How to do it...

  • Tom Horton
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
      Don't ask why...obviously I screwed something up again...seems to happen more often these days.
      Is there any way to convert a .tq8 file back to an .adi file?
      It seems that I need to rebuild a log...ugh.
       Tom K5IID
    • Art R8TX
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
        Tom Horton wrote:

        TH> Don't ask why...obviously I screwed something up again...seems to happen more often these days.
        TH> Is there any way to convert a .tq8 file back to an .adi file?
        TH> It seems that I need to rebuild a log...ugh.
        TH> Tom K5IID

        tq8 is just a zip archive so you can unzip it and see what you can do.

        --
        R8TX (ex RX9TX)
        http://r8tx.qrz.ru

        "To be loved, be lovable." [Ovid]
      • Tom Wylie
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
          Not that I know of, but if your log is already in LOTW you can recover
          it as an ADIF file is very easy.

          Tom
          GM4FDM

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
            At 10:54 AM 10/2/2011, Tom Horton wrote:

            >Don't ask why...obviously I screwed something up again...seems to
            >happen more often these days.
            >Is there any way to convert a .tq8 file back to an .adi file?
            >It seems that I need to rebuild a log...ugh.

            Yes, depending on what tools you have on your system and how much work
            it's worth to you.

            The .tq8 file is a GZIP compressed file (not the same as a zip file).
            You can convert it to a text file using various means.
            For example, copy it to "callsign.adif.gz" - you can now open it with
            WinZIP, which will give you a plain ADIF file. Or, you can copy it to a
            UNIX system and use 'gunzip' to uncompress it. Or, you can install a
            version of gunzip for windows - see
            <http://www.gzip.org/>http://www.gzip.org/ for pointers to programs to
            unpack it.

            Once you're done, what you get will be a file that's not exactly an
            ADIF file so it'll take some editing.

            It's probably easier to import that tq8 into LoTW, then ask LoTW for a
            real ADIF log extract. Note that TrustedQSL doesn't include all of the
            data from your ADIF export when it signs a log - callsign, mode, time,
            band, grid, etc. will be there, but that's about it.
            (Essentially, everything you can get back from the LoTW site.)
          • KA7O
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
              On 10/02/2011 04:53 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:
              > For example, copy it to "callsign.adif.gz" - you can now open it with
              > WinZIP, which will give you a plain ADIF file. Or, you can copy it to a
              > UNIX system and use 'gunzip' to uncompress it. Or, you can install a
              > version of gunzip for windows - see
              > <http://www.gzip.org/>http://www.gzip.org/ for pointers to programs to
              > unpack it.

              May I recommend 7Zip for Windows? Handles gz, zip and other compression
              formats in a GUI and is a tad easier for the initiate to deal with than
              gzip.

              http://www.7-zip.org/

              In fact, the gzip.org site recommends 7zip to install gzip!

              73
            • barramunda@juno.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
                I found out what I was doing wrong. Thanks.
                walt

                Walter J. Stauffer
                7532 North Ontario St.
                Sodus Point, NY 14555
                Tel. 315.483.4190

                On 10/02/2011 04:53 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:

                > For example, copy it to "callsign.adif.gz" - you can now open it with
                > WinZIP, which will give you a plain ADIF file. Or, you can copy it to a
                > UNIX system and use 'gunzip' to uncompress it. Or, you can install a
                > version of gunzip for windows - see
                > <http://www.gzip.org/>http://www.gzip.org/ for pointers to programs to
                > unpack it.

                May I recommend 7Zip for Windows? Handles gz, zip and other compression
                formats in a GUI and is a tad easier for the initiate to deal with than
                gzip.

                http://www.7-zip.org/

                In fact, the gzip.org site recommends 7zip to install gzip!

                Mortgage Rates Hit 2.50%
                White House Program Cuts Up To $1000 Off Monthly Mortgage Payments! (3.1% APR)
                SeeRefinanceRates.com