Re: Non-US hams vs LOTW

  • Tsvetomir Tishevishki
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 4, 2012
      TQSL process is nothing difficult but there are many people that are afraid to use PC.
      But adding the functionallity to support much awards will motivate many people to join. EQSL system is much less popular and I have more than 50% less QSO confirmations there.
      From my point of view adding functionallity for customer defined awards filters in Award section is nothing so difficult and this will have big benefit.

      73 Tzetzo LZ2FQ

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@...> wrote:

      > I see the statement that LotW is cheaper then paper cards coming back
      > again. If you are member of our national league sending a card costs,
      > when you buy 1000 cards, 9 eurocent + the price for the sticker with the
      > QSO info. Nothing more. And it works for domestic cards as well.
      > Everything else is including in the membership fee of our national
      > league. This is the case for a lot of other countries, at least in EU.
      > So it is cheaper, yes, but not that much.
      >
      > To come back to the original question, why is it so difficult to send a
      > copy of your license to ARRL? It is not. But why would someone do this
      > if there is no significant reason for him to use LotW?
      >
      > Btw, I am trying to convince my club members to use LotW and I got a lot
      > of arguments why they dont want that:
      > - I like cards
      > - sending cards costs only 10 cents or even less if you buy more cards.
      > - I like to write cards because I can put a personal note of the qso on it
      > - I dont do awards so why bother
      > - I tried it once but I did not understand the TQSL process, why so
      > difficult, who cares about cheating, it is just a hobby (Most heard answer).
      > - the vhf/uhf/shf guys: nobody uses it so why should I?
      > - the vhf/uhf/shf guys: if I even get a confirmation they forgot to fill
      > in their maidenhead locator, or they put in the wrong one, so it is not
      > useful for any award
      > - which awards are supported? only dxcc, was and vucc? why not more? is
      > this lotW or lotUSA?
      > - I want WAZ so I use eQSL. They only asked for proof of identity
      > through email.
      > - my logbook program does not support it.
      > - I dont trust computers.
      > - etc etc etc
      >
      > So unless the ARRL makes it a mature tool which can be used by all IARU
      > member societies and other organizations it will never work. If people
      > dont have a personal reason they will come up with all kinds of reasons
      > not to use it.
      >
      > Please help me with good reasons I can use to convince my club members.
      > (It is cheaper is not a good reason).
      >
      > 73 Henk PA5KT
      >

      > Op 03-01-2012 21:30, Wes schreef:
      > > Hi Gordon and HNY,
      > >
      > > Sorry to hear about your hard drive crash, but I hope you get back into LoTW.
      > >
      > > Don't forget, that QSLing isn't just for you, but for the other person that is looking for confirmation from you. LoTW is just a cheaper form of QSLing, especially since postage costs keep going up and up and so many people don't want to bother with QSLing anymore, at all, since it takes a lot of time to fill out hundreds of cards each year.
      > >

      > --
      > Henk Remijn PA5KT
      > email: pa5kt@...
      > www: www.pa5kt.com

    • ds_citroenist
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 6, 2012
        To add some points from the old world..

        - sending and receiving of an unlimited amount of paper-QSL-cards
        is included in DARC (=German ARRL) membership
        (this is also true for a no. of other countries in Europe)

        - people in non-anglistic countries have problems giving personal
        information to 3rd parties, e.g. we would never
        ever tell someone our credit number on phone, the law
        in DL is that all personal information is secret
        (also for the state) unless usage is explicitly allowed,
        so sending a copy of the license to anywhere in the world
        is a problem for many people; just a different culture

        Nethertheless the participation of DL hams in relation to the
        total number of hams is abt the same as in the U.S.
        (according to the HB9BZA statistics)

        So there are many pros and cons, reasons for this or that but after all it seems that didn't find the gist of the matter yet.

        Someone from Cupertino on the list? The fruit company located
        there might have some ideas why a ham can't live without the
        "iQSL"..

        Andy, DF4WC