DXpedition Support

  • Gerry Hohn
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2004

      One of the impediments for DXpeditions to put their logs onto the LoTW is the potential (and likely) loss of contributions that are included by many with their paper QSL requests. In many cases, these contributions are key to mounting increasingly expensive operations in far away places.

      One would argue that the stations worked would simply mail some funds to these DXpeditions to offset the lost income included with QSL requests. While this might be the intention of many of us, the reality is that many that would have included a few extra dollars with a card simply won't get around to sending a separate contribution. Also the increasing cost of postage discourages one from spending upwards of $2 to send $2 (or a bit more).

      A thought I had was for DXpeditions to establish PayPal (or the like) accounts for contribution. This would reduce the postage overhead and make it easy for people to send contribution when the DXpedition uses the LoTW.

      Just a thought.

      Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
      DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
      (403) 251-0384
      ve6lb@...
      http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

    • bendeschacht@pandora.be
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
        It's my policy that if I have to send some amount of money to an OM to receive his or her card, then I simply don't send a card. When I would go on an expedition/holiday, which most likely will happen within two years, I would use the LoTW, and send regular QSL cards to any one who needs it. Because I would do this all for my own satisfaction, and not to make any profit out of it. If you don't want to pay for your dxpedition, you simply shouldn't go on dxpedition. By the way, loads of QSL printing companies do sponsor DXpeditions. An other cheap alternative is to qsl only through the buro and don't QSL direct anymore. But yes, some people don't have any patience anymore. I don't care if it takes a card 2 years to travel to my club, as long as I coming. It might be a thought to consider to pay for membership to your national club instead of sending direct QSLs with a few dollars. I don't say that people aren't allowed to pay for the QSL card. If they feel sympathy with the operators and do want to support them, hey, let them pay, but it shouldn't be mandatory for a card. I think that is what we are proud to call Ham spirit.

        Since my native language is not english, some sentences may sound hard and pritty straigth forward. It is not my purpose to offend anyone, nor to say I'm the only one who is right, I just want to spread my idea among other users of this group

        73' de ON7BS
        Ben Deschacht

        >One of the impediments for DXpeditions to put their logs onto the LoTW is the potential (and likely) loss of contributions that are included by many with their paper QSL requests. In many cases, these contributions are key to mounting increasingly expensive operations in far away places.
        >
        >One would argue that the stations worked would simply mail some funds to these DXpeditions to offset the lost income included with QSL requests. While this might be the intention of many of us, the reality is that many that would have included a few extra dollars with a card simply won't get around to sending a separate contribution. Also the increasing cost of postage discourages one from spending upwards of $2 to send $2 (or a bit more).
        >
        >A thought I had was for DXpeditions to establish PayPal (or the like) accounts for contribution. This would reduce the postage overhead and make it easy for people to send contribution when the DXpedition uses the LoTW.
        >
        >Just a thought.
        >

        >Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
        >DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
        >(403) 251-0384
        >ve6lb@...
        >http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

      • Jerry Keller
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
          Ben... with all respect, I disagree with you. Without financial support, many DXpeditions simply
          would not happen. The DX Societies and Clubs and Foundations help, but the contributions of
          thousands of DXers worldwide is essential also. It's true that the ops who go to these remote places
          do it "for love", but nobody "makes a profit" on a DXpedition... it's just too costly. (Not to
          mention, sometimes it's also dangerous...some of the guys put their lives on the line!!) And in
          almost all cases, by far the biggest piece of the cost is borne by the ops themselves.

          I have never seen a notice from a DXpedition that money from a DXer is "required" in order to get a
          card. DXers send a buck or two (or five) as a VOLUNTARY gesture to help pay some of the costs, not
          to "buy a card". OK, maybe it's a difference of how you look at it, but how many DXers truly cannot
          afford to send a couple of bucks with a request for a QSL from an exotic island halfway around the
          world? It's not required, merely desired.

          Not only that, but there's hams that live in places like JT or A5 or 5X and many others that can
          probably use some help in upgrading their rigs and antennas, so they can stay on the air and hand
          out QSL's to the rest of us. If we can, we should help, to the best of our individual ability, as a
          gesture of international friendship.

          My two cents.....73, Jerry K3BZ

          > It's my policy that if I have to send some amount of money to an OM to receive his or her card,
          > then I simply don't send a card. When I would go on an expedition/holiday, which most likely will
          > happen within two years, I would use the LoTW, and send regular QSL cards to any one who needs it.
          > Because I would do this all for my own satisfaction, and not to make any profit out of it. If you
          > don't want to pay for your dxpedition, you simply shouldn't go on dxpedition. By the way, loads of
          > QSL printing companies do sponsor DXpeditions. An other cheap alternative is to qsl only through
          > the buro and don't QSL direct anymore. But yes, some people don't have any patience anymore. I
          > don't care if it takes a card 2 years to travel to my club, as long as I coming. It might be a
          > thought to consider to pay for membership to your national club instead of sending direct QSLs
          > with a few dollars. I don't say that people aren't allowed to pay for the QSL card. If they feel
          > sympathy with the op! erators and do want to support them, hey, let them pay, but it shouldn't be
          > mandatory for a card. I think that is what we are proud to call Ham spirit.
          >
          > Since my native language is not english, some sentences may sound hard and pritty straigth
          > forward. It is not my purpose to offend anyone, nor to say I'm the only one who is right, I just
          > want to spread my idea among other users of this group
          >
          > 73' de ON7BS
          > Ben Deschacht
          >>
          >>One of the impediments for DXpeditions to put their logs onto the LoTW is the potential (and
          >>likely) loss of contributions that are included by many with their paper QSL requests. In many
          >>cases, these contributions are key to mounting increasingly expensive operations in far away
          >>places.
          >>
          >>One would argue that the stations worked would simply mail some funds to these DXpeditions to
          >>offset the lost income included with QSL requests. While this might be the intention of many of
          >>us, the reality is that many that would have included a few extra dollars with a card simply won't
          >>get around to sending a separate contribution. Also the increasing cost of postage discourages one
          >>from spending upwards of $2 to send $2 (or a bit more).
          >>
          >>A thought I had was for DXpeditions to establish PayPal (or the like) accounts for contribution.
          >>This would reduce the postage overhead and make it easy for people to send contribution when the
          >>DXpedition uses the LoTW.
          >>
          >>Just a thought.
          >>

          >>Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
          >>DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
          >>(403) 251-0384
          >>ve6lb@...
          >>http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Anthony W. DePrato
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
            Please let me add a word  I am a dxpeditioner and i can assure everyone that i NEVER made any money doing it. my out of pocket cost for VP8SSI  and 3Y0PI was well over $10,000 USD.. as was each of the others they went with me. it was for the LOVE of the hobby and dxing !

            God Bless
            73 Tony

            QBE  ZUT  DE WA4JQS

            ANTHONY W. (Tony) DePrato WA4JQS EXTRA - HEAVY
            Since 1962
            CQ DX HALL OF FAME # 35
            A1-OP      FISTS  # 10573
            South Sandwich Island Dxpedition Group
            CALLS HELD:
            WA4JQS/ZS1, WA4JQS/KC4, WA4JQS/4K1
            ZD8JQS, V31SS,
            VP8BZL, VP8SSI, 3Y0PI

          • bendeschacht@pandora.be
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
              Jerry,

              that's not what I'm trying to explain. I'm just afraid that if we install a PayPal box at the LoTW page, paying can become mandatory before QSL-ing. I myself am working with a simple FD4 Antenna. So here at my home there is also room for improvement. I still young so I thinks this is normal, didn't we all start small. At this moment I have to spend my money in a "better" way. I'm just trying to explain my current situation before someone does install a PayPal box. I can't afford it to pay for QSL. Maybe within 30 years or so, things have been changed. I do support the idea of helping DXpeditioners. but not now.

              I hope you understand my point.

              Kindest Regards,

              Ben ON7BS
            • Jerry Keller
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                I do understand, Ben, I was there once, and now I'm happy if my extra green stamps help the DX to
                send you your card without cost to you. However, there are a lot of people who actually can afford
                to send a couple of bucks but don't... they need to be reminded occasionally that DXpeditions cost
                big money, and the DXpeditioners don't make any profit from the donations.
                73, Jerry K3BZ

                > that's not what I'm trying to explain. I'm just afraid that if we install a PayPal box at the LoTW
                > page, paying can become mandatory before QSL-ing. I myself am working with a simple FD4 Antenna.
                > So here at my home there is also room for improvement. I still young so I thinks this is normal,
                > didn't we all start small. At this moment I have to spend my money in a "better" way. I'm just
                > trying to explain my current situation before someone does install a PayPal box. I can't afford it
                > to pay for QSL. Maybe within 30 years or so, things have been changed. I do support the idea of
                > helping DXpeditioners. but not now.
                >
                > I hope you understand my point.
                >
                > Kindest Regards,
                >
                > Ben ON7BS
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Gerry
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004

                  Ben,

                  My point was to start a discussion on how to encourage more widespread use of LoTW while providing ongoing financial support to major DXpeditions. One way may be PayPal. I'm sure there are others.

                  In no way is one paying for QSLs if sending a donation is voluntary. All an electronic method provide is making it easier for the contributor while not wasting contribution money on postage.

                  Gerry VE6LB
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                    I've been following this thread. Even though I have gotten my YV0D LoTW qsls and already
                    submitted them via LoTW, I still sent in a donation to the group. Mailed long before the
                    logs were uploaded to LoTW.

                    One aspect of a PayPal system is....protection against postal pilfering.
                    I've been the victim of 'non delivered qsl/GS/IRC' etc.
                    A PayPal system would help this situation.

                    In 40 years of dxing, I've never experienced a 'pay for qsl' situation nor would I
                    participate in one.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004

                      Didn't think of the postal theft situation in many countries. I've certainly experienced postal theft of my SAE + GS mailings and was only able to secure some difficult to get countries though email discussions and the kind co-operation of the DX stations/ Managers to send me cards at their expense or having them identify a secure route.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                        Of course this will only help hams/dxpeditioners with net access or credit card accounts.

                        A while back a ham in the Far East set up a Visa account system where you sent him a
                        donation via credit card and he used that to mail back a hard card qsl.
                        Postal theft was the impetus I believe.