Re: LotW Backlog continues to grow ...

  • Murf
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 10, 2012
      this is the date on my last QSO.. 2012-11-24 18:23:00

      guess that is about the same as the rest of the group.
      2 contests in the upload that takes ok. Good luck getting er going.

      Murf
      n7uvh

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

      > LotW backlog:
      >
      > Upload Processed Backlog
      >
      > LotW has now broken *one week* in delay. As of last Friday LotW was
      > receiving 50% more uploads than it was processing each day.
      >
      > Although spot checks of the LotW statistics (increase in the number of
      > QSO records in a timed 10 or 30 second interval) seem to indicate that
      > LotW is processing QSOs at a faster rate - perhaps as many as 3600 Q/hr
      > - the system still appears to be critically overloaded to a degree not
      > resolvable by the simple storage system upgrade ARRL have announced is
      > "coming soon."
      >
      > I do not know what hardware is being used for Logbook but it appears
      > that the system is compute bound and should be completely redesigned
      > for operation on a multi-processor ("blade") server where uploads
      > could be processed in parallel to enter the data into the database
      > as quickly as possible without concern for "matching." Once the input
      > load dropped to a sustainable level, some processors could then switch
      > to QSL matching functions working down the list of "new" entries.
      >
      > --
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > ... Joe, W4TV

    • Kenneth Grimm
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 11, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

        It is certainly a sign of competence and design skills when you realize the LoTW system was deployed on SAN technology 10+ years ago. That was leading edge architecture at the time, and unlikely to be found outside of corporate server farms or large data centers.

        For anyone interested in considerations the regarding the marriage of SANs and Database architecture, here's an article describing the issues facing system designers. It's a pretty decent primer on some basic database design too.

        http://tinyurl.com/7bpmt64

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Thanks for the link, Bob.  Enterprise decisions concerning SSDs are the same as I went through when deciding to use them.  8*)

        Speaking of enterprise...do you know of any studies comparing MTBF for consumer vs enterprise SSDs?

        Ken - K4XL
        BoatAnchor Manual Archive
        BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com