Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: LotW Backlog continues to grow ...

  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 9, 2012
      The trial version of the software I was using to capture the 5 stats from the LoTW dashboard has expired. I was able to collect more than 250 snapshots and transfer them into the LoTW Analysis workbook. The latest workbook version (2012-12-09) is now posted on my website (2-Mb XLS file). The pertinent data will be found on the third worksheet. I also added more data into the first worksheet, the 1-minute snapshots. Here's the link to the file:

      http://tinyurl.com/bxcmub7

      After the new SSD subsystem has been installed I can rerun this analysis. This will reveal the change in performance using 'real numbers' from the user perspective. I must assume the IT staff has more detailed performance statistics available to make a better comparison. It would be great if, as mentioned, a up-to-date technical overview (article) about LoTW were published. But when you're up to your butt in alligators, that can be a difficult task while trying to drain the swamp!

      73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

      Most recent reports show a seven day, 12 hour 40 minute backlog as
      of 2012-12-09 01:10Z for files uploaded 2012-12-01 12:30Z the
      backlog continues to increase at approximately 20 minutes per hour
      (LotW is still only processing between 60 and 80% of the daily
      upload volume).

      LotW's file processing is reportedly strictly FIFO. Since the "lost
      upload" fix was implemented at 2130z on 28 November, I would expect
      that all files uploaded between the time of the fix and December 1
      to have been processed by now.

      If that is not the case, I suggest getting in touch with K1MK and K1ZZ
      with specific file names and upload dates.

      On 12/9/2012 11:02 AM, Mike Flowers wrote:
      > The faster I go, the behinder I get.
      >
      > --Lewis Carroll
      >

      > - 73 de Mike, <http://www.qrz.com/db/k6mkf/> K6MKF,
      > <http://www.qrz.com/db/w6nag/> W6NAG, VP <http://www.ncdxc.org/> NCDXC,
      > <http://www.yt1ad.info/3d2c/index.html> Conway Reef 2012,
      > <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3.htm> K3- <http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm>
      > P3 Addict, <http://www.scdr.org/> Dachshund Rescue,
      > <http://www.waiohuli.com/> Maui

    • Kenneth Grimm
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 11, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

        It is certainly a sign of competence and design skills when you realize the LoTW system was deployed on SAN technology 10+ years ago. That was leading edge architecture at the time, and unlikely to be found outside of corporate server farms or large data centers.

        For anyone interested in considerations the regarding the marriage of SANs and Database architecture, here's an article describing the issues facing system designers. It's a pretty decent primer on some basic database design too.

        http://tinyurl.com/7bpmt64

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Thanks for the link, Bob.  Enterprise decisions concerning SSDs are the same as I went through when deciding to use them.  8*)

        Speaking of enterprise...do you know of any studies comparing MTBF for consumer vs enterprise SSDs?

        Ken - K4XL
        BoatAnchor Manual Archive
        BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com