RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: IOTA numbers

  • rojomn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
      That is not what Art said. I don't know, have never used it. How did he get
      the wrong data?

      LotW certainly ahs not excuse here!

      Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
      N 44.082056 W 92.513024 1050'
      Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

    • Dave Bernstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
        My understanding of Art's post is that his logging application was
        rejecting QSLs downloaded from LotW during the synchronization
        process because they contained invalid IOTA tags. I suspect that TQSL
        is the source of these invalid tags; as Joe K4IK pointed out, it
        seems to pass on whatever the user places in its IOTA textbox without
        ensuring that the tag is in XX-NNN format. There is a similar problem
        with CQ and ITU zones, which should be checked for reasonability with
        respect to the DXCC entity; this would prevent most of the "zone
        reversal" cases we've all observed.

      • Art RX9TX
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
          Hello Brian,

          Tuesday, July 13, 2004 Brian Mury wrote to ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com:

          BM> Neither will Logger32, so it's certainly not an indictment of
          BM> Logger32.

          That was my fault, as I did not notice last ver of L32 already can
          handle wrong IOTA number formats. Anyway, from my point of view, any
          user data entered to TQSLcert application should be checked by the
          application for ADIF, DXCC, WAZ or whatever compliance.

          >> Which is actually an indictment of both Logger and LotW. DXKeeper
          >> won't let a user make that mistake.

          >> Expecting users to conform to predefined formats in order to make
          >> life easier for computer programs is ass backwards. The code to
          >> interpret all of the reasonable variations of IOTA tags -- AS7,
          >> AS-7, AS07, AS007, AS-007, etc. -- takes about 5 minutes to write.

          --
          73...Art RX9TX 13-Jul-04 04:21 UTC

          "A prudent question is one half of wisdom." [Francis Bacon]