Re: Installing and Using LotW

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 6, 2011

      David,

      I agree with Sean. Setting up LoTW the first time was a daunting task for me that took three tries over a period of about 8 months. But once you're past that it's easy to use and well worth the effort. Also, if you haven't seen it yet take a look at this link: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW. The instructions there are infinitely easier to understand than those on the ARRL site. Hang in there with LoTW and you'll be glad you did.

      Tom - KØTW

      > David,
      >
      > I'd be more than happy to assist you. If you want to get on the air, or talk over the phone, I'm willing to help. I had issues at first, but now that I'm using it, I love it.
      >
      > Sean
      > W8OKN
      >

      > On Sep 6, 2011, at 5:39 PM, David wrote:
      >
      > > I have worked with complicated systems before, but I would have to say this one is just plain stupid. I find myself circling around in this program and wasting more and more time. I got the postcard, supposedly got the Certificate and from then on its plain nuts.
      > >
      > > If anyone cares, and I doubt they do, I am deleting the thing and tearing up the card. I have logging programs that may not be as special as this, but as least they are plain and easy to use.
      > >
      > > You might know ARRL would be connected with something that an ordinary user would give up on.
      > >
      > > Life is too short for this dumb thing.
      > >

      > W8OKN
      > w8okn1977@...
      > www.panoramio.com/user/366795

    • fly1jet
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 8, 2011
        Thanks to Dave, there's more than enough info. on the web to prepare for LoTW as a new user.

        Since the postcard has to be sent by snail mail, this allows lots of downtime to prepare for an easy transition to LoTW, once the postcard & email arrive.

        My logging software (DXKeeper) does a super easy job of 1) uploading, and 2) sync with it. There is no converting, and other than deciding if you want all, or a few contacts uploaded to LoTW, it could not be simpler.

        The only way for us to pass along (Elmer) new things to the new operators is by first learning them amongst ourselves. This requires patience, and perseverance. And, compared to electronics theory or circuits, it's simple! Let's use the tools at our disposal while encouraging others during our time spent in the hobby.

        John - KW9W