Re: Random confirmations

  • w0jmp
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012
      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Tom J" <tojohnso@...> wrote:

      > Are you sure they were actually confirmed for you before?
      >
      > Tom, K4TOJ

      Yes, Tom, I am sure. Whenever I get a confirmation I transfer the data to HRD. I know they were previously confirmed because they show confirmed on HRD. On LoTW, they also show the confirmation date, as I said, sometimes a year or more ago!

      Thanks again to all.

      Danny, W0JMP
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012
        I also see this from time to time and have always been curious as to why it happens. I usually check "Most Recent QSLs" everyday and every now and then I see near the top of the list a QSL that has a match date of a few months or years ago. Maybe it has something to do with the definition of "Recent QSL". If I don't get a new match in a certain period of time, the system just re-shuffles. Thanks for bringing it up, interesting discussion.

        Garth, KW4MM

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012

          Gents,

          I am quite surprised, nobody has clarified this topic as yet.

          The explanation is simple, somebody has re-uploaded his entire log again. Not recent QSOs, but the whole log. It is not good for 2 reasons. Ffirst, as we have just seen, it misleads other users, and then, as only newer uploads count, it creates so-called zombies, i.e. unnecessary older copies of QSOs. Nobody can see the copies, but they most probably stay in the LoTW database just wasting servers’ capacity.

          Conclusions are,

          -          Don’t re-upload whole logs again

          -          If somebody did that, don’t worry, it does not affect your own LoTW results.

          73,

          Vladimir VE3IAE

          ---

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012
              I think the most likely cause of these delays are that the DX station has just uploaded his logs for the first time and now you have the match.
              Had these contacts had matches in the past Garth?
              73,
              Kathy w2nk

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012

                Hi Kathy
                Yes, they had matched before and the match date had not changed. Some have suggested that it might be from a re-upload, but I don't think so because the match date did not change. It is just that from time to time one of these older matches show up on the Most Resent QSLs list. Nothing to stress about, just a little odd.

                Greetings from Tennessee.
                Garth, KW4MM

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
                  OK Garth, maybe I was asking the obvious but one never knows...just the other day when I checked my new ones, there were two from an OD5 station that were a couple of years old, so guess the logical conclusion is, I see who just got on LOTW:)
                  What really bugs me is when an old email shows up after a couple of years-like where in world did that sit in cyber world for so long

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Hi all,

                    I did a simple test to see how a re-upload of a QSO would be handled. I
                    uploaded one QSO that had been previously confirmed. It was determined to be
                    a duplicate. The original QSL date was unchanged and as far as I can tell
                    after it was determined that the second upload was a duplicate it was not
                    further processed. There is no evidence of a zombie as there is still only
                    the original QSL in my list. I have always assumed the reason old QSL's
                    would suddenly appear at the top of the list was because of a re-upload, but
                    I don't have the means to determine that for a fact.

                    2012-03-06 03:10:28 LOTW_QSO: WARNING: QSO duplicates existing record
                    2012-03-06 03:10:28 LOTW_QSO: QSO: N4QVM ZD7XF 2012-03-03 15:41:28Z 12M
                    CW
                    2012-03-06 03:10:28 LOTW_QSO: Successfully processed 1 QSO record in
                    0.197080 seconds
                    2012-03-06 03:10:28 LOTW_QSO: 1 record was a duplicate
                    2012-03-06 03:10:28 LOTW_QSO: No errors encountered

                    To see the above information for your account go to Your Account, click on
                    Your Activity on the left and you will get a list of your LoTW uploads.
                    Clicking on Result for any upload will provide the information about that
                    upload.

                    John Dwiggins, N4QVM

                    2a. Re: Random confirmations
                    Posted by: "Garth" Garth@... grhoundsrgr8
                    Date: Mon Mar 5, 2012 4:27 am ((PST))

                    Hi Kathy
                    Yes, they had matched before and the match date had not changed. Some have
                    suggested that it might be from a re-upload, but I don't think so because
                    the match date did not change. It is just that from time to time one of
                    these older matches show up on the Most Resent QSLs list. Nothing to stress
                    about, just a little odd.

                    Greetings from Tennessee.
                    Garth, KW4MM
                  • Robert Chudek - K0RC