Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Error with new certificate

  • Andrew O'Brien
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2011
      Aha!  Thanks Steve.  I requested it on my laptop and tried to load on the desktop.

      Andy K3UK

      On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...> wrote:

      At 10:31 PM 7/14/2011, Andrew O'Brien wrote:

      >When I use the latest TrustedQSL from via LoTW site , and then attempt
      >to load the TQ6 attachment that came with via email from ARRL with my
      >requested renewed certificate, , I get an error message. User
      >Certificate is the error. Zero loaded, Zero duplicates, 1 error. No
      >"gold emblem" is seen. I see that the Root Certficate is listed as
      >Zero loaded, ONE duplicate, Zero loaded. Same for CA Certificate and
      >Configuration Date. Private Keys is zero across the board.
      >
      >I tried several times via several uninstalls and re-install, deleted
      >all past TQ6 files. OS is Windows XP

      When you request a new or renewed certificate, the associated private
      key is created on the computer that you use to create the certificate
      request. You can ONLY load the resulting TQ6 file on a system that has
      the associated private key.

      That means that you can't use the TQ6 file on some other computer.

      That also means that if you decided to reformat your computer system
      between requesting the certificate and loading the TQ6 file, it won't
      work either.

      Once you complete the cert signing Kabuki dance, you can move it
      anywhere you want using a .p12 export. But until the request and
      response get joined on the same computer, you're stuck.

      If you've done the (apparently common practice in ham circles) reformat
      of the computer where you issued the certificate request, the easiest
      thing to do is to generate a new request and avoid wiping your hard
      drive until after the response is received. :-)