Question about storing old P12 and Certificates

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 8:30 AM
      I joined LoTW as a beta tester...way back when.
      I've saved all tq6, and made .p12 files for all my calls.

      All are saved to a chip disk and a inhouse network drive.

      I created a folder called  P12 expire in 2016

      My question is: "Is their any reason to save the tq6 and p12 files that have already expired?"

      It's not a question of disk space, it's a question of confusing myself.
      Old brain cells required that I write 'how to notes' for each step of the process. LOL

      Too many similar names and suffixes. LOL

      What would have taken the average 9 year old five minutes, took me over an hour to renew my 3 callsign certs.

      --

      Atheists have nobody to yell to during orgasm.
      ---------------------------

    • Robert Chudek - K0RC
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10 2:50 PM
        Bill,

        tq6 files are a 'one time use'. You can discard them.

        p12 files are 'many time use' but are only valid for your current certificate(s).

        A p12 created in 2005 is of no value. You can discard it.

        73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10 5:18 PM
          Pretty much what I suspected.
          Just wanted to confirm BEFORE the finger hit the 'Oh heck I didn't want to do dat-delete key'. :=)

          On 4/10/12 4:50 PM, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:

[...]

          All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.-Albert Einstein
          ---------------------------
          Ham Radio: Send your signal to INFINITY AND BEYOND!
          W9OL-Bill H. in Chicagoland
          webcams at http://w9ol-towercam.webhop.org:8080
          My weatherpage at http://home.comcast.net/~w9ol/WX/HH.htm

        • Mickey Baker
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12 4:33 PM
            It's not easy, is it? Can you imagine if your bank made it this difficult to get to your money?

            The certificate files are very small. The way I back them up is to sign up for a couple of free email accounts with some storage and email them to those accounts as attachments. I then file them appropriate place within those accounts, or just never delete them. I do the same with my logbook files from my logging program.

            Yahoo! Google, Hotmail, DropBox and others all offer great, free services.

            Put your certificates in the Cloud - and you'll always have them.

            73,

            Mickey N4MB

            On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Bill <w9ol@...> wrote:

[...]

            Mickey Baker, N4MB
            Fort Lauderdale, FL
            “Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.
          • Frank T Brady
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 12 4:48 PM
              I suppose that would provide some safety if you distribute multiple copies among different providers.
              But none of them have any obligation to protect your data.
              On the other hand, the off line backup providers probably don't have enforceable liability either.
              good luck and 73
              frank w0ecs