Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: QSTACK Digital

  • Bill Aycock
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2012
      Gil--
      With all due respect, your posts do NOT make sense. Try using proper
      spelling, complete sentences, and make clear references to things we
      understand.
      Bill--W4BSG

      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2012

        I second the motion… there was no understanding the reason for the email or what it was referring to…

        Paul, K1SEZ

        QST will have a complete digital edition starting with June issue first
        available to members only in late May. One of my complaints too that issues
        appear to not be available at or before print, if they will be why does not
        the article in QST which arrived today say so?

        iPad Gil W0MN
        Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

        On May 8, 2012, at 3:24 PM, "Ron Brown" <bctech58@...> wrote:

        > Did I miss something?
        > Ron VA7Hz
        >
        > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > 1. Mad that no app for iPad at start and mad that RIDICULOUS DRM is
        > > being used. I can share my print with others and would not considers
        > > opting out of print if I cannot do the same with digital. DRM is also
        > > why cannot download to mobile. Have they heard of OverDrive?
        > >
        > > 2. No indication if digital and print available simultaneously or even
        > > more reasonable digital first.
        > >
        > > Glad they are trying but not looking good, especially for us iPad users.
        > > No way I will pay 4g access fees so cannot read away from WiFi as I can
        > > with Newspapers and Wired Magazine.
        > >
        > > iPad Gil W0MN
        > > Hierro Candente Batir de Repentei

      • Gil Baron
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2012
          Ok,trying again.
          It should be clear that I am  commenting about Digital Edition of QST that is starting with June issue. Sorry I did not state that.

          I am disappointed that it will use DRM (Digital Rights Management) like ebooks and not even DRM usable on Kindle, Nook, or iPad. That means mobile users MUST have Internet connection to read it and cannot share a copy.

          I am also disappointed with the implication that it will not be available simultaneously with print.

          Even Harry Potter books is available in DRM FREE ePub.

          On May 8, 2012, at 5:28 PM, "Paul Ciezniak" <pciezniak@...> wrote:

          I second the motion… there was no understanding the reason for the email or what it was referring to…

          Paul, K1SEZ

          QST will have a complete digital edition starting with June issue first
          available to members only in late May. One of my complaints too that issues
          appear to not be available at or before print, if they will be why does not
          the article in QST which arrived today say so?

          iPad Gil W0MN
          Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

          On May 8, 2012, at 3:24 PM, "Ron Brown" <bctech58@...> wrote:

          > Did I miss something?
          > Ron VA7Hz
          >
          > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > 1. Mad that no app for iPad at start and mad that RIDICULOUS DRM is
          > > being used. I can share my print with others and would not considers
          > > opting out of print if I cannot do the same with digital. DRM is also
          > > why cannot download to mobile. Have they heard of OverDrive?
          > >
          > > 2. No indication if digital and print available simultaneously or even
          > > more reasonable digital first.
          > >
          > > Glad they are trying but not looking good, especially for us iPad users.
          > > No way I will pay 4g access fees so cannot read away from WiFi as I can
          > > with Newspapers and Wired Magazine.
          > >
          > > iPad Gil W0MN
          > > Hierro Candente Batir de Repentei

        • Gary K9GS

            QST will have a complete digital edition starting with June issue first
            available to members only in late May. One of my complaints too that issues
            appear to not be available at or before print, if they will be why does not
            the article in QST which arrived today say so?

            iPad Gil W0MN
            Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

            On May 8, 2012, at 3:24 PM, "Ron Brown" <bctech58@...> wrote:

            > Did I miss something?
            > Ron VA7Hz
            >
            > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > 1. Mad that no app for iPad at start and mad that RIDICULOUS DRM is
            > > being used. I can share my print with others and would not considers
            > > opting out of print if I cannot do the same with digital. DRM is also
            > > why cannot download to mobile. Have they heard of OverDrive?
            > >
            > > 2. No indication if digital and print available simultaneously or even
            > > more reasonable digital first.
            > >
            > > Glad they are trying but not looking good, especially for us iPad users.
            > > No way I will pay 4g access fees so cannot read away from WiFi as I can
            > > with Newspapers and Wired Magazine.
            > >
            > > iPad Gil W0MN
            > > Hierro Candente Batir de Repentei

            Gary K9GS

            Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
            Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
            CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

          • Gil Baron

              QST will have a complete digital edition starting with June issue first
              available to members only in late May. One of my complaints too that issues
              appear to not be available at or before print, if they will be why does not
              the article in QST which arrived today say so?

              iPad Gil W0MN
              Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

              On May 8, 2012, at 3:24 PM, "Ron Brown" <bctech58@...> wrote:

              > Did I miss something?
              > Ron VA7Hz
              >
              > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Gil Baron W0MN <w0mn@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > 1. Mad that no app for iPad at start and mad that RIDICULOUS DRM is
              > > being used. I can share my print with others and would not considers
              > > opting out of print if I cannot do the same with digital. DRM is also
              > > why cannot download to mobile. Have they heard of OverDrive?
              > >
              > > 2. No indication if digital and print available simultaneously or even
              > > more reasonable digital first.
              > >
              > > Glad they are trying but not looking good, especially for us iPad users.
              > > No way I will pay 4g access fees so cannot read away from WiFi as I can
              > > with Newspapers and Wired Magazine.
              > >
              > > iPad Gil W0MN
              > > Hierro Candente Batir de Repentei

              Gary K9GS

              Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
              Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
              CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

            • Ron Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2012
                Gottcha, now I tend to agree with you

                73 Ron VA7HZ

                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2012

                  Bueno…

                  K1SEZ

                  Paul Ciezniak

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2012
                    Gil--
                    Now I think I understand you. (at last)
                    Many ARRL services are available (on line) to members, but not to
                    non-members. They do this to protect the organization; if non-members had
                    access to everything, membership would drop like a bomb. Look at what
                    happened to World Radio.
                    I don't agree with all the ARRL does, but I think they are important to US
                    hams. Their organization is too fat, and there is too little technical
                    competence at HQ,Newington. However, if they die, we die.
                    Bill--W4BSG