintain and use plus find ways to encourage (equals support) DXpeditions to put their logs up in a timely fashion.

        Gerry,

        VE6LB/VA6XDX
        (403)251-0384
        ve6lb@...
        http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
          To all of you that responded. I have sent your
          ratings on to the division director. Now it is a
          matter of sitting back and see what they are doing
          with the compiled information.

          Thank you

          Randy
          AG8A

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Carl Smidt
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
            Put me in # 4 also.

            73, Carl VE9OV

            >> Comment: LoTW is a great idea, but it seems to me that there's so
            >> much
            >> effort at being "secure" that
            >> it's been made "a real pain". Why not issue a code number and just
            >> let
            >> people enter that (like a
            >> credit card #) to ID themselves? I use the DXLab suite of logging
            >> programs
            >> (DXKeeper) and I can
            >> upload to e-QSL with one keystroke. If I could do LoTW that easily,
            >> I'd
            >> definitely use LoTW.
            >>
            >> 73, Jerry K3BZ

          • Dave-GVK
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
              I do believe it's the ARRL doing the survey...NOT this user group......You
              might best use you time to email your section manager, NOT this site!!!!!!!!

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
                Dave,

                Thanks for the response, but please note that I did
                state that, in the orginal post and I quote:

                I receive an e-mail letter from our ARRL Great Lakes
                >>> Division director on occasion and the following
                was in
                >>> todays e-mail. I will be reponding to him but
                wonder
                >>> if any others in different divisions are getting
                this?

                The main reason I posted this was that you don't just
                have to be an ARRL member to use LOTW for uploads and
                not knowing who on the list, is, I thought I would
                pose the question and forward the reponses by the
                number that was returned to me. Thanks again.

                Randy
                AG8A

                === message truncated ===

                http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
              • Pete Smith
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
                  At this point, we don't even know if it is the ARRL, or maybe just one
                  Director. I don't recall anyone else reporting receiving such a survey --
                  certainly I have not. I think it was a good idea to give him a sampling of
                  opinion to pass on to the asker.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                • Ted Demopoulos, KT1V
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2004
                    I think this is just one director.

                    I believe the ARRL conducts their surveys through specialized survey companies that among other things do various mathematical analyzes to ensure they deliver statistically accurate result.

                    73
                    Ted KT1VAt 04:29 PM 12/9/2004, you wrote:
                    At this point, we don't even know if it is the ARRL, or maybe just one
                    Director.  I don't recall anyone else reporting receiving such a survey --
                    certainly I have not.  I think it was a good idea to give him a sampling of
                    opinion to pass on to the asker.

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    At 02:30 PM 12/9/2004, Dave-GVK wrote:

                    >I do believe it's the ARRL doing the survey...NOT this user group......You
                    >might best use you time to email your section manager, NOT this site!!!!!!!!

                    Ted Demopoulos
                    Demopoulos Associates, www.demop.com
                    Aligning Information Technology with Business Objectives.

                  • c22yacht
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 10, 2004
                      I am definately in Category 0.

                      I have tried for months to get it to work - to no avail. I have
                      e-mailed ARRL and support about this, and they offer to help me over
                      the phone, but I'm not home during working hours so I'm stuck.

                      I'm an IT guy, and find this program just too difficult to set up.
                      I've spent hours to date. Hours I would have rather spent operating.

                      Bob Dianetti KT8DX

                      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Smidt" <xveoneov@s...> wrote:

                      > Put me in # 4 also.
                      >
                      > 73, Carl VE9OV

                    • JV
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 10, 2004
                        Hi Bob
                            Can't you find someone in your area that is using LoTW? Once you receive your certificiate, it only takes a few minutes to convert a contest, QSOs, etc to an ADIF file and submit to the AARL. Once you join, you will probably find that you have a big bunch of QSLs just waiting for you on LoTW.
                        GL
                        JV

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 10, 2004
                          Randy, et. al,

                          Tnx for the input. Just to set the record straight, the survey Randy
                          mentioned is being done by me. I use such periodic surveys to help
                          me understand the thinking and mood of the Great Lakes Division
                          members. I also listen to non-members, but it is the members who
                          elect me and who support ARRL. Therefore, my obligation to non-
                          members ends at the point at which I do not consider their input
                          useful to protecting and enhancing Amateur Radio.

                          Frankly, there would be no Amateur Radio without a strong national
                          organization to fight for the welfare of Amateur Radio. Therefore, I
                          feel a personal obligation to the members and to the members, only.
                          If anyone takes issue with this, just stop and think a minute. Would
                          you expect the Masonic Order or the Knights of Columbus, for example,
                          would listen to someone who does not belong to their organization?
                          And, moreover, why should they.

                          Join and be counted. Join and add your support to the only
                          organization in this country that has the interest and capability to
                          represent Amateur Radio before the FCC, the US Congress and the
                          several State and Local organizations. Join and have your opinions
                          receive serious consideration. This is a democratic organization
                          that ultimately is subject to the will of its members.

                          'Nuf said. 73,

                          Jim, K8JE
                          Director, Great Lakes Division, ARRL
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 11, 2004
                            At 10:11 AM 12/10/2004, c22yacht wrote:

                            >I am definately in Category 0.
                            >
                            >I have tried for months to get it to work - to no avail. I have
                            >e-mailed ARRL and support about this, and they offer to help me over
                            >the phone, but I'm not home during working hours so I'm stuck.
                            >
                            >I'm an IT guy, and find this program just too difficult to set up.
                            >I've spent hours to date. Hours I would have rather spent operating.

                            Bob,
                            If you're having problems, feel free to send me an e-mail - I'll be
                            happy to help you work through the problems you're having if I can.
                            Also, there's certainly other people on this list that can help you
                            work through whatever problems you're having.
                            -Rick
                          • Vladimir V. Sidorov
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 11, 2004
                              Bob,
                              There is only one underwater stone in setting up of the LoTW. If for
                              whatever reason you once failed to install the certificate on your machine,
                              before preparing of a new cert request you have to clean up your harddrive
                              from all previous .tq5, tq6 files. It means, all of them. I even delete all
                              E-Mail messages with these files enclosed, although they are not directly
                              seen by a file manager or whatever. The rest is so straight forward that
                              it's really very difficult to make any mistake.

                              The yours truly is not an IT guy at all (graduated as a mechanical engineer
                              and in business administration), although there was no problem to install
                              the system easily and quickly. Further to that I have published a series of
                              articles in several magazines, mostly Russian speaking ones, on the LoTW
                              setting up and quite a lot of people have successfully installed it and use
                              it following the recommendations. Most of this people are barely speaking
                              English and reading the English interface might be a challenge for them, but
                              the system worked fine even for them.

                              Just try it again from the very beginning (fresh tq5, tq6) and it must work
                              for you.

                              GL and 73,
                              Vladimir EU1SA

                              > I am definately in Category 0.
                              >
                              > I have tried for months to get it to work - to no avail. I have
                              > e-mailed ARRL and support about this, and they offer to help me over
                              > the phone, but I'm not home during working hours so I'm stuck.
                              >
                              > I'm an IT guy, and find this program just too difficult to set up.
                              > I've spent hours to date. Hours I would have rather spent operating.
                              >
                              > Bob Dianetti KT8DX
                              >
                              > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Smidt" <xveoneov@s...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Put me in # 4 also.
                              > >
                              > > 73, Carl VE9OV

                            • Gary Stilwell
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 11, 2004
                                I guess I missed the original on this.  What survey and where can I find it.   KI6T
                              • k8je
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 12, 2004
                                  --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Stilwell" <GARY@r...> wrote:
                                  > I guess I missed the original on this. What survey and where can I
                                  find it. KI6T

                                  Gary,

                                  You didn't miss the survey. I sent it to ARRL members in the Great
                                  Lakes Division, only. It is one in a series of periodic surveys I
                                  take of members in the Division I represent. The purpose of these
                                  surveys is to learn the opinions, suggestions and general attitude of
                                  the Division consituency on a variety of issues.

                                  I do much of my opinion gathering through my monthly (or so) E-mail
                                  newsletters to Division members. Other Directors use a variety of
                                  methods to determine the thinking of members in their respective
                                  Divisions, and this is fine.

                                  Incidentally, in answer to a number of questions and comments placed
                                  on this reflector, LoTW is fully operational and linked to DXCC. It
                                  soon will begin to be promoted throughout the world. Insofar as I am
                                  concerned, Dave Patton, NN1N and Wayne Mills, N7NG and others of our
                                  HQ staff have done great jobs of getting a highly complicated program
                                  operating so well. Look for linkage with other ARRL awards to come
                                  along as time and budget permit.

                                  Does LoTW perfectly? It works extremely well; however, nothing in
                                  this world works perfectly. There even is error in the atomic clock.

                                  73,

                                  Jim, K8JE
                                  Director, Great Lakes Division, ARRL
                                • Winford Barnes
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 13, 2004
                                    I concur with your comments. I have been using LOTW for about a year
                                    now and like it very much. My only suggestions are that it should be
                                    promoted (noted) and WAS applications should be available. That being
                                    said I realize the tremendous amount of work and dedication devoted to
                                    this project. Congratulations to those who are diligently working to
                                    make it happen.
                                    My only hiccups have been self inflicted and with a phone call to HQ I
                                    was able to speak with Wayne and straighten it out in short order.

                                    DE W8XC
                                    On Dec 12, 2004, at 10:33 PM, k8je wrote:

                                    > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Stilwell" <GARY@r...> wrote:
                                    > > I guess I missed the original on this.  What survey and where can I
                                    > find it.   KI6T
                                    >
                                    > Gary,
                                    >
                                    > You didn't miss the survey.  I sent it to ARRL members in the Great
                                    > Lakes Division, only.  It is one in a series of periodic surveys I
                                    > take of members in the Division I represent.  The purpose of these
                                    > surveys is to learn the opinions, suggestions and general attitude of
                                    > the Division consituency on a variety of issues.
                                    >
                                    > I do much of my opinion gathering through my monthly (or so) E-mail
                                    > newsletters to Division members.  Other Directors use a variety of
                                    > methods to determine the thinking of members in their respective
                                    > Divisions, and this is fine.
                                    >
                                    > Incidentally, in answer to a number of questions and comments placed
                                    > on this reflector, LoTW is fully operational and linked to DXCC.  It
                                    > soon will begin to be promoted throughout the world.  Insofar as I am
                                    > concerned, Dave Patton, NN1N and Wayne Mills, N7NG and others of our
                                    > HQ staff have done great jobs of getting a highly complicated program
                                    > operating so well.  Look for linkage with other ARRL awards to come
                                    > along as time and budget permit.
                                    >
                                    > Does LoTW perfectly?  It works extremely well; however, nothing in
                                    > this world works perfectly.  There even is error in the atomic clock.
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    >
                                    > Jim, K8JE
                                    > Director, Great Lakes Division, ARRL
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    > <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif>
                                    > <l.gif>

                                    > Service.

                                  • Gary Stilwell
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 13, 2004
                                      Thanks for the info reply. I have been using LOTW since the beginning and
                                      am quite pleased with it to date. KI6T