Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: [dxlab] LotW Backlog continues to grow ...

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 7, 2012
      > Yes, SSDs (apparently the "fix") is, at best, a band-aid - I predict
      > no noticeable difference.

      Well, that does depend on what their storage architecture is ... if
      LotW is really on a server platform but storage is using an old storage
      architecture, I suppose it could be I/O bound.

      Time will tell ... but it would be nice if someone at ARRL actually
      wrote an article (even if it was on-line) that gave the rest of us
      some real technical details - server, storage, database, OS/programming
      language, pictures, performance metrics, etc. Yes, we're curious but
      *information builds trust* while "hiding from the users" erodes
      confidence.

      > And note that unlike many others here, I've claimed (and paid for) 2
      > WASes, a 6m VUCC, and 4 DXCCs (plus a 150 Mixed sticker!) via LOTW.

      I have over 2000 "paid for" credits via LotW - most of it paying a
      second time for credits from my 5BDXCC, 160M DXCC, 300+ mixed/phone/CW
      to reach 2400+ on DXCC Challenge but also VUCC at 250, a couple WAS
      awards all via LotW and Triple Play.

      On 12/7/2012 3:20 PM, Peter Laws wrote:
      > On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:
      >
      >> - the system still appears to be critically overloaded to a degree not
      >> resolvable by the simple storage system upgrade ARRL have announced is
      >> "coming soon."
      >>
      >> I do not know what hardware is being used for Logbook but it appears
      >> that the system is compute bound and should be completely redesigned
      >

      > Yes, SSDs (apparently the "fix") is, at best, a band-aid - I predict
      > no noticeable difference.
      >
      > Your use of the word "redesigned" carries with it the implication that
      > the system was "designed" in the first place. Without a shred of
      > evidence other than 20 years experience in IT, I strongly believe that
      > someone threw together a proof-of-concept system and the higher-ups
      > insisted that it go into production.
      >
      > As I've said to my Div Dir several times now, the Board (not HQ) needs
      > to appoint a blue-ribbon panel of members with technical expertise
      > with a charter to 1) ensure that the current system is stabilized and
      > 2) lay out a path for the next generation LOTW (actual implementation
      > would be left to others).
      >
      > My preference would be that a new system would be one that accepts any
      > logs, DX or contest or the "3 QSOs a day" which so many claim is the
      > problem (it's not) and match them with their QSO partners for award
      > purposes and/or check them for contest purposes. Paper QSLs would
      > have to be entered as they are now in the "Online DXCC" system and
      > field checked, of course.
      >
      > And note that unlike many others here, I've claimed (and paid for) 2
      > WASes, a 6m VUCC, and 4 DXCCs (plus a 150 Mixed sticker!) via LOTW.

    • Kenneth Grimm
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 11, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

        It is certainly a sign of competence and design skills when you realize the LoTW system was deployed on SAN technology 10+ years ago. That was leading edge architecture at the time, and unlikely to be found outside of corporate server farms or large data centers.

        For anyone interested in considerations the regarding the marriage of SANs and Database architecture, here's an article describing the issues facing system designers. It's a pretty decent primer on some basic database design too.

        http://tinyurl.com/7bpmt64

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Thanks for the link, Bob.  Enterprise decisions concerning SSDs are the same as I went through when deciding to use them.  8*)

        Speaking of enterprise...do you know of any studies comparing MTBF for consumer vs enterprise SSDs?

        Ken - K4XL
        BoatAnchor Manual Archive
        BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com