Interesting

  • Jim Brannigan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
      There is an ARRL WEB survey about log usage.  The results are interesting.

      Yes, a computer log and I log every contact   28.8 % (248)
       Yes, a computer log, but I only log memorable QSOs   4.2 % (36)
       Yes, a paper log and I log every contact   38.2 % (329)
       Yes, a paper log, but I only log memorable QSOs   12.4 % (107)
       No   16.5 % (142)
       Total votes: 862

      Only 29% of us use computer logging!!!!!

      Jim
    • Buck
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004

        Wouldn’t that be 33%?

        Buck

        NA4FM

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
          28.8 + 4.2 = 29% ??????
          I didn't use a computer to compute the %....
          maybe my OLD style math has been upgraded

          But I just went and voted.
          I use computer and log ALL qso's.
          My entire log from 1967.

          > There is an ARRL WEB survey about log usage. The results are interesting.
          >
          > Yes, a computer log and I log every contact 28.8 % (248)
          > Yes, a computer log, but I only log memorable QSOs 4.2 % (36)
          > Yes, a paper log and I log every contact 38.2 % (329)
          > Yes, a paper log, but I only log memorable QSOs 12.4 % (107)
          > No 16.5 % (142)
          > Total votes: 862
          >

          > Only 29% of us use computer logging!!!!!
          >
          > Jim

        • N0UF
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
            28 + 4 =32
            .8 + .2 + 1
            32 + 1 = 33
            Very Old Math
            > I didn't use a computer to compute the %....
            > maybe my OLD style math has been upgraded
            >
            > But I just went and voted.
            > I use computer and log ALL qso's.
            > My entire log from 1967.

          • Jim Brannigan
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
              I don't consider occasional or "memorable QSO" logging maintaining a log.

              > There is an ARRL WEB survey about log usage.  The results are interesting.
              >
              >       Yes, a computer log and I log every contact     28.8 % (248)
              >        Yes, a computer log, but I only log memorable QSOs     4.2 % (36)
              >        Yes, a paper log and I log every contact     38.2 % (329)
              >        Yes, a paper log, but I only log memorable QSOs     12.4 % (107)
              >        No     16.5 % (142)
              >        Total votes: 862
              >

              >       Only 29% of us use computer logging!!!!!
              >
              >       Jim

            • FireBrick
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                  Presuming that survey is a representative sample, it means 67% of us keep a complete log and another almost 17% keep a log of important contacts.  That's a much higher rate than I'd have expected.

                  73, de Hans, K0HB

                • NN8L
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                    Message
                    Considering this is a WEB survery, the numbers are skewed to begin with.  To take the survey you must have a computer and an Internet account.  Most of us do, but it still skews the results.  Obviously, those without a computer don't keep a computerized log and can't answer the survey.

                    Hal
                    NN8L
                  • R Johnson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                      Quite right !!!

                      However, only 33% of those with computers bother to keep an "Electronic Log"
                      so I think the final number would be much lower than 33%.

                      Maybe in the 8% to 10% region for "Electronic Logs" overall.

                      73
                      Bob, K1VU

                      At 18:23 7/31/2004 , you wrote:
                      >Considering this is a WEB survery, the numbers are skewed to begin with. To take the survey you must have a computer and an Internet account. Most of us do, but it still skews the results. Obviously, those without a computer don't keep a computerized log and can't answer the survey.
                      >
                      >Hal
                      >NN8L
                      >
                      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • K0HB
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004

                        Mark me down in the "so what and who cares" camp.

                        Ham radio is about radio, not about how (or even whether) anyone keeps a
                        log.

                        Back when I was a pup it was the law, so I did it. Became a habit, and I
                        still do it, but doesn't make someone a child of a lesser god if they
                        happen not to keep one, or what media they prefer to use.

                        73, de Hans, K0HB
                      • NN8L
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                          Message
                          Well, EXCUSE us for discussing electronic logging in what seems to be an electronic logging board.  I don't think anybody was being condemned for anything Hans.  Obviously you must have some intrest in computer logging or you wouldn't be a member of this board.  In the past individuals have expressed their dismay about the number of hams involved in LotW, and I think someone was only trying to shed some light on the subject.

                          Hal
                          NN8L

                           > Mark me down in the "so what and who cares" camp.

                           > Ham radio is about radio, not about how (or even whether) anyone keeps a
                           > log.

                           > Back when I was a pup it was the law, so I did it.  Became a habit, and I
                           > still do it, but doesn't make someone a child of a lesser god if they
                           > happen not to keep one, or what media they prefer to use.

                           > 73, de Hans, K0HB

                        • Jim Brannigan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2004
                            Message
                            Where does the attitude come from Hans????
                            I was simply stating the results of the ARRL survey.  As someone else pointed out it is a skewed survey, so the actual number of hams using computer logging is less than 28%.  This is the MAXIMUM number of Hams that are candidates for LoTW.
                            Your comments add What, to the discussion?????

                            Jim
                            Well, EXCUSE us for discussing electronic logging in what seems to be an electronic logging board.  I don't think anybody was being condemned for anything Hans.  Obviously you must have some intrest in computer logging or you wouldn't be a member of this board.  In the past individuals have expressed their dismay about the number of hams involved in LotW, and I think someone was only trying to shed some light on the subject.

                            Hal
                            NN8L

                             > Mark me down in the "so what and who cares" camp.

                             > Ham radio is about radio, not about how (or even whether) anyone keeps a
                             > log.

                             > Back when I was a pup it was the law, so I did it.  Became a habit, and I
                             > still do it, but doesn't make someone a child of a lesser god if they
                             > happen not to keep one, or what media they prefer to use.

                             > 73, de Hans, K0HB

                          • R Johnson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 11 6:25 PM
                              Hi Hans:
                              Just found you reply after vacation. !!!

                              Gee, I don't know what I said or did to "Over Torque your Head Bolt" ???

                              First:
                              I was a "Young Pup" just like YOU !!! A LOT of us WERE !!!
                              As you said "When first I got my license" we had to keep "Paper Logs" of
                              EVERYTHING we did (except passing gas)!!! Lots of CQ ---- No Response,
                              entries in my old logs books !!! Lots of entries for all the nets I used
                              to check into !!! Lots of old ARRL "Log Books" stacked up in the bookcase.
                              Then we got computers and WE still kept logging ALL QSO's !!!

                              Then when you wanted to move up, you had go to the FCC office in the old
                              "Customs House" in Boston, MA for your exam and let the FCC people watch
                              you SWEAT bullets (and pass a lot of gas from both ends) !!!

                              Next:
                              The subject this "thread" was about the ARRL poll on who kept logs and how.

                              Since this list is about LoTW, Electronic logging, and therefor requires the
                              use of computers to accomplish this feat; I felt my comments were in order.

                              The final results of the ARRL poll, with 2,789 respondents were:
                              32.7% kept an "Electronic Log" (call it 33%)
                              50.3% kept a "Paper Log"
                              17.0% kept "No Log"

                              So the bottom line of the poll was ONLY 1/3 of the Hams responding kept a log
                              that could be immediately (more or less) utilized to LoTW !!!

                              Trying to put these numbers into prospective, I'm going to assume that 99% of
                              the respondents were ARRL Members. How many of U.S. Hams respond to
                              "Electronic Polls" from the Lithuanian, German, East Timor or New Zealand
                              equivalent of the ARRL ???

                              If I look at the ARRL Membership we have, according to Ward Silver, N0AX and
                              Tom Frenaye, K1KI, the ARRL has a membership of about 165K out of the 700K
                              U.S. licensed Hams. This results in about a 22.8% League membership !!!
                              Reducing this number by the ARRL "Guesstimate" that this number is reduced by
                              about 2% to 5% for SK's. So I'm going to make an ASSUMPTION that if only 20%
                              of the US Hams are ARRL members. This number is further reduced by the number
                              of INACTIVE U.S. Hams (Working to many jobs, RFI, Zoning, etc) and will not be
                              renewing their Ham License, so this final number will be less than 20% !!!

                              If we assume that the number 700K U.S. hams is correct AND assuming that ALL of
                              the 7,680 LoTW users are U.S. Hams, that means that we have about a 1.097%
                              utilization factor for LoTW !!! Rounded off is 1.1% using LoTW !!!!

                              These numbers (1.1% of the U.S. Ham population) sure don't don't recommend
                              usage of LoTW to the general Ham population "World Wide" !!!

                              What do we need to do to increase the utilization numbers for LoTW ???

                              73
                              Bob, K1VU
                              FN42ma

                              At 23:45 7/31/2004 , you wrote:
> [...]
                            • Jerry Keller
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 11 7:47 PM
                                Bob... I'm rather disappointed to hear that you haven't been keeping your log up to date on
                                gas-passing.... shape up, OM :-)

                                73, Jerry K3BZ

                                > Just found you reply after vacation. !!!
                                >
                                > Gee, I don't know what I said or did to "Over Torque your Head Bolt" ???
                                >
                                > First:
                                > I was a "Young Pup" just like YOU !!! A LOT of us WERE !!!
                                > As you said "When first I got my license" we had to keep "Paper Logs" of
                                > EVERYTHING we did (except passing gas)!!! Lots of CQ ---- No Response,
                                > entries in my old logs books !!! Lots of entries for all the nets I used
                                > to check into !!! Lots of old ARRL "Log Books" stacked up in the bookcase.
                                > Then we got computers and WE still kept logging ALL QSO's !!!
                                >
                                > Then when you wanted to move up, you had go to the FCC office in the old
                                > "Customs House" in Boston, MA for your exam and let the FCC people watch
                                > you SWEAT bullets (and pass a lot of gas from both ends) !!!
                                >
                                > Next:
                                > The subject this "thread" was about the ARRL poll on who kept logs and how.
                                >
                                > Since this list is about LoTW, Electronic logging, and therefor requires the
                                > use of computers to accomplish this feat; I felt my comments were in order.
                                >
                                > The final results of the ARRL poll, with 2,789 respondents were:
                                > 32.7% kept an "Electronic Log" (call it 33%)
                                > 50.3% kept a "Paper Log"
                                > 17.0% kept "No Log"
                                >
                                > So the bottom line of the poll was ONLY 1/3 of the Hams responding kept a log
                                > that could be immediately (more or less) utilized to LoTW !!!
                                >
                                > Trying to put these numbers into prospective, I'm going to assume that 99% of
                                > the respondents were ARRL Members. How many of U.S. Hams respond to
                                > "Electronic Polls" from the Lithuanian, German, East Timor or New Zealand
                                > equivalent of the ARRL ???
                                >
                                > If I look at the ARRL Membership we have, according to Ward Silver, N0AX and
                                > Tom Frenaye, K1KI, the ARRL has a membership of about 165K out of the 700K
                                > U.S. licensed Hams. This results in about a 22.8% League membership !!!
                                > Reducing this number by the ARRL "Guesstimate" that this number is reduced by
                                > about 2% to 5% for SK's. So I'm going to make an ASSUMPTION that if only 20%
                                > of the US Hams are ARRL members. This number is further reduced by the number
                                > of INACTIVE U.S. Hams (Working to many jobs, RFI, Zoning, etc) and will not be
                                > renewing their Ham License, so this final number will be less than 20% !!!
                                >
                                > If we assume that the number 700K U.S. hams is correct AND assuming that ALL of
                                > the 7,680 LoTW users are U.S. Hams, that means that we have about a 1.097%
                                > utilization factor for LoTW !!! Rounded off is 1.1% using LoTW !!!!
                                >
                                > These numbers (1.1% of the U.S. Ham population) sure don't don't recommend
                                > usage of LoTW to the general Ham population "World Wide" !!!
                                >
                                > What do we need to do to increase the utilization numbers for LoTW ???
                                >
                                > 73
                                > Bob, K1VU
                                > FN42ma

                              • Julio Peralta
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012

                                  I thought some might find this interesting. Yesterday I received an envelope from the buro containing 5 cards from DX entities. The dates on these cards were from March, April, November and December of 2001.

                                  Julio, W4HY

                                • David Levine
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012

                                    And in 2012 I have received LoTW QSLs for QSOs I uploaded in 2008 (1st yr on HF). Not sure what the difference is or why either is 'interesting'.

                                    I'm sure glad the 'this is broken and something needs to be done' voice won over the 'its better then the pony express so be happy' voice as there has been communication and changes because of the combined voice.

                                    If you are happy with the way things were with lost files, no visibility into the backlog and no communications from the ARRL, then you can just hit delete on all the posts that caused at least those 3 items to be addressed.

                                    David - K2DSL

                                    On Dec 11, 2012 8:19 AM, "Julio Peralta" <jperalta4@...> wrote:

                                    > I thought some might find this interesting. Yesterday I received an envelope from the buro containing 5 cards from DX entities. The dates on these cards were from March, April, November and December of 2001.
                                    >

                                    > Julio, W4HY

                                  • Frank T Brady
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                                      That is just NOT acceptable - there ought to be someone we can hassle about this
                                      73 frank w0ecs

                                      On 12/11/2012 8:19 AM, Julio Peralta wrote:

                                      I thought some might find this interesting. Yesterday I received an envelope from the buro containing 5 cards from DX entities. The dates on these cards were from March, April, November and December of 2001.

                                      Julio, W4HY

                                    • Amir Findling
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012

                                        Well, a single such event can easily be a fluke, just as it happen in the postal services. The glitch could have also occurred in a bureau in Timbuktu or Podunk... or a postal service somewhere. Now, the more such events recur, the more it points towards a problem. We don't seem to be there yet, with LOTW, we definitely are.

                                        On the same vein, I received a card from the bureau for a QSO I never made, happened before I was a ham, and I could not even find who, if any owned my call sign, K9CHP, at the time... I believe I am the first one with this call sign, so the card may have been sent with the wrong station/call sign, whether misspelled or incorrectly received at the time. It might have been orphaned all that time till I claimed my cards... I certainly did not see it as a problem, just an enigma.

                                        73 de Amir K9CHP
                                        From my Acer Iconia A500 tablet

                                        On Dec 11, 2012 8:19 AM, "Julio Peralta" <jperalta4@...> wrote:

                                        I thought some might find this interesting. Yesterday I received an envelope from the buro containing 5 cards from DX entities. The dates on these cards were from March, April, November and December of 2001.

                                        Julio, W4HY

                                      • Richard Solomon
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                                          There certainly is ...

                                          You can complain to all those volunteers who staff the bureau in all those radio clubs
                                          that handle your cards.

                                          HI HI

                                          I get a laugh when I read some of the comments about LoTW. They should have been
                                          around when the bureau was the only show in town for USSR QSL's. A 3 year wait was
                                          not that un-common.

                                          73, Dick, W1KSZ