Re: DXCC anomaly?

  • stewart GW0ETF
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 16, 2011
      Rick,

      LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.

      However when I create a report in LOTW, the ADIF file which is produced lists *all* GR2HQ as 223 (England)- this is the 'wrong' bit.

      I have to apologise for involving Clublog in this! I did have corrections sent to me but they were for GB5CC from earlier IARU contests, so it was me who was getting confused - sorry! At present Clublog has the individual GR2HQ logs available so users can check themselves to see which dxcc they were working so I could manually adjust my log accordingly.

      So you can ignore Clublog and note the only issue is the incorrect data in the adif (report) file produced by LOTW.

      Hope this is clear...too much solar activity affecting my brain I think?

      73,

      Stewart, GW0ETF (Back to 12m....)

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

      > I'm confused.
      > Iain says LoTW got it wrong when it exported the
      > ADIF file. You agree that is the case.
      > But then you said that Clublog corrected the
      > 'wrong' entries. It sounds to me that there's
      > nothing wrong with LoTW or Logger32 - it's a problem with Clublog.
      >
      > They're pretty good about adding overrides to
      > their matching scheme if you let them know.
      > However, it sounds like LoTW hasn't anything to
      > do with the problem you're seeing, correct?
      > 73,
      > -Rick
      >
      > At 05:21 AM 10/16/2011, stewart GW0ETF wrote:
      > >

      > >Iain,
      > >
      > >That's indeed the case...
      > >
      > >The QSOs are all correct in all other respects
      > >and when I send the newly (LOTW) synchronised
      > >log from Logger32 to Clublog the latter corrects
      > >the 'wrong' GR2HQ countries from it's own database.
      > >
      > >Not a big deal and it didn't take long to update
      > >L32 manually, just as long as there aren't regular similar instances.
      > >
      > >73,
      > >
      > >Stewart, GW0ETF
    • Tom Wylie
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 16, 2011
        I think thats the nub of the problem Stewart:

        LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.

        LOTW is a  dumb creature and cannot (to the best of my knowledge) change or alter anything you have submitted.   If you are using Logger32,
        how do YOU know what country identifier has been given to EACH qso?   You would have to have knowledge of where each of the GR stations was located
        and edit your Logger32 log with the correct country identifier BEFORE uploading to LOTW.    LOTW only records what YOU send it and does not try to
        alter or correct anything.   All that happens is that a "no match" will come up  for a QSO if the parameters are not identical.   If Nigel (or whoever) has uploaded the various constituent logs to LOTW he may have identified which Country made which QSO so then Clublog will automatically know and when you submit your ADIF file to Clublog, Clublog
        will know that not all the GR contacts are from England.    If you log qsos using Logger32, then it thinks that all qsos with a GR prefix are in England.   So when you make up your ADIF file for LOTW you are in fact telling LOTW that all the GR qsos were with England.

        Does that make sense.   Its nothing to do with LOTW - nor I would suggest Clublog.

        Tom
        GM4FDM

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 16, 2011
          At 12:46 PM 10/16/2011, stewart GW0ETF wrote:

          >Rick,
          >
          >LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from
          >the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.
          >
          >However when I create a report in LOTW, the ADIF file which is
          >produced lists *all* GR2HQ as 223 (England)- this is the 'wrong' bit.

          Your problem here seems to be unique -- others are reporting that their
          LoTW reports are showing the right DXCC entities.

          Would you mind going to
          <http://www.rickmurphy.net/lotwquery.html>http://www.rickmurphy.net/lotwquery.html
          and generating a report?
          Click on the "Report on QSL Records Only" checkbox to select only
          confirmed contacts, then enter GR2HQ into the "Report on QSOs with
          callsign" field. Now click submit and have a look at the resulting
          report in a text editor. What DXCC entities are showing there?

          If you want to send me a copy of that report I can try to figure out
          what's going on.
        • iain macdonnell - N6ML
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 16, 2011
            That's not entirely true, Tom. LotW doesn't care about the DXCC ID in
            uploaded logs. For QSO matching purposes, it cares about callsign,
            date/time, band and mode. DXCC credit is given for (only) the entity
            specified in the certificate used to sign the other station's log.
            Stewart noted that the correct entities where displayed when he viewed
            his QSLs through the LotW web interface, but when he downloaded an
            ADIF log, those entities were not correct recorded.

            73,

            ~iain / N6ML

            On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Tom Wylie <tgwylie@...> wrote:

            > I think thats the nub of the problem Stewart:
            >
            > LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.
            >
            > LOTW is a  dumb creature and cannot (to the best of my knowledge) change or alter anything you have submitted.   If you are using Logger32,
            > how do YOU know what country identifier has been given to EACH qso?   You would have to have knowledge of where each of the GR stations was located
            > and edit your Logger32 log with the correct country identifier BEFORE uploading to LOTW.    LOTW only records what YOU send it and does not try to
            > alter or correct anything.   All that happens is that a "no match" will come up  for a QSO if the parameters are not identical.   If Nigel (or whoever) has uploaded the various constituent logs to LOTW he may have identified which Country made which QSO so then Clublog will automatically know and when you submit your ADIF file to Clublog, Clublog
            > will know that not all the GR contacts are from England.    If you log qsos using Logger32, then it thinks that all qsos with a GR prefix are in England.   So when you make up your ADIF file for LOTW you are in fact telling LOTW that all the GR qsos were with England.
            >
            > Does that make sense.   Its nothing to do with LOTW - nor I would suggest Clublog.
            >

            > Tom
            > GM4FDM
            >

            > On 16/10/2011 17:46, stewart GW0ETF wrote:
            >
            > LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.

          • N4DW - Dave
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 16, 2011

              There are two possible sets of data available when you query LotW for confirmations.

              1> The default is Without QSL Detail and the resulting ADIF does not contain the country code.

              2> When you check the "Include QSL Detail" box, the data does contain the country code.

              The country code for each side of the QSO comes from the respective certificate used to enter the QSO into LotW. My country code is in my certificate, their country code is in their certificate.

              I had 4 Q's with GR2HQ this year in IARU. Consider them all CW. (If I understand, this could be critical)

              20110709 15m 223

              20110710 80m 223

              20110710 40m 223

              20110709 20m 279

              This info is from 2> above.

              A little further investigation:

              ·         I use N1MM as my contest logger. All four QSO's above were considered as England.

              ·         After a contest I ADIF the log over to DX4Win where again all four QSO's were/are considered England.

              ·         I have not, to this point in time, downloaded confirmations from LotW and merged with my DX4Win log.  So, I do not know if the country code included in the QSL detail would assist DX4Win in determining the correct country.  Who knows, this little exercise may just get me motivated.

              I figured out long ago that keeping track of DXCC worked/confirmed/accepted is not an easy task.  It’s often best to take a break and get back to it later, if you can just remember where you left off.

              I guess that would apply to any award you might be chasing.

              73,

              Dave

              N4DW

              That's not entirely true, Tom. LotW doesn't care about the DXCC ID in

              uploaded logs. For QSO matching purposes, it cares about callsign,

              date/time, band and mode. DXCC credit is given for (only) the entity

              specified in the certificate used to sign the other station's log.

              Stewart noted that the correct entities where displayed when he viewed

              his QSLs through the LotW web interface, but when he downloaded an

              ADIF log, those entities were not correct recorded.

              73,

                  ~iain / N6ML

              On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Tom Wylie <tgwylie@...> wrote:

              > I think thats the nub of the problem Stewart:

              > LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.

              > LOTW is a  dumb creature and cannot (to the best of my knowledge) change or alter anything you have submitted.   If you are using Logger32,

              > how do YOU know what country identifier has been given to EACH qso?   You would have to have knowledge of where each of the GR stations was located

              > and edit your Logger32 log with the correct country identifier BEFORE uploading to LOTW.    LOTW only records what YOU send it and does not try to

              > alter or correct anything.   All that happens is that a "no match" will come up  for a QSO if the parameters are not identical.   If Nigel (or whoever) has uploaded the various constituent logs to LOTW he may have identified which Country made which QSO so then Clublog will automatically know and when you submit your ADIF file to Clublog, Clublog

              > will know that not all the GR contacts are from England.    If you log qsos using Logger32, then it thinks that all qsos with a GR prefix are in England.   So when you make up your ADIF file for LOTW you are in fact telling LOTW that all the GR qsos were with England.

              > Does that make sense.   Its nothing to do with LOTW - nor I would suggest Clublog.

              > Tom

              > GM4FDM

              > On 16/10/2011 17:46, stewart GW0ETF wrote:

              > LOTW records my GR2HQ contacts with the correct DXCCs; presumably from the data included when they were submitted by the individual operators.

              <*> Your email settings:

                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • stewart GW0ETF
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                Rick,

                I've come to the conclusion that you're right in suspecting my problem may be unique....

                I generated a report as you suggested (was unaware of this tool...excellent!) and found that all dxcc numbers were correct. That seemed illogical if the original report was wrong so I double checked I was looking at the original LOTW report file and that was also correct!! Conclusion has to be either I was making incorrect assumptions about LOTW based on what was happening downstream, or looking at the wrong ADI file (unlikely as they are all date/time stamped). Either way I humbly apologise for misleading folks.

                Indisputable fact is that Logger32 didn't update the GR2HQ dxcc data after being synchronised with the (correct?) LOTW report file, meaning that the L32 adif file uploaded to Clublog would be wrong, viz all listed as England. This could well be down to me doing a 'qsl update only' sync so I'm not assuming anything wrong with that logger. Anyhow I'm happy to let this go now but would like to thank everyone for their help and again apologies for any confusion I've caused..!

                Humble pie for breakfast.......

                73,

                Stewart, GW0ETF

                --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

                > Your problem here seems to be unique -- others are reporting that their
                > LoTW reports are showing the right DXCC entities.
                >
                > Would you mind going to
                > <http://www.rickmurphy.net/lotwquery.html>http://www.rickmurphy.net/lotwquery.html
                > and generating a report?
              • Tom Wylie
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                  I'm not sure how it was done last year but previously my understanding is that Nigel G3TXF uploaded the IARU logs to LOTW using 4 certificates, one for the stations operating in Scotland one for the Station operating in England etc.    He used the different logs from each of the participating stations so they would be separate and the various QSOs would
                  be uploaded into their correct countries.

                  I would have thought that if I were to work GR2HQ using Logger 32 it would default to ENGLAND and therefore my question is,   if in fact I worked a GR2HQ who was in WALES,
                  would that constitute a match in LOTW, if the call, time and frequency were otherwise correct.

                  Surely if you do an ADIF download from LOTW is only sends back YOUR CONFIRMED QSOs (ie those which have a match).   Surely if the country identifier is not the
                  same, there would be NO MATCH - or is that incorrect?????

                  Tom
                  GM4FDM

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                    At 04:17 AM 10/17/2011, stewart GW0ETF wrote:

                    >Rick,
                    >
                    >I've come to the conclusion that you're right in suspecting my problem
                    >may be unique....

                    Actually, Dave N4DW explained the cause: when you download a report
                    from LoTW and don't select the "Include QSL Detail" box, then the
                    download won't have the DXCC entity included! This means that your
                    logging program then has to guess what to use.

                    >I generated a report as you suggested (was unaware of this
                    >tool...excellent!) and found that all dxcc numbers were correct. That
                    >seemed illogical if the original report was wrong so I double checked
                    >I was looking at the original LOTW report file and that was also
                    >correct!! Conclusion has to be either I was making incorrect
                    >assumptions about LOTW based on what was happening downstream, or
                    >looking at the wrong ADI file (unlikely as they are all date/time
                    >stamped). Either way I humbly apologise for misleading folks.

                    I think it's likely that at one point you missed checking the "QSL
                    detail" box and that's why the LoTW download gave you bad
                    results. That's just another little thing to worry about with LoTW.

                    I'm glad you've gotten it sorted out.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                      At 06:10 AM 10/17/2011, Tom Wylie wrote:

                      >Surely if you do an ADIF download from LOTW is only sends back YOUR
                      >CONFIRMED QSOs (ie those which have a match). Surely if the country
                      >identifier is not the
                      >same, there would be NO MATCH - or is that incorrect?????

                      When preparing logs for upload to LoTW, the software does not include
                      the DXCC entity that you think the other station is in. Only your
                      entity is specified. That means that the other station's location
                      information (entity, zones, grid square, etc.) is used to populate a
                      confirmation. What your log says doesn't matter; what matters is what
                      the other station says for their location.

                      Therefore, what entity you think someone is in doesn't matter for the
                      match. Only call, date, band, and mode (mode group) must match to
                      create a QSL.

                      This is incidentally one reason why LoTW isn't a replacement or backup
                      for a full logging program: it retains only a small subset of the data
                      for your QSOs. You can't recover entity information from unconfirmed
                      contacts from a LoTW download.
                    • Tom Wylie
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                        That makes it pretty clear! It does make a mockery out of the UKs decision
                        as well as having different Country Identifiers, to have a universal
                        identifier for the UK as a whole. Only the actual
                        operator knows where the actual country of operation is at any given
                        time. For example there could be
                        4 stations working for GR2HQ on top band, interconnected via the
                        internet. The main station
                        might well be in England, but when propagation changes, he may decide to
                        QRT and tell the Scottish operator to start up,
                        so that GR2HQ is then operating in Scotland, as grey line approaches,
                        for that extra half hour, the station might "move" to Northern Ireland.

                        How does anybody know (except the operator) where the station is
                        located. Kinda makes a mockery of the Country Identifier Prefix.

                        Tom
                        GM4FDM

                        On 17/10/2011 11:35, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:

                        > At 06:10 AM 10/17/2011, Tom Wylie wrote:
                        >
                        > >Surely if you do an ADIF download from LOTW is only sends back YOUR
                        > >CONFIRMED QSOs (ie those which have a match). Surely if the country
                        > >identifier is not the
                        > >same, there would be NO MATCH - or is that incorrect?????
                        >
                        > When preparing logs for upload to LoTW, the software does not include
                        > the DXCC entity that you think the other station is in. Only your
                        > entity is specified. That means that the other station's location
                        > information (entity, zones, grid square, etc.) is used to populate a
                        > confirmation. What your log says doesn't matter; what matters is what
                        > the other station says for their location.
                        >
                        > Therefore, what entity you think someone is in doesn't matter for the
                        > match. Only call, date, band, and mode (mode group) must match to
                        > create a QSL.
                        >
                        > This is incidentally one reason why LoTW isn't a replacement or backup
                        > for a full logging program: it retains only a small subset of the data
                        > for your QSOs. You can't recover entity information from unconfirmed
                        > contacts from a LoTW download.
                        > 73,
                        > -Rick

                      • stewart GW0ETF
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                          Tom,

                          On the contrary Tom I think the system works ok. Each operator in GR2HQ uploaded their own logs with the relevant DXCC information to LOTW. When your submitted contacts with GR2HQ find a match according to the information described by Rick, the resulting QSL shows you worked GR2HQ in the correct 'country' in each case. You'll know where each station was after you've uploaded your log, or you can inspect the actual logs which are on Clublog.

                          Seems pretty neat to me.

                          73,

                          Stewart, GW0ETF (Awards Manager, GR2HQ 2011)

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 17, 2011
                            Thats dependent upon each operator or a nominated person correctly
                            uploading the logs. How many Special Event Call signs do that?
                            Like I said I dont know how it was done in 2011 only in previous years.

                            Tom
                            GM4FDM