Need help withTrusted QSL

  • w2evu
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
      I have been using LoTW with TrustedQSL since 2011. I had a major computer crash which necessitated returning my computer to factory defaults. I reloaded Trusted QSL v. 1.13. When I tried to reload my certificate from my backup disc I could not get it load.
      The Load Certificate box displayed:
      Root Certificates:
      Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
      CA Certificates:
      Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
      User Certificates:
      Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
      Private Keys:
      Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
      Configuration Data;
      Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0

      TQSLcert still showed the slashed circle.
      I thought that maybe my backup disc got corrupted so I requested and received a new .tq6 certificate file. When I tried to load this certificate I got the same results.
      I am using an HP Pavilion computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS.
      I am not very computer savvy and need help.

      Walt - W2EVU
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
        The tq6 file is only half of the certificate - the other resides on
        your computer. *Both* must be present to create a valid certificate.
        If you wiped/formatted your hard drive, the "local key" portion will
        be gone and you will need to generate a new "unsigned" certificate
        request.

        1) Start by opening tQSL Cert
        2) Select File -> New Certificate Request
        3) follow each of the steps - at the step
        that says "Generate Certificate Request"
        click *UNSIGNED*
        4) You may need to decline the offer to generate a signed request
        *do not make a signed request* - it will not be valid.
        5) save the resulting (*.tq5) certificate request, then go on-line
        to https://www.arrl.org/lotw and upload the file or e-mail it
        to lotw-logs@...

        *DO NOT* delete the *.tq5 file or the certificate with the slash
        symbol from tQSL CERT. They will be needed when you receive the
        new *.tq6 (public key) portion of the new certificate.

        When the new certificate has been issued, double click on the file
        in the e-mail and tQSL will load it automatically. *Note* you must
        be using the *same computer* that you were using when you generated
        the certificate request *and* you must be using the same user account.
        If your computer is used by multiple people in the household *be sure*
        you know which account (log in) is active.

        Finally, when you do receive and install the new certificate,
        *IMMEDIATELY* select Certificate | Save and create a *.p12 (certificate
        back-up) file. Put that file on a thumb drive, DVD, etc. that you can
        use to reinstall that certificate *on any other system* if you ever
        need to completely restore a computer again.

      • barramunda@juno.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
          I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result. I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
          Walt - W2EVU

          Walter J. Stauffer
          7532 North Ontario St.
          Sodus Point, NY 14555
          Tel. 315.483.4190

          The tq6 file is only half of the certificate - the other resides on
          your computer. *Both* must be present to create a valid certificate.
          If you wiped/formatted your hard drive, the "local key" portion will
          be gone and you will need to generate a new "unsigned" certificate
          request.

          1) Start by opening tQSL Cert
          2) Select File -> New Certificate Request
          3) follow each of the steps - at the step
          that says "Generate Certificate Request"
          click *UNSIGNED*
          4) You may need to decline the offer to generate a signed request
          *do not make a signed request* - it will not be valid.
          5) save the resulting (*.tq5) certificate request, then go on-line
          to https://www.arrl.org/lotw and upload the file or e-mail it
          to lotw-logs@...

          *DO NOT* delete the *.tq5 file or the certificate with the slash
          symbol from tQSL CERT. They will be needed when you receive the
          new *.tq6 (public key) portion of the new certificate.

          When the new certificate has been issued, double click on the file
          in the e-mail and tQSL will load it automatically. *Note* you must
          be using the *same computer* that you were using when you generated
          the certificate request *and* you must be using the same user account.
          If your computer is used by multiple people in the household *be sure*
          you know which account (log in) is active.

          Finally, when you do receive and install the new certificate,
          *IMMEDIATELY* select Certificate | Save and create a *.p12 (certificate
          back-up) file. Put that file on a thumb drive, DVD, etc. that you can
          use to reinstall that certificate *on any other system* if you ever
          need to completely restore a computer again.

          On 12/7/2012 9:13 PM, w2evu wrote:
          > I have been using LoTW with TrustedQSL since 2011. I had a major computer crash which necessitated returning my computer to factory defaults. I reloaded Trusted QSL v. 1.13. When I tried to reload my certificate from my backup disc I could not get it load.
          > The Load Certificate box displayed:
          > Root Certificates:
          > Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
          > CA Certificates:
          > Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
          > User Certificates:
          > Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
          > Private Keys:
          > Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
          > Configuration Data;
          > Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
          >
          > TQSLcert still showed the slashed circle.
          > I thought that maybe my backup disc got corrupted so I requested and received a new .tq6 certificate file. When I tried to load this certificate I got the same results.
          > I am using an HP Pavilion computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS.
          > I am not very computer savvy and need help.
          >
          > Walt - W2EVU

          Woman is 53 But Looks 25
          ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
            If this is what you got when you clicked on the certificate in
            e-mail, there was no user certificate in the e-mail:

            >> The Load Certificate box displayed:
            >> Root Certificates:
            >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
            >> CA Certificates:
            >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
            >> User Certificates: <=== this says there was no
            >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0 <=== user certificate returned
            >> Private Keys:
            >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
            >> Configuration Data;
            >> Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0

            Make sure you are on the same computer as the one from which you
            generated the *UNSIGNED* certificate request, log on to LotW
            (https:/p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser), select "Your Account", then
            "Your Certificates" and click on the link that says "Download
            your certificates". What happens?

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
              At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:

              >I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
              >double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
              >I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
              >Walt - W2EVU

              Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.

              When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
              COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
              Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
              to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
              must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
              account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
              recognize the certificate.

              You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
              In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
              and enter.

              You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
              can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
              process.

              The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
              that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
              their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
              that you can't finish the registration.

              This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
              TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
              use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
              TrustedQSL.
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                > The fact that TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along
                > with requring to use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a
                > serious oversight in TrustedQSL.

                And one among many others that I trust the rebooted tQSL open source
                project will address <G>.

                On 12/8/2012 8:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:
                > At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
                >>

                >> I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
                >> double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
                >> I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
                >> Walt - W2EVU
                >
                > Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.
                >
                > When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
                > COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
                > Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
                > to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
                > must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
                > account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
                > recognize the certificate.
                >
                > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
                > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
                > and enter.
                >
                > You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
                > can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
                > process.
                >
                > The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
                > that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
                > their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
                > that you can't finish the registration.
                >
                > This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
                > TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
                > use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
                > TrustedQSL.
                > 73,
                > -Rick

              • iain macdonnell - N6ML
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                  On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU
                  <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

                  > At 11:04 PM 12/7/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
                  > >

                  > >I tried this before. I got the new certificate on email. I
                  > >double-clicked on the .tq6 certificate file, but got the same result.
                  > >I even tried uninstalling all TQSL files and started over. Same result,
                  > >Walt - W2EVU
                  >
                  > Perhaps you missed the second half of the requirement.
                  >
                  > When you issue a certificate request, a file is created ON THAT
                  > COMPUTER that's needed to complete the issuance process.
                  > Whe you receive the TQ6 back from LoTW, that file is needed. If you try
                  > to install the TQ6 on a computer without that file, it won't work. You
                  > must open the TQ6 on that computer using the same computer login
                  > account - if not, you can't find that private key and LoTW won't
                  > recognize the certificate.
                  >
                  > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
                  > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
                  > and enter.

                  That'd be "%AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys"

                  73,

                  ~iain / N6ML

                  > You should see a file with just your callsign. If it's not there or
                  > can't be read, TQSLcert can't complete the certificate registration
                  > process.
                  >
                  > The only other case where I've seen this happen was with a computer
                  > that for some unknown reason wasn't allowing the user to read/write in
                  > their windows Application Data folder (as above). No private key means
                  > that you can't finish the registration.
                  >
                  > This is by far the most common question asked here. The fact that
                  > TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along with requring to
                  > use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a serious oversight in
                  > TrustedQSL.
                  > 73,
                  > -Rick

                • Kenneth Grimm
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                    While tQSL certainly provides for data integrity, a more arcane way of providing it is hard to imagine.  Surely there is a better, simpler, device for providing the needed security without inhibiting so many potential users.  Of course, a simpler, user-friendly system will result in heavier use...something that might cause the current system to cough up a hairball!

                    73,

                    Ken - K4XL

                    On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

                    > The fact that TQSLcert doesn't tell you what's going wrong, along
                    > with requring to use arcane "%AppData" commands to diagnose it is a
                    > serious oversight in TrustedQSL.

                    And one among many others that I trust the rebooted tQSL open source
                    project will address <G>.

                    Ken - K4XL
                    BoatAnchor Manual Archive
                    BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

                  • barramunda@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                      When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file called certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                      Walter J. Stauffer
                      7532 North Ontario St.
                      Sodus Point, NY 14555
                      Tel. 315.483.4190

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                        At 11:18 AM 12/8/2012, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
                        >On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Rick Murphy/K1MU
                        ><k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:
                        > > You can see what it's looking for - start Windows Explorer (Windows-E).
                        > > In the address bar, type "%AppData\TrustedQSL\keys" without the quotes
                        > > and enter.
                        >
                        >That'd be "%AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys"

                        Thanks for the correction, Iain.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                          At 11:23 AM 12/8/2012, barramunda@... wrote:
                          >When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file called
                          >certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                          You open it using TQSLcert, assuming that you have the other half of
                          the certificate loaded on that computer. (See my earlier message on how
                          to verify that.) Of course, that means that you need to have TrustedQSL
                          loaded as well.

                          However, what you're doing is probably not going to help you.
                          You can not use that file to recover from a system crash, reformat, or
                          use it to move to another machine.
                          TQ6 files are only useful once, right after you send a certificate
                          request to ARRL. After that, they're of very limited value. You can not
                          use a TQ6 file to load your certificate onto a new computer. There's
                          almost no reason to ever download that file other than when you've just
                          requested a new certificate.

                          To restore, recover, reinstall, move, etc. you need a .P12 file. You
                          are prompted to create that backup when you install the TQ6 file. If
                          you don't have a backup, you'll need to issue a new unsigned
                          certificate request and upload it to LoTW.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                            > When I click on Download Your Certificate it down loads a file
                            > called certs.tq6 which I cannot do anything with.

                            If clicking on/downloading the tq6 file does not automatically start
                            tQSL Cert and load that file, tQSL is not properly installed or it is
                            installed for a different user account (log-in) on your computer.

                            As Rick suggested, click on "My computer" (opens Windows Explorer)
                            and type %AppData%\TrustedQSL\keys into the address bar and strike
                            enter. Do you see a file with your call?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                              On 12/8/2012 11:19 AM, Kenneth Grimm wrote:
                              > While tQSL certainly provides for data integrity, a more arcane way of
                              > providing it is hard to imagine.

                              There is nothing wrong with a public/private key approach to both data
                              integrity and authentication. I'm sure that Rick and Dave will be
                              looking at ways to better shield unsophisticated users from the details
                              of key creation and maintenance.

                              An improved user interface and better documentation will go a long way
                              toward making Logbook of the World a much more user friendly - and less
                              imposing - environment.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                                Do you have a certificate "W2EVU - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" with
                                a slash symbol in the tQSL Certificates list in tQSL Cert?

                                I don't know where the "save" comes from - perhaps a previous
                                certificate request. However:

                                1) log into "https:/p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser"
                                2) go to "your account" -> "your certificates" and click on
                                "download your certificates"
                                3) *save* the tq6 (certs.tq6) to your desktop or someplace you can
                                find it
                                4) Open tQSL Cert
                                5) click on File -> Load Certificate File
                                6) select TQSL and click "next"
                                7) when the "Select Certificate File" window opens navigate
                                to the place you saved the tq6 file, select the tq6 file
                                and click "open"

                                What do the displayed results show? Do you now have a "W2EVU -
                                UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" certificate with a "gold ribbon" in
                                the tQSL Certificates list?