Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Need help withTrusted QSL

  • barramunda@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
      I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result. I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
      Walt - W2EVU

      Walter J. Stauffer
      7532 North Ontario St.
      Sodus Point, NY 14555
      Tel. 315.483.4190

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
        If this is what you got when you clicked on the certificate in
        e-mail, there was no user certificate in the e-mail:

        >> The Load Certificate box displayed:
        >> Root Certificates:
        >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
        >> CA Certificates:
        >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
        >> User Certificates: <=== this says there was no
        >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0 <=== user certificate returned
        >> Private Keys:
        >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
        >> Configuration Data;
        >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0

        Make sure you are on the same computer as the one from which you
        generated the *UNSIGNED* certificate request, log on to LotW
        (https:/p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser), select "Your Account", then
        "Your Certificates" and click on the link that says "Download
        your certificates". What happens?

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
          At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:

          >I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
          >double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
          >I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
          >Walt - W2EVU

          Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.

          When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
          COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
          Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
          to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
          must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
          account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
          recognize the certificate.

          You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
          In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
          and enter.

          You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
          can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
          process.

          The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
          that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
          their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
          that you can't finish the registration.

          This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
          TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
          use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
          TrustedQSL.
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
            > The fact that TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along
            > with requring to use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a
            > serious oversight in TrustedQSL.

            And one among many others that I trust the rebooted tQSL open source
            project will address <G>.

            On 12/8/2012 8:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:
            > At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
            >>

            >> I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
            >> double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
            >> I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
            >> Walt - W2EVU
            >
            > Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.
            >
            > When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
            > COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
            > Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
            > to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
            > must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
            > account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
            > recognize the certificate.
            >
            > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
            > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
            > and enter.
            >
            > You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
            > can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
            > process.
            >
            > The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
            > that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
            > their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
            > that you can't finish the registration.
            >
            > This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
            > TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
            > use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
            > TrustedQSL.
            > 73,
            > -Rick

          • iain macdonnell - N6ML
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
              On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU
              <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

              > At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
              > >

              > >I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
              > >double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
              > >I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
              > >Walt - W2EVU
              >
              > Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.
              >
              > When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
              > COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
              > Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
              > to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
              > must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
              > account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
              > recognize the certificate.
              >
              > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
              > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
              > and enter.

              That'd be "%AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys"

              73,

              ~iain / N6ML

              > You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
              > can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
              > process.
              >
              > The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
              > that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
              > their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
              > that you can't finish the registration.
              >
              > This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
              > TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
              > use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
              > TrustedQSL.
              > 73,
              > -Rick

            • Kenneth Grimm
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                While tQSL certainly provides for data integrity, a more arcane way of providing it is hard to imagine.  Surely there is a better, simpler, device for providing the needed security without inhibiting so many potential users.  Of course, a simpler, user-friendly system will result in heavier use...something that might cause the current system to cough up a hairball!

                73,

                Ken - K4XL

                On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

                > The fact that TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along
                > with requring to use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a
                > serious oversight in TrustedQSL.

                And one among many others that I trust the rebooted tQSL open source
                project will address <G>.

                Ken - K4XL
                BoatAnchor Manual Archive
                BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

              • barramunda@juno.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                  When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file called certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                  Walter J. Stauffer
                  7532 North Ontario St.
                  Sodus Point, NY 14555
                  Tel. 315.483.4190

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                    At 11:18 AM 12/8/2012, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
                    >On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU
                    ><k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:
                    > > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
                    > > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
                    > > and enter.
                    >
                    >That'd be "%AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys"

                    Thanks for the correction, Iain.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                      At 11:23 AM 12/8/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
                      >When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file called
                      >certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                      You open it using TQSLcert, assuming that you have the other half of
                      the certificate loaded on that computer. (See my earlier message on how
                      to verify that.) Of course, that means that you need to have TrustedQSL
                      loaded as well.

                      However, what you're doing is probably not going to help you.
                      You can not use that file to recover from a system crash, reformat, or
                      use it to move to another machine.
                      TQ6 files are only useful once, right after you send a certificate
                      request to ARRL. After that, they're of very limited value. You can not
                      use a TQ6 file to load your certificate onto a new computer. There's
                      almost no reason to ever download that file other than when you've just
                      requested a new certificate.

                      To restore, recover, reinstall, move, etc. you need a .P12 file. You
                      are prompted to create that backup when you install the TQ6 file. If
                      you don't have a backup, you'll need to issue a new unsigned
                      certificate request and upload it to LoTW.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                        > When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file
                        > called certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                        If clicking on/downloading the tq6 file does not automatically start
                        tQSL Cert and load that file, tQSL is not properly installed or it is
                        installed for a different user account (log-in) on your computer.

                        As Rick suggested, click on "My computer" (opens Windows Explorer)
                        and type %AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys into the address bar and strike
                        enter. Do you see a file with your call?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                          On 12/8/2012 11:19 AM, Kenneth Grimm wrote:
                          > While tQSL certainly provides for data integrity, a more arcane way of
                          > providing it is hard to imagine.

                          There is nothing wrong with a public/private key approach to both data
                          integrity and authentication. I'm sure that Rick and Dave will be
                          looking at ways to better shield unsophisticated users from the details
                          of key creation and maintenance.

                          An improved user interface and better documentation will go a long way
                          toward making Logbook of the World a much more user friendly - and less
                          imposing - environment.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                            Do you have a certificate "W2EVU - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" with
                            a slash symbol in the tQSL Certificates list in tQSL Cert?

                            I don't know where the "save" comes from - perhaps a previous
                            certificate request. However:

                            1) log into "https:/p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser"
                            2) go to "your account" -> "your certificates" and click on
                            "download your certificates"
                            3) *save* the tq6 (certs.tq6) to your desktop or someplace you can
                            find it
                            4) Open tQSL Cert
                            5) click on File -> Load Certificate File
                            6) select TQSL and click "next"
                            7) when the "Select Certificate File" window opens navigate
                            to the place you saved the tq6 file, select the tq6 file
                            and click "open"

                            What do the displayed results show? Do you now have a "W2EVU -
                            UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" certificate with a "gold ribbon" in
                            the tQSL Certificates list?