ways of indicating portable/remote operation in the call sign

  • stenstro
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
      I use Logger32 and it accepts a portable call sign as xxx/call or
      call/xxx. In the Logger32 help files it says that the call/zzz.

      I can see that I have confirmed contacts in LoTW using the xxx/call
      style. Does anyone know if the call/xxx style is recognized by LoTW?

      Thanks, Mike Stenstrom, K6OIX.
    • dl4eax
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        I have requested LOTW certificates for DL4EAX/p and W4/DL4EAX.

        Now I am able to upload QSOs made with this calls to LOTW.

        Hope this answers your question.

        73,

        Michael - DL4EAX

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "stenstro" <stenstro@...> wrote:

        > I use Logger32 and it accepts a portable call sign as xxx/call or
        > call/xxx. In the Logger32 help files it says that the call/zzz.
        >
        > I can see that I have confirmed contacts in LoTW using the xxx/call
        > style. Does anyone know if the call/xxx style is recognized by LoTW?
        >
        > Thanks, Mike Stenstrom, K6OIX.

      • russ_wq3x
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
          The contact should be logged "as sent" no matter what you are using as a logging program. When I operate portable I create another LoTW certificate with that call (as sent). If you log it backwards you will be out of luck. That's why it pays to actually copy the call rather than relying on the DXcluster spot being correct.

          LoTW doesn't care about the sequence as long as there is a certificate for it. Also it doesn't care what country your logging program assigns to it.

          There was a time that I used WB2QJI and WB2QJI/3 for several years. I was used to sending the /3 from the old days when it was required. During this period I used both calls interchangeably and did not keep track of which call I was using. So I just loaded the same log under WB2QJI and WB2QJI/3 and I get matches either way. (A few zombies, yes.)

          Russ WQ3X

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2012
            Thanks for both posts. I understand if I want to use a portable call such as K6OIX/xxx that I have to have a certificate for the call. I don't need to use a portable call yet! Maybe I'll join a dxpedition!

            I was thinking about the other guy, should I enter him into my log as call/xxx or xxx/call. If I understand correctly, I have to enter the call into my LoTW the way the other operator set up his certificate. So I have to follow the way he used it on the air, and not worry what Logger32 prefers. I suppose I could enter it both ways!

            Thanks. MKS

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "russ_wq3x" <combatruss@...> wrote:

            > The contact should be logged "as sent" no matter what you are using as a logging program. When I operate portable I create another LoTW certificate with that call (as sent). If you log it backwards you will be out of luck. That's why it pays to actually copy the call rather than relying on the DXcluster spot being correct.
            >
            > LoTW doesn't care about the sequence as long as there is a certificate for it. Also it doesn't care what country your logging program assigns to it.
            >
            > There was a time that I used WB2QJI and WB2QJI/3 for several years. I was used to sending the /3 from the old days when it was required. During this period I used both calls interchangeably and did not keep track of which call I was using. So I just loaded the same log under WB2QJI and WB2QJI/3 and I get matches either way. (A few zombies, yes.)
            >

            > Russ WQ3X
            >

            > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "stenstro" <stenstro@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I use Logger32 and it accepts a portable call sign as xxx/call or
            > > call/xxx. In the Logger32 help files it says that the call/zzz.
            > >
            > > I can see that I have confirmed contacts in LoTW using the xxx/call
            > > style. Does anyone know if the call/xxx style is recognized by LoTW?
            > >
            > > Thanks, Mike Stenstrom, K6OIX.

          • Phil & Anne Irons
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2012
              Hi Mike... As I understand it, if you we portable in NS, you would sign K6OIX/VE1, and I would sign VE1BVD/W6 in California.  However, I believe that if we were in any other country, I would sign, for example, ZL3/VE1BVD.  I am prepared to be corrected on this.

              I also believe that most, if not all, logging programs will accept either format, but you are correct, the call you log must be the same as the call used by your QSO partner.

              Hope this helps...

              73,

              Phil/VE1BVD

              --