Re: [dxlab] LotW Backlog continues to grow ...

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 7, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Peter Laws <plaws@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

      > Your use of the word "redesigned" carries with it the implication that
      > the system was "designed" in the first place. Without a shred of
      > evidence other than 20 years experience in IT, I strongly believe that
      > someone threw together a proof-of-concept system and the higher-ups
      > insisted that it go into production.

      I sit corrected. I have been shown evidence that there was a design!

      I stand by the rest of my post.

    • Kenneth Grimm
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 11, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...> wrote:

        It is certainly a sign of competence and design skills when you realize the LoTW system was deployed on SAN technology 10+ years ago. That was leading edge architecture at the time, and unlikely to be found outside of corporate server farms or large data centers.

        For anyone interested in considerations the regarding the marriage of SANs and Database architecture, here's an article describing the issues facing system designers. It's a pretty decent primer on some basic database design too.

        http://tinyurl.com/7bpmt64

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Thanks for the link, Bob.  Enterprise decisions concerning SSDs are the same as I went through when deciding to use them.  8*)

        Speaking of enterprise...do you know of any studies comparing MTBF for consumer vs enterprise SSDs?

        Ken - K4XL
        BoatAnchor Manual Archive
        BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com